Hello from Frank

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Re: Hello from Frank

Post by at46 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:47 pm

fybian wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:58 am
Thanks for all the suggestions and discussions! It is good to hear those opinions. We have two kids. My wife and I did some research on some research on the cost of living in eastern Santiago. Correct me if our number is not quite right or we forgot something.
3b2b apartment $1500
Community fee $200
utility $200
internet & phone $100
food $700
school $800x2
gas $120
toll $120
health Insurance $500

That is more or less $5000 USD.
I'd say in a moderately economic mode you'll be able to stay within USD 2700-3500 per month all-in at today's exchange rate. But the exchange rate can move sharply against you, so make provisions for that in your contract if you can.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Something to consider is do you need to live in Santiago? Have you considered south of Santiago?

If you live outside of Santiago, more in the country, you can get by quite easily on 2 million peso's a month. 500k-750k for a nice house to live in on acreage away from the soul crushing pollution of Santiago and then 1 million - 1.5 million or so for everything else. Groceries, gas, utilities, etc.

I think that is pretty amazing. Roughly $3000 USD a month an you can live very well in chile. Anything over that $3000 USD you can save. I don't know about middle america, but based on west coast metropolitan prices the rent here is stunningly low. On the west coast near a city, you are easily looking at 2-3K a month just in the rent for a proper house that isn't a hovel.

Are you sure about $500/month for health insurance? That seems a little high. We have seen far lower price for health insurance, but in practice we have seen that just paying cash out of pocket for whatever health services are needed is even cheaper (chiro, sickness, operations, etc)
I mean way cheaper...I almost feel bad paying so little out of pocket for major health services with doctors/hospitals. Basically all medical service here is a fraction of the cost it is in the US...at least in my experience. For example, we had an inpatient surgery that in the US would cost 40K USD out of pocket, here it is 2.5K USD. Again, just paying cash straight up, when it is needed, if it is needed. I suppose if you or your spouse are elderly or very sickly it could possibly be worth it for insurance, but in that case there are some pretty great German run health insurance companies down here that off packages that are again a lot less than $500 a month

fybian

Post by fybian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 am

nikotromus wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am
Mas o menos.

If you run the heat in the winter utilities will be much higher. Most people wear their coats indoors, including us. The utilities will probably be low in the summer because AC's are rare here. Central heat and air does not exist, at least from an American perspective. You might do better on food if you primarily shop at La Vega. It is a great experience and our favorite thing about Santiago. You could pay that much for rent, but you could do better if depending on how nice the place is. Whatever you do, make sure your apartment orientation does't face north or west or you'll roast in the summer.

If you were working for a Chilean company and lucky enough to be making that big time 3 million a month peso salary, you would only be going into debt about 200,000 pesos a month. Assuming a zero budget for entertainment and emergencies of course. ;-)
Thanks for your response, especially the house orientation! We are not sure whether we can visit La Vega frequently, as we decide to live in La Dehesa, which is far away from La Vega.

fybian

Post by fybian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 am

scandinavian wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm
Looks reasonable. School might be a lot more if you want Nido de Aguila or less if your kids are still in preschool.
Food could be higher if you go out regularly. Expect 80-100 USD for the 4.
Isn't health insurance provided by employer?
Yeah, one of our kids is still a toddler. So I can save some money on the school, but I also need to add some expense in Formula and Diapers/Nappies. I found the good restaurant in Santiago is quite expensive, so we won't eat out very frequently. For the health insurance, I need to make my own contribution, and the insurance coverage is quite good, which is much better than we got in Australia and the USA.

fybian

Post by fybian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:30 am

mem wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:49 pm
Something to consider is do you need to live in Santiago? Have you considered south of Santiago?

If you live outside of Santiago, more in the country, you can get by quite easily on 2 million peso's a month. 500k-750k for a nice house to live in on acreage away from the soul crushing pollution of Santiago and then 1 million - 1.5 million or so for everything else. Groceries, gas, utilities, etc.

I think that is pretty amazing. Roughly $3000 USD a month an you can live very well in chile. Anything over that $3000 USD you can save. I don't know about middle america, but based on west coast metropolitan prices the rent here is stunningly low. On the west coast near a city, you are easily looking at 2-3K a month just in the rent for a proper house that isn't a hovel.

