New user - Moved to Chile last December

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Re: New user - Moved to Chile last December

Post by at46 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 pm

tiagoabner wrote:For whoever may be interested in it, the plan I signed for is the Cruz Blanca Vivo + 3100 (code 3V+3100E17). I also included an additional kicker for improved dental coverage (already reflecting in the 4 UF from above), as my wife may need maintenance for the dental treatment she had earlier this year. Our healthcare plan offers 100% coverage for inpatient and 90% coverage for outpatient procedures. The maximum yearly coverage is USD 200,000.
Are you tied up to a specific hospital or is it libre elección? I've noticed they reworked their entire plan structure after Bupa took them over. I think I gotta look at mine with a sharper pencil now :)

at46

Post by at46 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:Thanks. A good tip. World Nomads generally seem to have good references, not usual for an insurance company.

And they cover everything that I do in their basic package. And their on line info is very clear.
But its not cheap, but limit is a generous $5,000,000 and not a ridiculous $10,000.

Before I jump I will consider the risks and options. If I am in Canada visiting kids for 4 weeks and then on the motorcycle for two weeks it may make more sense to get the Cruz Blanca extra for 4UF every year and then buy two weeks of Nomads for particular higher risk times.
I've looked at my current plan and their recommended plan for me and both actually have a 1000 UF international cover per year with the same percentages/deductibles as in-country, working on the basis of reimbursement.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 05, 2017 10:52 pm

at46 wrote:
tiagoabner wrote:For whoever may be interested in it, the plan I signed for is the Cruz Blanca Vivo + 3100 (code 3V+3100E17). I also included an additional kicker for improved dental coverage (already reflecting in the 4 UF from above), as my wife may need maintenance for the dental treatment she had earlier this year. Our healthcare plan offers 100% coverage for inpatient and 90% coverage for outpatient procedures. The maximum yearly coverage is USD 200,000.
Are you tied up to a specific hospital or is it libre elección? I've noticed they reworked their entire plan structure after Bupa took them over. I think I gotta look at mine with a sharper pencil now :)
I took ¨libre elección¨. I couldn't see any real benefits to taking a more restrictive plan. I live on the same street of Santa Maria, but Cruz Blanca didn't have anything significative to offer to make it worth getting tied to a single place.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:08 am

tiagoabner wrote:
at46 wrote:
I took ¨libre elección¨. I couldn't see any real benefits to taking a more restrictive plan. I live on the same street of Santa Maria, but Cruz Blanca didn't have anything significative to offer to make it worth getting tied to a single place.
Libre elección used to be really expensive at Cruzblanca, at least double the cost of the tie-up to a specific hospital. So this is something that their new owner Bupa has introduced. That's cool.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm

So I switched today to the plan you mentioned, Tiago, and saved myself some lucas.

I always hated going to Cruzblanca main office in Viña on 8 norte coz the reps were unhelpful, misleading, rude and.... you get the picture. Well, lo and behold, not a single familiar face today, like they sacked the entire staff and hired all new people. No usual crowds either, less than two minutes wait. The lady who helped me today was actually pretty helpful. I'm still a bit giddy.

Customer service staff at Integramedica is also getting a bit better. I wish they found better low level nursing staff though. I mean, for a girl working at their test lab to not be able to find a vein in my elbow and have to cry for help to her Colombian supervisor with the needle still stuck in my joint, that's a first for me. The Colombian girl was awesome though, fixed the needle effortlessly and painlessly and that was that.

Well, more power to Bupa!

Btw, this new plan also has 1000 UF per year international cover, and, interestingly, doesn't say anything about this cover operating on the basis of reimbursement. I should find out if that means they pay directly to the hospitals. That would be cool.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Yep, I have also found the 1000 UF per year clause. However, since I'm not an European citizen, they usually request an insurance policy that explicitly states it is for tourism and that it meets the Schengen requisites.

I usually travel to Argentina twice per month, so I will check if the 1000 UF coverage is accepted there if I need it and if they operate in a reimbursement basis or direct billing basis. I assume it should be the first option, but who knows.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Cruz Blanca used to be reimbursement to the level/amount indicated on your plan for whatever you had done. So each item would be covered to the percentage/amount on your plan. No idea if it is the same now. I