New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: New Member Here

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Generating an income from inside the country is not so easy. For starters, if you don't speak fluent Chilean Spanish, forget it. Linguistic proficiency only comes with an understanding of the underlying culture.
When is anything in life easy??

I'm obviously new to the nuances of Chilean culture but didn't see anything unusual to overcome. All corners of the world have their own cultural peccadilloes, even rural Alaska. Granted, I've only spent an accumulated 7 weeks in Chile, but I was working that entire time with lots of interactions with other business owners. I clearly have a ton of improvements to make with my Spanish, but that's not overwhelming.

Guess I'm looking for more advice than - you're too big of an idiot to pull this off. LOL
I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land? We didn't arrived yesterday, in fact some of us have 10 or more years under our belt. We have "been here, done that and have the tee shirt" to prove it, so I would ask you to be more specific to avoid wasting yours and our time.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 am
Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am
There's been a great deal projected upon my posts. I'm new here, but I'm picking up on a lot of - don't come here. Chile is too hard for anyone but us to have dared to navigate. Not entirely sure how I earned those responses.
Don't worry, it's usual hazing from some old-timers. Unfortunately, you earned it just for being new on the forum.

Also "Chileans can't into business" is a popular myth but you'll see that it is far from truth as someone who has lived in many other places. The country is great if you know where to get money and can adapt to some occasional quirks that are often exaggerated both by immigrants and Chileans.
"Hazing from old timers"?....."a popular myth"?....."often exaggerated both by immigrants and chileans"? Not worth a reply.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land?
That's more projection. I didn't say I have the answers. I clearly said I don't. You also haven't offered any. You said I'm of the ilk mesmerized by the beauty of Chile but haven't weighed the difficulties of relocating there. Not sure where you got that impression. I'm obviously seeking answers to assess the challenges.

The majority of what I've received thus far from a couple of you is that it won't be easy. Having lived in Nepal, remote Alaska, France and Morocco I'm sure you're right. I Never said moving to Chile would be easy. It does beg the question -- what makes you capable of it, but not me? The only other quip I received is that I'm in this to "conquer Chile." Your words. And ridiculous.

I asked about any available information relative to starting a professional service business and the best I got was cloaked versions of - don't bother.

I didn't say I have any answers. I have said, just because it'll be hard doesn't mean I'm going to throw up my hands and ditch the idea.

Gloria, you seem like you need a hug. :)

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Gloria wrote:

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, ..... We have "been here, done that and have the tee shirt" to prove it.
I think you should put, "Everything is doable" on your shirt. It'll make you feel better. :lol:

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 pm

You are wasting your time – she will just troll and troll, repeating how long she has been living here, how much wisdom and experience she got, and how it's impossible to move here because you don't have all this sacred knowledge.

Getting back to the topic – how about photos for AirBnB and other expensive property as one of the income sources? I have a feeling that at least half the south has some rent income.

By the way, be careful with being a tax resident of Chile and selling photos to US clients – the tax treaty is still pending and it means 30% royalty tax.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Gloria wrote:

I'm a little confused. If you already think you have all the answers on your own and everything is doable, what possible advice we could offer you other than the fact of life in Chile land?
That's more projection. I didn't say I have the answers. I clearly said I don't. You also haven't offered any.I don't remember you asking for my permission to come here so you need to figure the answers on your own unless you decide to hire Charles services and his advice will cost you. You said I'm of the ilk mesmerized by the beauty of Chile but haven't weighed the difficulties of relocating there.The only thing you need to do is let your fingers do the walking thru the internet. In fact a member or two in this forum have already given you their advice. The problem is you are not paying attention. Not sure where you got that impression. I'm obviously seeking answers to assess the challenges.You seem to get "hanged up" in petty things.

The majority of what I've received thus far from a couple of you is that it won't be easy. Having lived in Nepal, remote Alaska, France and Morocco I'm sure you're right.I know, I know...you already mention it 3 times. I Never said moving to Chile would be easy. It does beg the question -- what makes you capable of it,I was born here darling and I know the language inside out and the culture....is that good enough for you? but not me? The only other quip I received is that I'm in this to "conquer Chile." Your words. And ridiculous.Once again I must say you are very petty and combative.

I asked about any available information relative to starting a professional service business and the best I got was cloaked versions of - don't bother.False! You must have ADD. You didn't even realize that the Admn himself replied with an answer.Take the bother to look back.

I didn't say I have any answers. I have said, just because it'll be hard doesn't mean I'm going to throw up my hands and ditch the idea.

Gloria, you seem like you need a hug. :) Cute!
All the answers to your questions are right here, for free and for you to search them.Don't expect others to do it for you. We already have enough in our plate with our everyday chores to be concerned with ungrateful newcomers. As far as myself goes, I'm a person of extremely short patience therefore I reached my limit and I'm also done with giving advice. You are on your own and if whatever you want to call what was given to you here was not satisfactory, then pay a "professional" to help you.. No need for you to reply.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm
Guess I'm looking for more advice than - you're too big of an idiot to pull this off. LOL
I actually gave you some advice in an earlier post. Maybe you didnt notice....

