New user - Moved to Chile last December

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Re: New user - Moved to Chile last December

Post by at46 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 pm

tiagoabner wrote: Health insurance: CLP $170000 (paid in USD, valid outside of Chile with direct billing in most large cities)
Groceries: CLP $240000 (we eat a very strict keto diet, so this is likely above average for a couple that don't purchase too much imported stuff. It is probably a good estimation for those who do eat imported food.)
We had a pretty good plan for two at cruzblanca at around 125000. They also have travel insurance which costs around 70000 per year for North/South America and the Caribbean. So it looks like you could save yourself around 700 USD per year if you switched.
https://www.cruzblanca.cl/cruzblanca/as ... eferencial

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will probably switch to a Chilean plan, I will come back from Argentinaland tomorrow, so I will try to have some time to check that in Wednesday.

The thing I like in the plan I have is that it offers both direct billing and b full coverage, which is something that the plans I have looked at this far don't always have available.

Since I travel twice per month, my concern is for my wife to need it while I'm not around. A bit paranoic, I know, but better safe then sorry.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 pm

I have checked the Cruz Blanca website and they gave me a $150 monthly quote with 100% impatient coverage. Also, this $100 per year travel insurance seems great. I will drop by their office on Wednesday, as this can save me way more than I expected.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 am

the one to watch out for is emergency room visits, where you are released the same day; because really it is probably the most expensive and common sort of doctor's visits. Looking back, I have never spent a night in a hospital for anything; but, I sure have been to the emergency room.
My insurance agent once told us it is cheaper to check-in overnight, then everything is 100% covered.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am

admin wrote:the one to watch out for is emergency room visits, where you are released the same day; because really it is probably the most expensive and common sort of doctor's visits. Looking back, I have never spent a night in a hospital for anything; but, I sure have been to the emergency room.
My insurance agent once told us it is cheaper to check-in overnight, then everything is 100% covered.
This is very true. But an emergency room visit which ends in hospitalization is not that expensive. Also, if you are better covered for hospitalization than out patient interventions you can ask the Doctor to recommend a night in a hospital bed. I am better covered for the former and an outpatient intervention by a dermatologist (local anaesthetic, stitches) cost me the same as 5 nights in a hospital bed (including meds with no operation involved). It is worth asking to see two (more will just confuse you) plans and actually comparing what is covered and by how much. I think the hospital stays and operations are the most important but you have to tailor it to your age, health etc.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 am

I went to a Cruz Blanca office and closed the deal with their agent today. UF 4 (roughly USD 160) for both of us, which is cheaper than what I had previously. I also paid their yearly UF 4 kicker for worldwide travel insurance for both of us, which is important because we have plans to travel to Europe for Christmas and it is a requirement for us to get in.

For whoever may be interested in it, the plan I signed for is the Cruz Blanca Vivo + 3100 (code 3V+3100E17). I also included an additional kicker for improved dental coverage (already reflecting in the 4 UF from above), as my wife may need maintenance for the dental treatment she had earlier this year. Our healthcare plan offers 100% coverage for inpatient and 90% coverage for outpatient procedures. The maximum yearly coverage is USD 200,000.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 am

I have Cruz Blanca also and am travelling to Canada and the US three or four times a year for 2 to 6 weeks at a time so this looked interesting.

But then I noticed the limit for medical interventions was $10,000. This might get you three stitches and a pain killer in the USA but little else.

What happens if you have multiple fractures in both legs? Or worse? I dont like to think about it but as a motorcyclist who likes to do 10,000 km tours every summer its always lurking there in the background.

Most of the travel health insurance companies I see are geared to US citizens.

Anybody know any good alternatives for non-USA citizens/residentes?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 am

I've been resorting to World Nomads for trips to the States. Their maximum pays are way way higher than any Chile sold plan but I fear what the reality is if something does happen.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks. A good tip. World Nomads generally seem to have good references, not usual for an insurance company.

And they cover everything that I do in their basic package. And their on line info is very clear.
But its not cheap, but limit is a generous $5,000,000 and not a ridiculous $10,000.

Before I jump I will consider the risks and options. If I am in Canada visiting kids for 4 weeks and then on the motorcycle for two weeks it may make more sense to get the Cruz Blanca extra for 4UF every year and then buy two weeks of Nomads for particular higher risk times.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 05, 2017 11:21 am

If you are in the States and need emergency medical treatment, charter a private jet and fly somewhere else. It will be cheaper, and you might even get to see a doctor before you bleed out in the emergency room.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Indeed, Cruz Blanca's coverage limit is only USD 10000. However, I have no plans of going to North America this year, so that's no concern to me. I also don't practice any adventure sport and I have a good health condition, so it's intended mostly to cover small emergencies in the 2 weeks I will pass on Europe and during the 2 to 4ish week's I will pass on Argentina during the year.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Just as a reference, my brother in law needed to do a rather complex medical procedure on Portugal last year and he paid around € 4400, as at the time he was there as a tourist and he overstayed his insurance policy coverage time.

Also, regarding taking a flight out of the country for treatment, I have a Brazilian friend that has a non-urgent medical condition that flew to Thailand stayed there for three months, did two surgeries and a full treatment and that was cheaper than doing the same treatment in Brazil. I assume that it would be an even better investment for and American to do the same for a non-emergency, as the medical costs in Trumpland are obviously way higher than in Brazil.