New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

David_Bro

Re: New Member Here

Post by David_Bro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 am

Hmmmmm not really just calling out an ass by an ass already

####

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

David_Bro wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Photojournalist here, shooting spot and breaking news and features for newspapers, magazines and online media on assignment and for the wire service-----lived on and off in Chile for months and years in Chile since 1984.
For a PJ specializing in Latin America, Chile would be an excellent choice in location----even living remotely in Patagonia as you can fly north or south and get out to where you want to be. Working as a photographer in Chile there would be a certain amount of business but probably not much.

Good luck!!!!
David, I received an email notification this post is still ongoing and couldn't leave your reply unacknowledged. Thank you for taking the time to offer such a detailed response. Thank you.

I have made a few more inquiries with my contacts in Chile and have quite a bit more information than I did just two weeks ago. I spoke with a commercial photographer in Santiago who provided helpful information, and nothing sounded like I was nuts for pursuing this direction. I have made it a point to always diversify my work in the event I need take jobs outside my normal scope, and that appears to be necessary given where I want to end up. I've done everything from shooting projects for Fiat-Chrysler to taking baby pictures for friends of friends. I'm okay with getting creative with my work opportunities.

That's good information about equipment security. Much of my work lately has been travel imagery shot in some sketchy parts of the world. I stopped walking around with $15,000 worth of gear a while ago. Camera tech as of late helps with good kit now available for less cash. Helps me chose when and where to use my top shelf gear.

Anyway - thank you for the detailed reply. I still don't think this particular resource (allchile) is for me, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your input.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Quitou wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I still don't think this particular resource (allchile) is for me, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your input.
It would be difficult to compare a heavily moderated board with almost not moderated (and thus exposed to the "survival of the fittest" law). Both models have their downsides, yet they both allow one to adapt to the manner they function (possibly just for the fun of it).

Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm
Rockalbert wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm
Hello,
I'm peter albert and i'm new to tis community too.....I hope i'll have a great time
Hey there, are you in Chile already or just preparing to move?
preparing to move....I'll be there next month maybe

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am

Hey Q-----Thanks for responding, as photographers, we have to stick together----left you a PM so check it----In regard to the All Chile Forum----no one is innocent here with some naughty posts for sure but its a great community even if some are a little cranky and looking to pick a fight----but not always the case, even with the crankier types------so hopefully you come back and make some connections, you would be surprised to see what comes up but at any rate good luck with your work.

lates, bro

PS: Besides if something goes down, Charles and his team are nice to have in your corner for sure!

###

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

If I don't moderate, people complain that I am not moderating the forum.

If I moderate, people complain that I am censoring their speech.

I just went with the one that seems to generate the least amount of complaining.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am

Not matter what you do or say...people will complain and run their mouth to no end. If you speak the truth, you are a bad person and cause problems....let's hang'em high. If you don't say anything, put your tail between your legs, make a hole in the ground and kiss your ass good bye. There's no winning situation. There's always a controversy. What's a person to do?...that's the million dollar question.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

picalena

Post by picalena » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

While I might agree that sometimes we can be a smidge rough, I think admin's sentiment rings entirely true. If you can't handle a little abuse on a forum where you can completely ignore someone that you have never even met, probably never will meet, and isn't even in your presence, Chile is going to be a very very tough place for you when you get here. People are going to call you fat, black, retarded, short, lazy, whatever. To your face, or yelling at you across the street to get your attention. They will either give you no information, or more likely, completely wrong information or unhelpful information. Just wait until you see how they treat a line/queue. They will ignore you, cut right in front of you, yell louder than you, run you over. They will tell you a thousand times that they are coming to your house to fix the plumbing or come for onces and never fooking show up. Those rafting companies and whatnot that want to hire you - good luck with that. I can already tell you EXACTLY how that is going to end. It's a good thing you sell the whole package, because you would be appalled at the lack of the concept of intellectual property - they don't even think there is anything wrong with stealing it. The person that you really really need help from is a "low level individual" who sits behind the desk at RC and doesn't like foreigners and will tell you something that is intentionally wrong a thousand times when you know you are right.

David Bro's description of the pie and the corridors could not be any more spot on. I call Chile death by a thousand cuts. Regardless, this forum is but a mere fraction of the shite that is going to happen in Chile. If you get your panties in a wad over it, you won't make it here. If you think you are going to change people by making cute jokes about cute sayings on cute t-shirts, you are fooked. Sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon, they just don't have that gene. So toughen up a little and get over it. Gloria may have been a little rough, but the escalation came from the other side on this one, in my opinion. Snowflakes don't last in Chile. If you don't like the answer you get, just go the next slice of pie. You can ignore Gloria. Like I say, learning to not shit down your leg when a random Chilean starts screaming at you for no reason is a very handy skill to learn. I could go on for days about the changes I have seen in the gringos that actually make it here. They show up all unicorns and rainbows, and in the end they're all shotguns and f-bombs. That's how you survive in Chile. You know how I made it? I carry a f-ing axe. That's how. True story.

cheers,
pl

pd: Gosh, I miss Px.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm

"Sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon"? Obviously they're not Americans but I've definitely met Chileans that can handle sarcasm and even dish it back.

Of course the average person's sense of humor here is of course different..........I guess more "juvenile" is the right term in English to describe it.

And maybe I'm some exception but I certainly didn't show up here with any unicorns or rainbows, and I don't do "shotguns and f-bombs" now xD.

I understand that the thin skinned won't last long here in Chilito, but I don't need see any need to purpose to start online arguments or insult newcomers, just let them bump their heads themselves if they are really interested in doing so.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm
I understand that the thin skinned won't last long here in Chilito, but I don't need see any need to purpose to start online arguments or insult newcomers, just let them bump their heads themselves if they are really interested in doing so.
Exactly this.
picalena wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am
People are going to call you fat, black, retarded, short, lazy, whatever. To your face, or yelling at you across the street to get your attention. They will either give you no information, or more likely, completely wrong information or unhelpful information. Just wait until you see how they treat a line/queue. They will ignore you, cut right in front of you, yell louder than you, run you over.
I call Chile death by a thousand cuts. Regardless, this forum is but a mere fraction of the shite that is going to happen in Chile. If you get your panties in a wad over it, you won't make it here. If you think you are going to change people by making cute jokes about cute sayings on cute t-shirts, you are fooked.
Like I say, learning to not shit down your leg when a random Chilean starts screaming at you for no reason is a very handy skill to learn. I could go on for days about the changes I have seen in the gringos that actually make it here.
Each time I read something like this from immigrants, I feel like I live in a different country. Maybe it's overpopulation in the central regions to blame – after all, people from huge cities like New York are considered rude too.

I walk around the city every day and I've yet to see a person screaming at somebody. Nobody has been rude towards me (though I'm not working or doing business locally). All government official were helpful and never ever hostile.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm

picalena wrote:
Gloria may have been a little rough, but the escalation came from the other side on this one, in my opinion.
You should re-read the thread.
pd: Gosh, I miss Px.
Px? Patagoniax? Somebody that hated Chileans so much that I wonder why he was still in Chile.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm
You should re-read the thread.
Exactly!....why don't we.....because there was absolutely nothing I said to cause such a flare of drama and b.s.

" fraggle092 wrote: ↑Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 am
Quitou wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:58 pm
I could easily show up and work the first 6 months for free and win a crap load of possitive exposure.
It doesn't work like that here, don't even think about doing anything for free.
The idea of establishing goodwill is completely alien to the Chilean way of thinking.
Me For me is fascinating to read about those that want to come here mesmerized by the beauty of this country without weighting the difficulties and obstacles you'll find in the way "to conquer Chile" and with a foreigners mind...." how complicated can it be?"..."if it works in my country why not here ?. The fact is whatever makes sense "out there" here's the opposite including good intentions. This is a totally different "culture" ( if you can call it that). Chileans are not business minded at all. Don't have a clue to what customer service is all about therefore almost non existent. Chilean businesses are under the belief that THEY are "doing you a favor for serving you" including and more so banks, major department stores etc. so if anyone one thinks that in Chile the "customer is number one" as it is in other countries........think again. Little things become HUGE and simple, basic things....very complicated....and the list goes on."

