New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Re: New Member Here

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Quitou wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm
I could easily show up and work the first 6 months for free and win a crap load of possitive exposure.
It doesn't work like that here, don't even think about doing anything for free.
The idea of establishing goodwill is completely alien to the Chilean way of thinking.

There is a guy who sporadically posted on this forum, his self-explanatory nick is Wedding Photographer.
I believe he worked in the Viña area at some stage.
Perhaps a pm in his direction might help you...
Here is his website.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm
Quitou wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm
I could easily show up and work the first 6 months for free and win a crap load of possitive exposure.
It doesn't work like that here, don't even think about doing anything for free.
The idea of establishing goodwill is completely alien to the Chilean way of thinking.
For me is fascinating to read about those that want to come here mesmerized by the beauty of this country without weighting the difficulties and obstacles you'll find in the way "to conquer Chile" and with a foreigners mind...." how complicated can it be?"..."if it works in my country why not here ?. The fact is whatever makes sense "out there" here's the opposite including good intentions. This is a totally different "culture" ( if you can call it that). Chileans are not business minded at all. Don't have a clue to what customer service is all about therefore almost non existent. Chilean businesses are under the belief that THEY are "doing you a favor for serving you" including and more so banks, major department stores etc. so if anyone one thinks that in Chile the "customer is number one" as it is in other countries........think again. Little things become HUGE and simple, basic things....very complicated....and the list goes on.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am

Gloria wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am

For me is fascinating to read about those that want to come here mesmerized by the beauty of this country without weighting the difficulties and obstacles you'll find in the way "to conquer Chile" and with a foreigners mind...." how complicated can it be?"...
There's been a great deal projected upon my posts. I'm new here, but I'm picking up on a lot of - don't come here. Chile is too hard for anyone but us to have dared to navigate. Not entirely sure how I earned those responses.

I certainly don't profess to know much about relocating to Chile. That's why I'm here on this forum. But I have spent more than 20 years living in four different countries on three continents. I've made tons of missteps, assumptions, gaffs, and oversights, but nothing I couldn't overcome. If I make this transition to Chile I'm sure I'll repeat more of the same. There's no sense of "conquering Chile," nor any expressed here.

I have three expat acquaintances from the US who started businesses in Chile. They haven't levied the same dour warnings cast by this group. They couldn't answer my questions about service businesses like mine, but I didn't get a moment's hint that I was a fool for contemplating it.

After six weeks in Chile I didn't pick up on it as the negative place it's described as here. Interesting. Maybe I came to the wrong place?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 am

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am
There's been a great deal projected upon my posts. I'm new here, but I'm picking up on a lot of - don't come here. Chile is too hard for anyone but us to have dared to navigate. Not entirely sure how I earned those responses.
Don't worry, it's usual hazing from some old-timers. Unfortunately, you earned it just for being new on the forum.

Also "Chileans can't into business" is a popular myth but you'll see that it is far from truth as someone who has lived in many other places. The country is great if you know where to get money and can adapt to some occasional quirks that are often exaggerated both by immigrants and Chileans.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

One of my met through the forum friends was an Anglo pro photog but did not make it here. Maybe he could have if he concentrated on sorting out his visa issue instead of constantly running around and engaging in and with more exciting and fleeting things and persons.

If you are serious, take the time and money involved to finance a year+ without really working (at least not technically "in" Chile hint hint), that way you see how the weather changes and the natural cycle of Chile and Chileans and their quirks and characteristics. Of course, during that time, you will be waiting on obtaining official residency, first temporary and then the application for permanent. I personally do not recommend someone start a business here without PERMANENT residency.

IME, longevity and not rushing things are the keys to success here and the advice from the respected previous posters are on target and not projections. You will discover Chile is not just like Mexico, Argentina, etc. and that projecting success across other developing countries to Chile can be major pitfall.

Suerte.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am
If you are serious, take the time and money involved to finance a year+ without really working (at least not technically "in" Chile hint hint), that way you see how the weather changes and the natural cycle of Chile and Chileans and their quirks and characteristics. Of course, during that time, you will be waiting on obtaining official residency, first temporary and then the application for permanent. I personally do not recommend someone start a business here without PERMANENT residency.
That's great advice.

I have started and restarted several businesses and know how slowly they get rolling. I also work as a freelance journalist with clients in the US and UK. That allows me to draw revenue from writing as needed. That's another piece of the puzzle I'll have to fold into the visa logistics as I often have to leave the country on assignments. I don't underestimate the challenges, that's for sure.

Speaking to challenges, and being new here....

As an extremely healthy guy and competitive cyclist all my life, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 766 days ago. I was told by many I'd have to give up my job as a writer, photographer, and adventure journalist. Since then, I've trekked to Everest basecamp, climbed the highest peak in Peru, spent a month in the Amazon, completed a 500 mile sea kayak trip in Alaska, climbed an active volcano in Guatemala and --- rode a motorcycle the full length of the Carretera Austral last month. For those of you telling me a move to Chile is too challenging. I get it. I did the above while taking roughly 6,128 insulin injections. Hard is what you make of it.

Yes, I have to also figure out how to be a type 1 diabetic in Chile. I'll figure it out. :)

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Quitou wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am
Yes, I have to also figure out how to be a type 1 diabetic in Chile. I'll figure it out. :)
Diabetes is rampant in Chile. Your doctor in Chile will be thrilled to finally have a compliant patient.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Not on point, but related: Today I was startled to see a small photo studio in "el centro" Curico. It has long struck me as odd that there are no JCPenney/Walmart-type photo studios in Chile for parents to bring their children. It was clean, bright and inviting. (Unusual in and of itself for the small stores in "el centro".) I hope they do well.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Living here on money coming in from abroad, (inter-company transfers, doing "internet stuff", pensions, investments, grey-area tourist services, etc etc) is easy enough. Basically that's just spending money earned elsewhere.

Generating an income from inside the country is not so easy. For starters, if you don't speak fluent Chilean Spanish, forget it. Linguistic proficiency only comes with an understanding of the underlying culture. And don't look for a local Socio.
Done with advice...
Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi Quitou, welcome to the forum and best of luck to you!
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Generating an income from inside the country is not so easy. For starters, if you don't speak fluent Chilean Spanish, forget it. Linguistic proficiency only comes with an understanding of the underlying culture.
When is anything in life easy??

I'm obviously new to the nuances of Chilean culture but didn't see anything unusual to overcome. All corners of the world have their own cultural peccadilloes, even rural Alaska. Granted, I've only spent an accumulated 7 weeks in Chile, but I was working that entire time with lots of interactions with other business owners. I clearly have a ton of improvements to make with my Spanish, but that's not overwhelming.

Guess I'm looking for more advice than - you're too big of an idiot to pull this off. LOL

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Shades of David Bro?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat