New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Re: New Member Here

Post by Britkid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Quitou, if you do a search you'll see that newbies are often dealt with harshly. It's part of the forum culture (led by Gloria). It's supposed to be to stop people coming here who might be making a mistake, but I am not sure about that, at least it could be done more politely. I often wonder if the admin has ever stopped to consider how much money he has lost as a result of this attitude. He said himself people come to the forum and then become his clients. And it's quite obvious that other potential newbies will see these threads and not bother to post here. So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.
So nice of you to be concerned.

From now on, only nice news and positive sentiments!
Everything is lovely in Chilito.

All negative posters will be banned!!!!!
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Postive thinking conquers all even idiotic bureacracy, rotos, flaites sizing you up for lunch and turns magical thinking into real majic so everything becomes and will be honeky dory while riding the back of a unicorn over the Chilean rainbow. :P

One thing old-timers have seen is the low percent of developed world persons that make it past 5 years in Chile.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm
Good advice, especially since this is a grey area that is still pretty unregulated - for now. But sooner or later the government will start looking for their cut. Increasing supervision and control has been the tendency over the past 20 years.
I think he was talking about 3-year tax holiday on foreign income for newcomers.
fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm
From now on, only nice news and positive sentiments!
Everything is lovely in Chilito.

All negative posters will be banned!!!!!
The problem is not in describing downsides of the country but in providing little practical advice while going ad hominem towards new members for no reasons other than showing off.

Yeah, we got it – immigration is hard, life in Chile could be tough, and starting a business in a new country is a very risky affair because most of entrepreneurs fail even in their home countries.

Now let's go beyond these facts and brainstorm ideas for a fellow immigrant based on our knowledge. I personally sent some PMs to the OP because I know a thing or two about getting money from photography.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm
One thing old-timers have seen is the low percent of developed world persons that make it past 5 years in Chile.
You are so right about that. Good observation.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Immigration is not easy even in case of the most immigrant-friendly developed countries:

"One third of the Immigrants to Canada return Home"
http://www.canadaupdates.com/2016/09/09 ... kle-trend/

But it's not a reason to treat newcomers like losers who can't make it before they even try.

(Funny that I usually encounter this kind of hostile attitudes in Russian-speaking communities. The English-speaking part of the Internet is much more friendly and supportive on average, that's why I hang out there most of the time.)

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
Quitou, if you do a search you'll see that newbies are often dealt with harshly. It's part of the forum culture (led by Gloria). It's supposed to be to stop people coming here who might be making a mistake,
I was a forum moderator for several years. I think the reality is, forums allow people to express the darker side of their personalities where they get to be a-holes with no consequences.

I certainly appreciate people warning me of the challenges, which many have done. It gives me specific things to research. It's hard to research, "It's hard, don't do it."

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm
I think he was talking about 3-year tax holiday on foreign income for newcomers.
Yes, I was referring to the 3 years tax holiday (which can be extended to 6 years, subject to analysis). Even tough income tax rates are reasonably low on Chile, there's no reason to not enjoy it, in case it's a possibility. The main exceptions are for those who intend to stay for the long term and want to establish a credit history, or for those that have absolutely no alternative in terms of a foreign income.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 pm

I was referring to the little-known fact that the commissions you pay abroad are already liable to a 35% surcharge that you are supposed to declare and pay. Yes, Google AdWords, AirBNB, Booking.com, GoDaddy, the lot. The document I already quoted gives plenty of background. If the SII ever gets its ass in gear and decides to go after users of these services, I think a lot of "business models" may change. Nothing to do with income, or residency, its a tax on expenditure, like IVA.
Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm

I think you misread that.

"estoy pagando es un servicio que utilizaré en Chile, por ejemplo, el acceso a una base de datos (acceder a la información de Bloomberg, a un diario digital o a contenido técnico, gráfico, etc., que me entreguen por vía internet), el tratamiento es diferente. En ese caso, existe la obligación de
realizar una retención de impuesto al momento de remesar la remuneración (...) 35%, que es el monto del impuesto que se debe pagar."

This is talking about you paying for a service that you will use in Chile (like a database, digital newspaper, technical content etc). The mention made to payments abroad is concerning "remuneraciones por servicios prestados en el extranjero” (IE. services done abroad), also in the context of a service to be used abroad.

Technicalities nonwithstanding, I really doubt they would be hardly pressed to apply this, except for those that are receiving the funds at a Chilean bank account. In my case, I receive payments directly at an anonymous credit card (think travel card, not associated with a person's name). To block this kind of card, they would need to block all travel cards, which doesn't make sense for a country that is catering more to tourism every year.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm
Postive thinking conquers all even idiotic bureacracy, rotos, flaites sizing you up for lunch and turns magical thinking into real majic so everything becomes and will be honeky dory while riding the back of a unicorn over the Chilean rainbow. :P

4.9 lol

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 am

Is it safe?
peeking1.jpg
Attachments
peeking2.jpg
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.