Buying a car in Chile

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

WasifMukti

Buying a car in Chile

Post by WasifMukti » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 am

I am currently backpacking through South America for the next few months and am considering buying a car. My friend and I have been taking buses and want more flexibility to go to places off the beaten path. Our plan is to go to Patagonia then all the way to Bolivia and back through Peru to U.S.

Since this is our first trip, we are wondering what it would entail to buy a cheap car abroad as foreigner. Currently we do not have international licenses. Is it possible to obtain one while in Chile without having to send away back to the U.S.? Any advice on where to look for a cheap car, what paperwork we need, and how to get cheap insurance?

Heading to Santiago for the next week and a half. Ideally we want to take care of this now before heading further south to Patagonia.

Thanks!

GringoVikingo

Re: Buying a car in Chile

Post by GringoVikingo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 pm

You need a run/rut card, a Chilean ID to buy a car and get it registrated
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 pm

There is some more detail about buying a car in an article I wrote here
viewtopic.php?t=11587
as well as on the All Chile wiki.

Keep in mind that old used cars are expensive here. 3,000,000 will be a cheap car (10 years old+), 2,000,000 will be a very small, old car that stands out as particularly sh1t compared to most cars in circulation.

There is a used car yard opposite Plaza Oeste mall, I saw another near the main road through Cerrillos, and just south of Vespucio Sur. There are also some smaller ones more centrally located, although I'm not sure if they have the cheaper, older cars.

What do you mean "Back through Peru to US" - do you mean you would sell the car in Peru and get a flight to the US? Or do you mean you would drive home to the US?? If that's even possible with the Darian Gap.

Understand the license/RUT issues first. You are not going anywhere until you have figured that one out.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

proger

Post by proger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Not a good idea friend, better to start in the u. S/ Canada buy an RV there and sell it in Chile in the end, cheers

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:35 pm

proger wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm
Not a good idea friend, better to start in the u. S/ Canada buy an RV there and sell it in Chile in the end, cheers
Buy a RV in US or Canada then sell it in Chile? You can but perhaps to another non-chileno but to foreigners, cuz used vehicle not already registered in Chile can not be registered, especially brought over from US/Canada. Perhaps take to Argieland then sell it there.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

proger

Post by proger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:13 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:35 pm
proger wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm
Buy a RV in US or Canada then sell it in Chile? You can but perhaps to another non-chileno but to foreigners, cuz used vehicle not already registered in Chile can not be registered, especially brought over from US/Canada. Perhaps take to Argieland then sell it there.
thats right, wont be much of a problem in the high season...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

The poster is already in South America so the suggestion to buy a car in US/Canada is not going to be relevant in this particular case.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

whobear95

Post by whobear95 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

i have a car for sale in santiago chile - reply for further details - subaru forester 2007 162,000km