Registering my birth at Registro Civil

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: Registering my birth at Registro Civil

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 pm

In fact I was wrong and I hope this will clarify the issue:

"¿Cómo inscribo el nacimiento de mis hijos en el
extranjero, siendo chileno?
La inscripción de nacimiento de los hijos de chilenos
nacidos en el exterior se debe realizar ante el Consul
en cuya circunscripción ocurrió el nacimiento. El padre
o madre chileno deberá presentar el certificado de
nacimiento original emitido por las autoridades locales
competentes y el Cónsul chileno actuará como Ministro
de Fe, certificando la autenticidad de los documentos,
legalizándolos.Posteriormente, el Consulado enviará los
documentos a Chile para proceder a la inscripción del
nacimiento en el Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación.
Si por alguna razón el trámite de legalización e inscripción
no se realizó oportunamente en el Consulado de Chile
que corresponda, la documentación original puede
presentarse en el Departamento de Registro Civil del
Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Chile, pero resulta
más demoroso. Se ruega contactar directamente a dicho
Departamento para mayores detalles.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Lekki

Post by Lekki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I submitted all my legalised documents at the Registro Civil today and was told to check back in 15 days by which time my details should have been entered into the system and I should have a RUN

ingrambr

Post by ingrambr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 am

jehturner wrote:Although that sounds right, according to the above link he can nevertheless register his birth at the Registro Civil and I would have thought he will get some document akin to a consular birth certificate (as we did from the British Embassy in Santiago in the reverse case)? There must be some sort of receipt (eg. to use for applying for a passport).
Registering births of children seems like a pricey business for those with a UK parent. Just looking into registering my two daughters, and I know this is kind of off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to see if you can help me clear up some questions I have about registering Births in the UK.

Apparently I need to get translations by an approved translator. The website redirects me to a list of recommended Lawyers. Can anyone recommend one in particular? What is the approximate cost?

As well as paying 150GBP to register the birth, it says I need to pay 50GBP for a "Copy of a birth registration certificate". What exactly is this certificate. It says "copy", if I don't purchase this do they not give me a birth certificate?

Although I've been here for 8 years I've never used the Embassy. I've got a few questions about marriage visas etc... that might be a bit more complicated than the usual, is it easy to get advice there?

Thanks in advance.

Lekki

Post by Lekki » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 pm

ingrambr wrote:
jehturner wrote:Although that sounds right, according to the above link he can nevertheless register his birth at the Registro Civil and I would have thought he will get some document akin to a consular birth certificate (as we did from the British Embassy in Santiago in the reverse case)? There must be some sort of receipt (eg. to use for applying for a passport).
Registering births of children seems like a pricey business for those with a UK parent. Just looking into registering my two daughters, and I know this is kind of off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to see if you can help me clear up some questions I have about registering Births in the UK.

Apparently I need to get translations by an approved translator. The website redirects me to a list of recommended Lawyers. Can anyone recommend one in particular? What is the approximate cost?

As well as paying 150GBP to register the birth, it says I need to pay 50GBP for a "Copy of a birth registration certificate". What exactly is this certificate. It says "copy", if I don't purchase this do they not give me a birth certificate?

Although I've been here for 8 years I've never used the Embassy. I've got a few questions about marriage visas etc... that might be a bit more complicated than the usual, is it easy to get advice there?

Thanks in advance.
Heya, just trying to understand your post properly, are you trying to register your Chilean born daughters as British or British born daughters as Chilean

ingrambr

Post by ingrambr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Lekki wrote:
ingrambr wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Heya, just trying to understand your post properly, are you trying to register your Chilean born daughters as British or British born daughters as Chilean
Sorry... I want to register my Chilean born daughters as British. Father - British. Mother - Chilean.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:19 pm

