moving to osorno please help

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

beatricejvr

moving to osorno please help

Post by beatricejvr » Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 am

hi
we are planning to migrate to osorno from south africa. we have a job offer as farming manager. can somebody please give us more information on osorno. is there english schools public or private. whats a reletavily good salary for a family of 4. and is there other south africans in that distict?
and also is it safe there?
thank you

dmwbmw2

Re: planning to move to osorno please help

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:18 am

Don't have up to date nor specific info about Osorno but 10 years ago I was in Valdivia for 2 years with 3 school age kids. At that time Osorno didn't have an English school, I suspect the situation is the same.

There are schools that put more emphasis on English training, but often not that strong until the later years. Colegio Aleman and Saint Thomas were the noted ones.

How long are you planning to stay and how old are the kids. If they are Grade 4 or below and you plan on 2+ years there is no issue in my mind, drop them in a Spanish school and they will be fine within 6 months and fluent in 2 years. Even more so if they have been exposed to more than just English in South Africa.

Osorno is one of my least favourite cities in the tegion. The setting is not impressive and it's quite industrial and just not that impressive compared to Valdivia for instance.

But it's perfectly livable. I suspect they still have a smog problem from wood stoves in winter.

Safety is not a big issue, with the usual reasonable precautions. I suspect anywhere in Chile is going to be better than much of South Africa at any rate.

Needed salary to live is very dependent on life style. Some Chileans manage to survive with a family on amazingly little money.

Don't underestimate cost of schooling per child.

beatricejvr

Re: moving to osorno please help

Post by beatricejvr » Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks. My kids are gr 5 and gr 4. Hopefully there wil be some schooling in english haha.
Yeah unfortunitely south africa is really not a safe place anymore no matter where you live.
Regarding living expences, we are normal middel class lol, in south africa.... I cant find anything on google in regards to how much is enough for middel class earnings. Do you think we would be ok with a £3000 / ($3800) Plus minus a month?

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Sat May 20, 2017 10:43 am

We're in Puerto Montt and with The American School, but that doesn't help you in Osorno, about an hour to the north. Searching the forum should give you a lot of insight into the school system, but you'll want a private school and they should be able to respond to your requests for information now (perhaps even in English) for requirements, costs, and availability in grades 4/5/6 (depending on their placement when they arrive). As a point of reference The American School is $280.000) CLP/month per child, with minor discounts for siblings, and it's the top cost range for here. The Thomas Jefferson School (Concepcion, by way of comparison) is a bit more, and of course Santiago is a whole different market.

One tip - Since the school year for us in Chile is March>December, and in the US it's August>May, we made the decision to let our youngest start third grade over again here in Chile. It wasn't a performance issue, but adjustment and language consideration, and it's worked out to be a good decision all these years later. We've found that an English-emphasis school (where English is a focus of the school, but not all subjects are taught in English) to be an effective solution.

Again, on the educational issues, we've all written a lot on this forum to read and consider.

We do know of a South African couple w/ children who have a restaurant:

http://www.cotele.cl/english/inicio.html

www.cotele.cl/spanish/reservations.html

You'll find a lot on costs of living here as well.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:07 am

After you pay tax, Chilean pension and health insurance you could net approx 2.000.000 pesos per month, which is doable.

But as you can see if school for 2 is 500.000 per month this is 25% of your available and probably your largest single expense. Dont forget some schools have a very large incorporation fee paid upfront and doesn't matter if you will be 1 year or 12 years.

And uniforms, school supplies, texts, transportation is usually not included.

Meaning you would need to be careful on your housing expense.
If your job came with a good house you would be in much better shape.

If you need a car will you have cash? Bank accounts and loans when you first arrive are difficult to impossible.

beatricejvr

Post by beatricejvr » Sat May 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you for your replies! Yes we will have cash to buy a car, and we might be looking to make use of the schools mentioned above where english is incorporated.
We hope there will be schools working on that basis.
And then... Lol
How about furniture? Do you think we should bring our furniture and appliances or should we sell everything here? Is buying a new household basicly expensive there?

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I came with my wife and 5 kids and 16 suitcases, so I paid for two extra.

Never regretted not bringing furniture. Shipping is expensive.
If you don't need everything at once you can buy cheap on the Chilean version of eBay or if lucky find an expat leaving who is in a hurry to sell a lot of semi new stuff.

A lot of people who ship stuff regret it by the time they get through customs and delivered.

Look at Falabella and Sodimac on line and price out what you would need as a minimum and compare to a small container shipped and you will find you can buy a lot of stuff. And if you shop around you can do better prices but these are a good yardstick.

beatricejvr

Post by beatricejvr » Sat May 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Thank you for all the advise!!!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat May 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Yes, as dmwbmw says, do not bring your furniture but plenty of good quality regular and flannel sheets, the rest you can get it here. Osorno is damp and cold in the winter.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

beatricejvr

Post by beatricejvr » Sun May 21, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks! Will bring them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 am

are you living IN osorno, or NEAR orsorno?

Very different things.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

beatricejvr

Post by beatricejvr » Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 am

Hi as far as i know the farm is in osorno. We will know more during this week.