New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Quitou

New Member Here

Post by Quitou » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this community and stoked to have found it. I'm a professional photographer and journalist working in a number of segments from travel writing to bicycle, motorcycle, and other industries. I do a lot of travel media work for government tourism bureaus, mostly in South and Central America. I was recently on an assignment in Patagonia and --- now I have the itch to move to Chile. My wife and I have lived in far flung corners of the globe before, so this seems doable.

I hope it works out. I'm sure the info here will be of tremendous help.

Quitiou

jamie_m

Re: New Member Here

Post by jamie_m » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Welcome mate. I'm pretty sure just about everything to do with Chile has been discussed here at some point. Use the search function, or all hell will break loose :)

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm

jamie_m wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm
Welcome mate. I'm pretty sure just about everything to do with Chile has been discussed here at some point. Use the search function, or all hell will break loose :)
As a trained investigative reporter, I did hit the search function pretty hard. Nothing to be found for self-employment for expats and the hoops I'll need to jump through. I've found a lot of information relative to business startups, but it's largely positioned for conventional business models, not necessarily professional services like photography. I wouldn't be employed by an Chilean entity. Any advice on that score is what I'm hoping to suss out.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi there! Have you tried photo stocks? I know some people who live from them for many years but it's mostly business-related photos – the ones you can put on brochures, into news or blog articles, presentations.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 pm
Hi there! Have you tried photo stocks? I know some people who live from them for many years but it's mostly business-related photos – the ones you can put on brochures, into news or blog articles, presentations.
I have shot some stock work, but it's a slow road to revenue. I shoot everything from travel images to product shots. I've shot for Conde Nast Traveler, a dozen manufacturer catalogs...whatever pays the bills. In researching Puerto Veras, there's ample opportunity to shoot architectural photography for real estate companies, to all sorts of tourism opportunities. I could hop over to Bariloche to expand my reach. I have good hustle, so I think I can find the revenue opportunities. I'm just not sure what the legal hoops are I have to navigate.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Your first 40 hoops will be visa related.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 am

I don't think many people talk about working as a self-employed professional in Chile, as it is probably the easiest of all types of business to start.

Pretty much go to IRS. Initiate activities as a professional. Issue bolletas online to clients. Pay your tax withholding.

Of course this is all assuming you have a visa, with permission to work (that is a different conversation, and well covered on the forum).

Only thing I would watch out for, and really have never had to deal with a client as Photographer, is the difference between working as a professional vs. selling a product.

I probably got this wrong, but the line that will be drawn is the difference between selling a service and product subject to IVA, will be something like selling services to take photos for a wedding vs. selling photos as a product being subject to IVA. Are you selling the service of taking the photos, or are you selling the photos themselves?

If you are selling photos, then you need to start splitting hairs in terms of tax paid and will likely need to talk to an accountant. For instance how are royalties taxed, outright product, sale of rights, etc. Again, never had the occasion to deal with photos, but have dealt with things like software, programming, data, data processing, and so on. Some are tax exempt, some not, and others are concepts are so new that Chile's IRS has not even properly sorted one from the other.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Now that is very helpful. Thank you.

Typically I sell my images as a service. My clients get the images as assets to use as they see fit. In that regard, I would equate it to other services like website or software development. I don't sell my images as products, as in prints in a gallery. I'm sure that's easily cleared up with the IRS.

I still have to work out my strategy, but it seems like I might need to look into seasonal living in the Puerto Veras region. I see what appears to be an opening for photo services, but I may need to pursue other opportunities elsewhere to round out my income. That might create another wrinkle. I met quite a few seasonal raft guides in Futa. Although they're technically employed by a Chilean business, I might need to work that type of seasonal schedule. Or at the least exit Chile for 2-3 months for other work projects.

I wonder how that will factor into my visa.

Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello,
I'm peter albert and i'm new to tis community too.....I hope i'll have a great time

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Rockalbert wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm
Hello,
I'm peter albert and i'm new to tis community too.....I hope i'll have a great time
Hey there, are you in Chile already or just preparing to move?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Quitou, isn't easier for you to join biggie established firm such as Getty image? They always looking for free-lance contributor at large presumably.
Perhaps easier for you to find practical income sooner than establishing by yourself there in Chilitolandia?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm
Quitou, isn't easier for you to join biggie established firm such as Getty image? They always looking for free-lance contributor at large presumably.
Perhaps easier for you to find practical income sooner than establishing by yourself there in Chilitolandia?
Getty pays well per image, but their library is so massive it can't be counted on for regular revenue. Many successful contributors to Getty are agencies with as many as a dozen employees supplying hundreds of images to Getty. It's become a funky business model. I submit to Getty once in a blue moon, but for me to make any money at it would cost me thousands in production expenses with no guarantee to recoup those costs.

I shoot everything from product shots, travel images, documentarian stills, and have plenty of experience shooting architecture, and even weddings and events. I'd have to seriously hustle to get a business going, but I could easily show up and work the first 6 months for free and win a crap load of possitive exposure.