New user - Moved to Chile last December

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

tiagoabner

New user - Moved to Chile last December

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am

Hello, guys.
I have been lurking around in the forum for a long time and I'm now sharing with you my experiences regarding my reallocation to Chile. I have moved here three months ago with my wife, both of us healthy, in the high 20s and with no kids. Since there was no one back in Brazil depending on us, we have decided to live in a new country in the long term, as both security and economy back home are pretty much a mess at this moment.
We have at this moment proceeded with the Visa and Rut processes, which were a bit simplified due to a Visa agreement between Chile and Brazil. We have also found and rented an apartment in Santiago for our first year so we can explore the neighborhoods in detail. We are currently analyzing the possibility of purchasing a house in Vitacura or Lo Barnechea due to the best access of good schools when we have our kids within some years. There is also the possibility of living in the lakes region, but we are aware that there are less options regarding schools down there.
I have been working as a business analyst for an American company for the last few years, so we have a nice source of income which is complimented by some translation projects I also take from time to time. I also use a prepaid credit card to receive payments from my boss and from freelance projects, so getting money here is quite easy. Thanks for the tip regarding Banco Security, it has already saved me some hundreds of dollars in withdrawals. :wink:
Regarding the usual process of moving to here, we will not get a driver's license or a car at this moment, as they aren't needed for us right now in Santiago. We have also traveled quite lightly to Chile, so there are no containers pending or anything like that.

Space Cat

Re: New user - Moved to Chile last December

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Welcome!

May I wonder what's your visa proccess for working remotely with US client? Will you need to pay taxes in the first 3 years?

I was lucky to get through on the rentista one but now they do not accept work contracts for this type of visa. Still I'm occasionally getting questions about visas from freelancing friends.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Yes, I will pay them. One of the first steps I took before even moving here was to contact a reputable accounting office to discuss the taxes.

Technically speaking, I could have kept paying my taxes at Brazil, but that would be counterproductive due to the higher taxes back home. Neither me nor the company I work for aren't transactioning through any Chilean financial institution. My prepaid credit card also happens to be "bearable to the handler, equivalent to cash", which would also not be traceable in case I was ill intentioned.

However, it is in my interest to build a credit score here and I believe in playing by the books. Once I had my Visa Temporaria I needed to register with SII to "Iniciar actividades" so I could declare the income through "Boletas". I also had to follow their procedures regarding payments received from foreign companies not located in Chile. Our Visas were ready within around 50 days counting from the date we arrived, which seems to be exceptionally fast from what I've read before.

The "Iniciar actividades" procedures can be checked (in Spanish) here: http://www.sii.cl/como_se_hace_para/ini ... urales.htm

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Got it, thanks! What's your visa type for a foreign contract? TE8 that requires a diploma?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Space Cat wrote:Got it, thanks! What's your visa type for a foreign contract? TE8 that requires a diploma?
He already said the one for MERCUSUR citizens which is virtually unknown on this forum.

Requisitos De Visa Temporaria Por Primera Vez Acuerdo Sobre Residencia De Los Estados Partes Del Mercosur, Bolivia Y Chile (Ciudadanos De Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Paraguay Y Uruguay)
http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/201 ... 13-ISO.pdf
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Space Cat wrote:Got it, thanks! What's your visa type for a foreign contract? TE8 that requires a diploma?
He already said the one for MERCUSUR citizens which is virtually unknown on this forum.

Requisitos De Visa Temporaria Por Primera Vez Acuerdo Sobre Residencia De Los Estados Partes Del Mercosur, Bolivia Y Chile (Ciudadanos De Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Paraguay Y Uruguay)
http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/201 ... 13-ISO.pdf
Ah, thanks. I didn't get this part.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 am

Hello.
Yes, it was through the Mercosur Visa agreement. It entitled us a temporary residency visa valid for a year that we can switch to a permanent one on the last 3 months of its validity. I assume most people who get it either speak Spanish or Portuguese, so they should not be the focus of this forum and they should easily be able to get information about it on Extranjeria through the link posted by eeuunikkeiexpat.
However, I can describe my personal experience with it, if you guys want to learn about it from someone who underwent the procedures.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:00 am

Wow, sounds like a real viable foriegn resident to Chile and young too----You are Brazilian it sounds like and with a good income source outside of Chile---smart move and the best of luck to you---you will be fine I think.

