Question About British Citizenship

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

ChrisJ

Question About British Citizenship

Post by ChrisJ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 am

Hello

My Chilean wife has been living in the UK since 1977 (political refugee status due to General Pinochet's regime) and we have been married since 1997 (so 20 years). Does anyone know if this qualifies her as a British Citizen?

She's been living in the UK for the entire time and has never gone abroad. I ask because her older sister had a letter from the Home Office the other day (she is applying for a travel document) and it addressed her as a British Citizen.

Thanks all.

Donnybrook

Re: Question About British Citizenship

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Nothing is more complicated that British citizenship. The rules have changed so many times that I don't know how anyone figures it out. You should really contact the proper authorities in the UK, presumably the Home Office, for the correct answer.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 pm

It is hard to see how one could become naturalized as a British citizen without knowing it (whether she is eligible to apply is another matter), but indeed you can find some quite detailed documentation on residence & citizenship by searching on gov.uk. A bit of poking around usually turns up what appears to be the guidance issued to Home Office staff for processing applications etc.

ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:23 am

Ok thank you both