New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Quitou

Re: New Member Here

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, ..... We have "been here, done that and have the tee shirt" to prove it.
I think you should put, "Everything is doable" on your shirt. It'll make you feel better. :lol:

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 pm

You are wasting your time – she will just troll and troll, repeating how long she has been living here, how much wisdom and experience she got, and how it's impossible to move here because you don't have all this sacred knowledge.

Getting back to the topic – how about photos for AirBnB and other expensive property as one of the income sources? I have a feeling that at least half the south has some rent income.

By the way, be careful with being a tax resident of Chile and selling photos to US clients – the tax treaty is still pending and it means 30% royalty tax.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm
Guess I'm looking for more advice than - you're too big of an idiot to pull this off. LOL
I actually gave you some advice in an earlier post. Maybe you didnt notice....

If whatever Gloria or I have posted makes you look before you leap, that's good enough. The advice is well meant and based on sometimes bitter experience. But if all you want to hear is good news....sorry.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am
eat shit and die!
And there is another awesome t-shirt quote. I'd recommend pairing that one with a puppy or cat illustration.

Anyway...now that the drama has subsided.

That's great information about the 30% tax treaty. I don't foresee sale of services crossing any borders. I spent roughly four days searching the available photography services in and around Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas. It was pretty slim. I definitely see opportunity for real estate and commercial property imagery. Just a quick sort through brochures, websites and other media shows some pretty subpar shooting. What got this ball rolling was my recent trip down the Carretera Austral. In just that 18 days lugging around full camera gear, I had one rafting company, three hotels, and a charter airplane service all ask me for photography services. One rafting company flat out offered me a job, which is not really something I'd consider, but I think there are opportunities.

I bought a ticket to head back down in March. My wife is stoked.

fraggle092, You did offer good advice and it was very much appreciated.

At this point, I really want to move to Chile for one reason. I want to be Gloria's neighbor. :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am
You just cannot accept an assertive woman that against all odds....made it.
Nothing to do with your gender and achievements, I don't support this style of communication in general.
Quitou wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am
And there is another awesome t-shirt quote. I'd recommend pairing that one with a puppy or cat illustration.
I suggest a space cat illustration:
https://thatshirtwascash.com/products/pb-j-spacecat
Quitou wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am
That's great information about the 30% tax treaty. I don't foresee sale of services crossing any borders. I spent roughly four days searching the available photography services in and around Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas. It was pretty slim. I definitely see opportunity for real estate and commercial property imagery. Just a quick sort through brochures, websites and other media shows some pretty subpar shooting. What got this ball rolling was my recent trip down the Carretera Austral. In just that 18 days lugging around full camera gear, I had one rafting company, three hotels, and a charter airplane service all ask me for photography services. One rafting company flat out offered me a job, which is not really something I'd consider, but I think there are opportunities.
The problem with these photos that they were probably done by a landlord's nephew who owns a good camera. But lots of Santiaguinos and expats are moving down south (even "unpopular" Valdivia has been growing in a few years a lot) – offering a Santiago-tier service here could soon become quite profitable. For example, we have an expat friend who sells almost exclusively to Chilean Germans and lives from it (baking).

But things are not fast here, so as others said in the thread about cost of living – something around $50k for not working for 2 years would be perfect. I'd say $20-25k for one year is good too unless your business needs a lot of time or has high expenses like rent. I believe this is where stock photo could help – even $500/mo can make a big difference in the south.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am

There's actually a phpBB extension that can be used to block/filter posts from specific users, although that needs to be implemented by admin. The best way to handle internet trolls is to simply ignore them.

More on topic, the "$50k for two years not working" estimative is true and tested. That should easily be enough to cover the living costs of up to a couple, as long as no luxuries are involved. There's indeed a detailed discussion about this on the "Cost of living in Chile" topic.

In terms of making business in Chile, I would really recommend having Chile as a base and catering to clients elsewhere. Not only that will make you Income Tax exempt, it will make you location-independent if/when you decide to move out.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am
In terms of making business in Chile, I would really recommend having Chile as a base and catering to clients elsewhere. Not only that will make you Income Tax exempt, it will make you location-independent if/when you decide to move out.
Good advice, especially since this is a grey area that is still pretty unregulated - for now. But sooner or later the government will start looking for their cut. Increasing supervision and control has been the tendency over the past 20 years.

To give an idea of the legislation already in place, please look at this document, especially where it refers to payments for services like Google AdWords. They are not enforcing the obligation to declare the 35% additional tax that the government levies on payments made under this concept - for now.
No sé si recuerdan que hace algún tiempo el Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SII), dentro de sus atribuciones de fiscalización, solicitó a la empresa Google ciertos antecedentes respecto de los pagos que empresas y personas chilenas realizaban por sus servicios. Esto mismo podría ocurrir con cualquier sitio que, para acceder a sus servicios, cobre una tarifa, como es el caso de Skype, Whatsapp y otros prestadores que utilizan la plataforma internet para entregar sus prestaciones (independiente si el cobro es bajo o alto)
This just what they can do already.....and they can monitor all payments made through the Chilean credit card system as well.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Quitou, if you do a search you'll see that newbies are often dealt with harshly. It's part of the forum culture (led by Gloria). It's supposed to be to stop people coming here who might be making a mistake, but I am not sure about that, at least it could be done more politely. I often wonder if the admin has ever stopped to consider how much money he has lost as a result of this attitude. He said himself people come to the forum and then become his clients. And it's quite obvious that other potential newbies will see these threads and not bother to post here. So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.
So nice of you to be concerned.

From now on, only nice news and positive sentiments!
Everything is lovely in Chilito.

All negative posters will be banned!!!!!

Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Postive thinking conquers all even idiotic bureacracy, rotos, flaites sizing you up for lunch and turns magical thinking into real majic so everything becomes and will be honeky dory while riding the back of a unicorn over the Chilean rainbow. :P

One thing old-timers have seen is the low percent of developed world persons that make it past 5 years in Chile.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm
Good advice, especially since this is a grey area that is still pretty unregulated - for now. But sooner or later the government will start looking for their cut. Increasing supervision and control has been the tendency over the past 20 years.
I think he was talking about 3-year tax holiday on foreign income for newcomers.
fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm
From now on, only nice news and positive sentiments!
Everything is lovely in Chilito.

All negative posters will be banned!!!!!
The problem is not in describing downsides of the country but in providing little practical advice while going ad hominem towards new members for no reasons other than showing off.

Yeah, we got it – immigration is hard, life in Chile could be tough, and starting a business in a new country is a very risky affair because most of entrepreneurs fail even in their home countries.

Now let's go beyond these facts and brainstorm ideas for a fellow immigrant based on our knowledge. I personally sent some PMs to the OP because I know a thing or two about getting money from photography.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Immigration is not easy even in case of the most immigrant-friendly developed countries:

"One third of the Immigrants to Canada return Home"
http://www.canadaupdates.com/2016/09/09 ... kle-trend/

But it's not a reason to treat newcomers like losers who can't make it before they even try.

(Funny that I usually encounter this kind of hostile attitudes in Russian-speaking communities. The English-speaking part of the Internet is much more friendly and supportive on average, that's why I hang out there most of the time.)