###

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks.

Indeed, both me and my wife are Brazilians. I could have applied for German citizenship through my father, but that would take way too long and we really wanted to leave Brazil. The other options available for us to leave Brazil were to apply for for an L-type Visa for the USA, which I didn't want due to the need to negotiate and process most of the paperwork through my employee, or to apply for a "D-2 - Small investor" Visa for Portugal, which would also take too much time.

Fortunately at this moment income is not an issue for us. I have made excellent contacts in the translation field for specialized and technical documents, so I have a constant influx of translations projects to work with. They actually make up over two thirds of our income, so we don't depend upon my boss for our expenses. Also, we packed quite lightly when moving and we have taken with us only the essential, as basically anything else could easily have been replaced here. We didn't pay any kind of shipment fee or whatsoever to bring stuff back from home.
That wouldn't actually matter, as I work with a certain well known American shipping company I will not mention the name due to don't-advertise-on-the-forum reasons, but I get free worldwide shipping and free customs clearance fees with them.

Regarding health insurance, we are using a Allianz GlobalPass insurance for $491 monthly. It covers only Latin America and the Caribean, but we don't have plans of going elsewhere in the near future. However, it covers both inpatient and outpatient, dental, optical, health checks and maternity (10 months waiting time) with a $500 yearly deductible. Also, they offer direct billing at Santa Maria, they don't charge co-payments (except for dental and the deductible) and they cover everything, including the medical supplies and physiotherapy. My wife fell and sprained her ankle on the New Year's Eve and she also chipped of two teeth and everything has been working perfectly with them thus far.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 01, 2017 4:22 pm

I have been here for exactly 5 months, so I will do a small update.

Thus far we have been living in a reasonably new apartment in Recoleta, facing the mountains. The view is great and we get a lot of sunlight, which may be important once winter comes. I am currently using a 130mb internet plan from VTR that have suited our needs thus far. I didn't have any issues with them and they have been providing a nice service thus far. Since most of my work is done directly from home, a reliable internet connection is a defining factor.

Our life costs thus far have been an average $1300 per month, but that is without traveling too much and eating home most of the time. We have also made our health check ups and then switched to a less expensive health insurance plan with inpatient coverage only. This has saved us about $200 per month. For whoever might be interested in it, I will provide a detailed breakdown. I hope this can be useful for someone planning to move here, or something like that. Please notice that we are very mindful of our expenses, so they might be bellow average due to that.

Rent: CLP $415000, gastos included
Internet: CLP $42000
Water: CLP $6000
Electricity: CLP $11000
Health insurance: CLP $170000 (paid in USD, valid outside of Chile with direct billing in most large cities)
Groceries: CLP $240000 (we eat a very strict keto diet, so this is likely above average for a couple that don't purchase too much imported stuff. It is probably a good estimation for those who do eat imported food.)

Total budget: CLP $884000, or roughly USD $1300 per month.

I am currently analyzing the possibility of further downgrading the health insurance for an Isapre that covers emergencies in a nice clinic to further round down the budget, as both me and my wife are in a very good health condition (those health check ups I have mentioned previously endorse this), so we should need it for emergencies only. I usually travel once or twice per month to Argentina on business trips, but barring a car accident in Buenos Ayres I should be OK without international coverage.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Mon May 01, 2017 6:50 pm

That insurance seems much better than what you can buy inside the USA.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon May 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for sharing. We were spending the same amount initially in Valdivia but then started going out for lunch more frequently and it got to US$1500. :)

Our Banmedica plan costs us $118000 a month, without any health checks.