New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: New Member Here

Post by Gloria » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
Quitou, if you do a search you'll see that newbies are often dealt with harshly. It's part of the forum culture (led by Gloria). It's supposed to be to stop people coming here who might be making a mistake, but I am not sure about that, at least it could be done more politely. I often wonder if the admin has ever stopped to consider how much money he has lost as a result of this attitude. He said himself people come to the forum and then become his clients. And it's quite obvious that other potential newbies will see these threads and not bother to post here. So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.
drama-queen.jpg
drama-queen.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Drama-Queen-Logo.jpg
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm
I think you misread that.
More explanation:
“Uber, por ejemplo, cobra a la tarjeta de crédito del usuario para pagarle al taxista. Y, además, le cobra al taxista. Esos dos pagos que recibe provienen de actividades que se están realizando en Chile, por lo que debieran pagar el impuesto **adicional** de 35%. Ese es un impuesto de retención, lo que significa que quien paga es quien debe retener”, afirma José Domingo Peñafiel, abogado de Garrigues.
http://www.latercera.com/noticia/empres ... a-del-sii/

As I said, the SII have already asked Google for a list of the individuals and businesses that use AdWords.
One European service I use has already requested my company RUT...This goes back to what I said in a previous post, its best to stay under the official radar if possible, and its one of the reasons doing business here in-country is a PITA.
Once you are in the system you have to comply. The Chilean SII is quite efficient, and regards every taxpayer as a potential fraudster. That last comes from an -ex SII auditor btw.
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm
I receive payments directly at an anonymous credit card
Again, this issue is not with payments received, its commissions paid to foreign service providers.

Chile's efforts to extend Internet penetration are all very well, but at the end of the day it makes for a handy way to increase state control. And the Chilean state is already playing fast and loose with individual privacy.

** In this example, The "impuesto adicional" would be on top of whatever tax, if any is due on public transportation, I dont know.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
Quitou, if you do a search you'll see that newbies are often dealt with harshly. It's part of the forum culture (led by Gloria). It's supposed to be to stop people coming here who might be making a mistake, but I am not sure about that, at least it could be done more politely. I often wonder if the admin has ever stopped to consider how much money he has lost as a result of this attitude. He said himself people come to the forum and then become his clients. And it's quite obvious that other potential newbies will see these threads and not bother to post here. So it's quite obvious that these threads lose Spencer Global money although it would be impossible to guess how much.
Must be groundhog day. I seem to have this discussion every year, or at least couple years, for some reason.

But, the answer is, we actually don't loose much; but hard to prove a negative. The people that were not going to hire us, were not going to hire anyone. More power to them if they can make it on their own.

I made a decision early on regarding if this forum was going to be fantasy / science fiction vs. more of a reality TV / documentary about Chile. There was, and probably always will be, plenty of people blowing smoke and unicorns up people's rears about how easy it is to move to Chile.

If Chile was easy, what would they need us for?

The vast majority of our revenue stream, has nothing to do with this forum or it comes from clients that do not even know this forum exists. In fact, much of it has nothing to do with expat relocation at all.

Yea, everyone could be a little gentler with the new members, but on the other hand if someone is bothered by what anyone might say on this forum, they got a rude awaking coming in a move to Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 pm

th (1).jpg
th (1).jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 317 times
sfx-applause.jpg
sfx-applause.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 317 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Yea, everyone could be a little gentler with the new members, but on the other hand if someone is bothered by what anyone might say on this forum, they got a rude awaking coming in a move to Chile.
Interesting. Feeding the trolls.

You just went out of your way to defend Glorias, "Eat Shit and Die" comment. Classy.

Adios. Enjoy your forum. I'll spread the word that you lot have closed the gate on Chilean human imports.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:20 pm

As also a former moderator of some communities, I think it has more to do with all the drama that will arise from actually dealing with trolling. Moderation is very time-consuming.

The limit here seems to be when somebody starts posting some agenda to every thread (iirc, three guys were banned for this in the last years).

I do not mind personal attacks – they are the problem of the person who's saying them. But derailing threads reduces quality of discussions.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Adoios dude y suerte.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Photojournalist here, shooting spot and breaking news and features for newspapers, magazines and online media on assignment and for the wire service-----lived on and off in Chile for months and years in Chile since 1984.
For a PJ specializing in Latin America, Chile would be an excellent choice in location----even living remotely in Patagonia as you can fly north or south and get out to where you want to be. Working as a photographer in Chile there would be a certain amount of business but probably not much. In regard to shooting for foreign media on assignment with shots on travel, news etc, there would be a certain amount there as well----probably core work would be national and municipal tourism agencies too but would take a while to build it up----If you are at the right spot, at the right time, there could be Chilean newspaper and magazine work but it would be pretty sparse but more on that later
Maybe some NGO work and large national corporate accounts as well as product or interest specific businesses outside of Chile to get into to but will always be a mixed bag of things across the board----but really in regard to working photographers, commercial, advertising and news, its kinda of the same no matter where you are----a definite mixed bag of work.
Living in Chile and just shooting stock photos, forget it but reading through the posts you are clear on that-----its just the reality of the image business, again, no matter where you are.
There is the visa thing and paying taxes but its a different road for everyone and one taken once you decide you are to settle here. One issue would be, no matter you live in Chile, would be keeping equipment safe from theft for even a short trip to the market let alone being gone on assignment for a month. I would not trust any delivery of equipment where they are sending it to you----so you would have to get everything in the USA personally no matter what.
There is a photo agency in Chile, Agencia Uno, (http://agenciauno.cl) and they supply photos domestically and outside of Chile with a pretty good stable of photographers-----have no idea what the pay or how they are-----
In regard to shooting in Chile-----the chance of a snatch and grab is unlikely except in the dodgey areas of Santiago or in something like a heavy protest where somebody can get at you and get away in the mayhem. Shooting with Chilean news guys, they are a tight bunch so there is protection in that for sure-----not like Colombia or Brazil or Argentina in that way with the moto snatch and grab----but don't think that you would not be a target pretty quick for an inspired thief to figure out what your photo rig is worth and you have it at home or in your car----even if you have a strong lock box in place within the house, the bad guys will still cause a lot of damage getting at it and they won't just try once and not come back every now and then for another try.

There are a lot of stories going on in Chile and its not well covered but someone clever could fish them up over time----There was a Chilean shooter doing a lot of work with great stories about 15 years ago but he is mostly international now and shoots a lot for the NY Times and others-----too bad, he was really good-----Chile needs a go to photographer to provide that content but again it would be a mixed bag with it to start and could take maybe 10 years to be that guy and a lot of work and a lot of money to get there.

Good luck!!!!

David_Bro

Re: New Member

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Ahhhh in regard to the forum troll routine-----Honestly Gloria has some good points and you just have to let the anger go by and not worry about it-----there was somebody posting awhile back that was really asking for it----new to the forum etc and just a jerk and gloria let them have it but I think he had it coming actually-----Did not see that with you in your posts but you got it anyway unless you erased some posts----hopefully you will come back once you have your sea legs in Chile----but again, I have no doubt you will look back and while a little caustic and angry, you will be guaranteed to see for yourself many if not all the issues anyone new to Chile will come across.

Lates

picalena

Post by picalena » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:06 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Haha, I have so many stories that are [now] hilarious that start with a Chilena screaming at me. I finally learned to just tune it out and not s**t down my leg every time. Ah, good times.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm

I will give credit to the OP for starting one of the more entertaining threads in months. Even got zer0nz and David Bro to come out of their shells.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

###