If whatever Gloria or I have posted makes you look before you leap, that's good enough. The advice is well meant and based on sometimes bitter experience. But if all you want to hear is good news....sorry.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 pm
You are wasting your time – she will just troll and troll, repeating how long she has been living here, how much wisdom and experience she got, and how it's impossible to move here because you don't have all this sacred knowledge.
I never thought I would say this but what you deserve is a major slap on the side of the head for being a retard and malicious. You just cannot accept an assertive woman that against all odds....made it. And yes! I have been living longer here than you, I'm wiser and more experienced than you. If you don't like it ...tough... get over it! Untrue!No....it's not impossible to move here, I have never said that and the rest is part of your twisted imagination. Obviously you have issues! My last message to you....eat shit and die!

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am
eat shit and die!
And there is another awesome t-shirt quote. I'd recommend pairing that one with a puppy or cat illustration.

Anyway...now that the drama has subsided.

That's great information about the 30% tax treaty. I don't foresee sale of services crossing any borders. I spent roughly four days searching the available photography services in and around Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas. It was pretty slim. I definitely see opportunity for real estate and commercial property imagery. Just a quick sort through brochures, websites and other media shows some pretty subpar shooting. What got this ball rolling was my recent trip down the Carretera Austral. In just that 18 days lugging around full camera gear, I had one rafting company, three hotels, and a charter airplane service all ask me for photography services. One rafting company flat out offered me a job, which is not really something I'd consider, but I think there are opportunities.

I bought a ticket to head back down in March. My wife is stoked.

fraggle092, You did offer good advice and it was very much appreciated.

At this point, I really want to move to Chile for one reason. I want to be Gloria's neighbor. :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am
You just cannot accept an assertive woman that against all odds....made it.
Nothing to do with your gender and achievements, I don't support this style of communication in general.
Quitou wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am
And there is another awesome t-shirt quote. I'd recommend pairing that one with a puppy or cat illustration.
I suggest a space cat illustration:
https://thatshirtwascash.com/products/pb-j-spacecat
Quitou wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am
That's great information about the 30% tax treaty. I don't foresee sale of services crossing any borders. I spent roughly four days searching the available photography services in and around Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas. It was pretty slim. I definitely see opportunity for real estate and commercial property imagery. Just a quick sort through brochures, websites and other media shows some pretty subpar shooting. What got this ball rolling was my recent trip down the Carretera Austral. In just that 18 days lugging around full camera gear, I had one rafting company, three hotels, and a charter airplane service all ask me for photography services. One rafting company flat out offered me a job, which is not really something I'd consider, but I think there are opportunities.
The problem with these photos that they were probably done by a landlord's nephew who owns a good camera. But lots of Santiaguinos and expats are moving down south (even "unpopular" Valdivia has been growing in a few years a lot) – offering a Santiago-tier service here could soon become quite profitable. For example, we have an expat friend who sells almost exclusively to Chilean Germans and lives from it (baking).

But things are not fast here, so as others said in the thread about cost of living – something around $50k for not working for 2 years would be perfect. I'd say $20-25k for one year is good too unless your business needs a lot of time or has high expenses like rent. I believe this is where stock photo could help – even $500/mo can make a big difference in the south.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am

There's actually a phpBB extension that can be used to block/filter posts from specific users, although that needs to be implemented by admin. The best way to handle internet trolls is to simply ignore them.

More on topic, the "$50k for two years not working" estimative is true and tested. That should easily be enough to cover the living costs of up to a couple, as long as no luxuries are involved. There's indeed a detailed discussion about this on the "Cost of living in Chile" topic.

In terms of making business in Chile, I would really recommend having Chile as a base and catering to clients elsewhere. Not only that will make you Income Tax exempt, it will make you location-independent if/when you decide to move out.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am
In terms of making business in Chile, I would really recommend having Chile as a base and catering to clients elsewhere. Not only that will make you Income Tax exempt, it will make you location-independent if/when you decide to move out.
Good advice, especially since this is a grey area that is still pretty unregulated - for now. But sooner or later the government will start looking for their cut. Increasing supervision and control has been the tendency over the past 20 years.

To give an idea of the legislation already in place, please look at this document, especially where it refers to payments for services like Google AdWords. They are not enforcing the obligation to declare the 35% additional tax that the government levies on payments made under this concept - for now.
No sé si recuerdan que hace algún tiempo el Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SII), dentro de sus atribuciones de fiscalización, solicitó a la empresa Google ciertos antecedentes respecto de los pagos que empresas y personas chilenas realizaban por sus servicios. Esto mismo podría ocurrir con cualquier sitio que, para acceder a sus servicios, cobre una tarifa, como es el caso de Skype, Whatsapp y otros prestadores que utilizan la plataforma internet para entregar sus prestaciones (independiente si el cobro es bajo o alto)
This just what they can do already.....and they can monitor all payments made through the Chilean credit card system as well.
Après moi, le déluge