Are you sure about $500/month for health insurance? That seems a little high. We have seen far lower price for health insurance, but in practice we have seen that just paying cash out of pocket for whatever health services are needed is even cheaper (chiro, sickness, operations, etc)
I mean way cheaper...I almost feel bad paying so little out of pocket for major health services with doctors/hospitals. Basically all medical service here is a fraction of the cost it is in the US...at least in my experience. For example, we had an inpatient surgery that in the US would cost 40K USD out of pocket, here it is 2.5K USD. Again, just paying cash straight up, when it is needed, if it is needed. I suppose if you or your spouse are elderly or very sickly it could possibly be worth it for insurance, but in that case there are some pretty great German run health insurance companies down here that off packages that are again a lot less than $500 a month
We plan to look for a house in La Dehesa. We are worried a little bit about whether it is safe to live in a house there. It is good to know that the medical expense is not very high in Chile. The insurance is provided by the company, but I need to pay part of the premiums.

fybian

Post by fybian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm
An astronomer...coming to Chile.

With a job lined up.
Its a career move.

He’s not going to become an independent self employed astronomer.

And probably money is not the primary focus.

Thats why i thought that in this specific case it was diverging badly off topic.
Yes, the move is more for my career, but I do not want that to affect my family's life quality. Based on the discussion here, I would expect that we can live at least a similar life quality that we have in Australia and previously in the USA. I think that the major concern now is the language. None of us speaks Spanish, it is going to be quite challenging.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm

With a house in La Dehesa you should expect higher costs. Water and heating will be higher, you probably need Gartner and pool cleaner. Maid?
2 cars.
My guess would be closer to 4 mm per month.
My suggestion would be that before you choose where to live you should choose schools. Depending on where you work, Dehesa might not be optimal in terms of traffic.
When I came down first time, we stayed in an apart hotel for a while to check out the different areas before making a final decision

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm

We had 5 kids, the youngest 1.5 when we moved here and chose to live in Providencia.

Recently my wife said that had it existed then, she would have chosen Chicureo and getting to work would have been my problem, but she would have all she needed there, schools, shops, etc and would have driven around on her own. Something she never had the courage to do in Santiago/Provi.

Chicureo may not fit you, but I wouldnt be too quick to say La Dehesa is the only option.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Safe to live in a house in La Dehesa?

First thing to note, never put too much stock in anecdotal evidence.

Having said that....

I have several gringo friends who came down on 3 year contracts with a pretty big housing allowance and decided to rent huge flashy houses in La Dehesa with a pool. Several breakins later culminating with one that surprised them in the house and the wife and kids left until the house rental could be terminated and an apt found.

Conversely i know of several others who rented relatively modest attached homes in a gated community and who never had a problem and never had a problem with the kids going out and playing on their own in the community playground.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Is Google Earth available for street views of Stgo? If so, that may help you decide. The residential neighborhood around the Catholic University Clinic San Carlos de Apoquindo is pleasant, quiet and at a higher elevation for cleaner air than older Santiago neighborhoods.

I agree completely with dmwbmw2 regarding Chicureo.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:18 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm
Recently my wife said that had it existed then, she would have chosen Chicureo and getting to work would have been my problem, but she would have all she needed there, schools, shops, etc and would have driven around on her own.
Parts of Chicureo are quite nice, and there are many neighborhoods that are safely tucked away behind gated communities. The houses are also newer and still in decent shape. If we had to stay in Santiago, that would be the only place we would go. Definitely worth a look...

fybian

Post by fybian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:26 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm
We had 5 kids, the youngest 1.5 when we moved here and chose to live in Providencia.

Recently my wife said that had it existed then, she would have chosen Chicureo and getting to work would have been my problem, but she would have all she needed there, schools, shops, etc and would have driven around on her own. Something she never had the courage to do in Santiago/Provi.

Chicureo may not fit you, but I wouldnt be too quick to say La Dehesa is the only option.
Thanks for the suggestions! The house Chicureo is quite nice. One thing we are not sure is how bad the traffic between Chicureo and Vitacura in the rush hour. We were told the traffic is very heavy in Santiago.