" Quitou wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:11 pm
fraggle092 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 pm
Generating an income from inside the country is not so easy. For starters, if you don't speak fluent Chilean Spanish, forget it. Linguistic proficiency only comes with an understanding of the underlying culture.
When is anything in life easy??

I'm obviously new to the nuances of Chilean culture but didn't see anything unusual to overcome. All corners of the world have their own cultural peccadilloes, even rural Alaska. Granted, I've only spent an accumulated 7 weeks in Chile, but I was working that entire time with lots of interactions with other business owners. I clearly have a ton of improvements to make with my Spanish, but that's not overwhelming.

Guess I'm looking for more advice than - you're too big of an idiot to pull this off. LOL
I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land? We didn't arrived yesterday, in fact some of us have 10 or more years under our belt. We have "been here, done that and have the tee shirt" to prove it, so I would ask you to be more specific to avoid wasting yours and our time."

" Gloria wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Me I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land?
*******That's more projection. I didn't say I have the answers. I clearly said I don't. You also haven't offered any. You said I'm of the ilk mesmerized by the beauty of Chile but haven't weighed the difficulties of relocating there. Not sure where you got that impression. I'm obviously seeking answers to assess the challenges.

*******The majority of what I've received thus far from a couple of you is that it won't be easy. Having lived in Nepal, remote Alaska, France and Morocco I'm sure you're right. I Never said moving to Chile would be easy. It does beg the question -- what makes you capable of it, but not me? The only other quip I received is that I'm in this to "conquer Chile." Your words. And ridiculous.

*********I asked about any available information relative to starting a professional service business and the best I got was cloaked versions of - don't bother.

*********I didn't say I have any answers. I have said, just because it'll be hard doesn't mean I'm going to throw up my hands and ditch the idea.

*********Gloria, you seem like you need a hug. :) "

" Gloria wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, ..... We have "been here, done that and have the tee shirt" to prove it.
I think you should put, "Everything is doable" on your shirt. It'll make you feel better. :lol: "

" Quitou wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 am
Gloria wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land?
********That's more projection. I didn't say I have the answers. I clearly said I don't. You also haven't offered any.********Me I don't remember you asking for my permission to come here so you need to figure the answers on your own unless you decide to hire Charles services and his advice will cost you.********** You said I'm of the ilk mesmerized by the beauty of Chile but haven't weighed the difficulties of relocating there.*********Me The only thing you need to do is let your fingers do the walking thru the internet. In fact a member or two in this forum have already given you their advice. The problem is you are not paying attention.******** Not sure where you got that impression. I'm obviously seeking answers to assess the challenges. Me You seem to get "hanged up" in petty things.

*******The majority of what I've received thus far from a couple of you is that it won't be easy. Having lived in Nepal, remote Alaska, France and Morocco I'm sure you're right.Me I know, I know...you already mention it 3 times. ******* I Never said moving to Chile would be easy. It does beg the question -- what makes you capable of it, Me I was born here darling and I know the language inside out and the culture....is that good enough for you?****** but not me? The only other quip I received is that I'm in this to "conquer Chile." Your words. And ridiculous. Me Once again I must say you are very petty and combative.

*******I asked about any available information relative to starting a professional service business and the best I got was cloaked versions of - don't bother.Me False! You must have ADD. You didn't even realize that the Admn himself replied with an answer.Take the bother to look back.

********I didn't say I have any answers. I have said, just because it'll be hard doesn't mean I'm going to throw up my hands and ditch the idea.

Gloria, you seem like you need a hug. :) Cute!
Me All the answers to your questions are right here, for free and for you to search them.Don't expect others to do it for you. We already have enough in our plate with our everyday chores to be concerned with ungrateful newcomers. As far as myself goes, I'm a person of extremely short patience therefore I reached my limit and I'm also done with giving advice. You are on your own and if whatever you want to call what was given to you here was not satisfactory, then pay a "professional" to help you.. No need for you to reply." Me..end of my answer.

Now, in all fairness, where do you see the "rough" part in my answers.Please point them out for me because even though I wear glasses, I just don't see it. I only replied to his answers without any sarcasm or rude comments or anything. Why all the drama I would like to know.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.