It's more of an "ID/citizenship document" than a "birth certificate", be careful once you are a Chilean citizen, you MUST leave the country (for MOST other countries) on your Chilean passport, so you are in country until you have it in hand.
It's all about the wine.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 am

ingrambr wrote:Apparently I need to get translations by an approved translator. The website redirects me to a list of recommended Lawyers. Can anyone recommend one in particular? What is the approximate cost?
I vaguely remember seeing that but didn't get anything translated -- just sent in the Chilean birth certificate along with their form, a letter, our passports and I think maybe our UK marriage certificate and birth certificates too. The Embassy in Santiago must know how to read a Chilean birth certificate...
ingrambr wrote: As well as paying 150GBP to register the birth, it says I need to pay 50GBP for a "Copy of a birth registration certificate". What exactly is this certificate. It says "copy", if I don't purchase this do they not give me a birth certificate?
Yes (double take), you have to pay both the fees to get a single certificate. It's quite expensive and you don't have to do it to get a pasport (in fact they try to discourage you) but it does make it easier once you have done it, eg. if your children lose their passports in future, I should imagine it's easier to produce this certificate than to demonstrate their entitlement from scratch again, producing your birth certificate etc. Factor in international couriers and other inconvenience and it might not seem like a bad one-time insurance policy.

Cheers,

James.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 am

PS. You could conceivably just pay the main registration fee and then get a cheaper copy of the certificate from the GRO 180 months from now, if you don't need it in a hurry (presumably you know they have registered the birth since they charge you for it and return your documents)...

ingrambr

Post by ingrambr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:06 am

jehturner wrote:
ingrambr wrote:Apparently I need to get translations by an approved translator. The website redirects me to a list of recommended Lawyers. Can anyone recommend one in particular? What is the approximate cost?
I vaguely remember seeing that but didn't get anything translated -- just sent in the Chilean birth certificate along with their form, a letter, our passports and I think maybe our UK marriage certificate and birth certificates too. The Embassy in Santiago must know how to read a Chilean birth certificate...

Thanks for the reply. It seems that the system may have changed with a lot of these things and everything has to be sent directly to England rather than going via the Embassy, or that's what it seems to me from the information on the website. On a side note, I remember when I got married in 2006, we obtained the marriage visa in the Embassy in Santiago, now it seems that it's sent to an embassy elsewhere? I'm not actually too sure of the process, but it's a pain in the backside. Moving back to England with my wife has become a nightmare, compared to how it was 11 years ago the first time around. The visa seems to be 6 times more expensive, it seems there is now a further cost of a Healthcare surcharge and it seems that I need to have a proof of how much I'm earning and it needs to be over a certain minimum. ie. it seems that I have to be working there first, before a visa can be obtained. Really annoying.

After analysing the situation more, I think instead I will look into applying for a passport.

Does anybody know if there would be a problem if my Chilean daughters enter the UK as visitors with their Chilean passports and then I apply for their UK passports, with the necessary documents?

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 am

Oh. Yes, they did say in 2012 that they might stop doing it but hadn't last time I checked.

Yes, I've read about these strange spousal visa requirements on the BBC, eg. high earners being kicked out because their British spouse doesn't earn enough and some health insurance thing.
ingrambr wrote:Does anybody know if there would be a problem if my Chilean daughters enter the UK as visitors with their Chilean passports and then I apply for their UK passports, with the necessary documents?
This is a slightly grey area that I looked into a bit when there were major delays in issuing passports around the time my daughter was born. Unlike some countries, the UK seems to have no obligation to use your British passport to enter or leave (I gather some dual nationals use their other passport fairly routinely). However (I hope I am stating this accurately), when claiming British nationality, you are required to demonstrate that by producing your British passport -- so (presumably) either you get their passports beforehand or you enter them as foreign nationals. If you produce a Chilean passport and also claim to be British, I should imagine immigration is going to be unhappy (though I'm not aware of any sanction for this, beyond the possibility of spending a long time in a holding room). If you do enter them as foreign nationals, any nominal immigration restrictions such as a 90-day visa would be inapplicable -- but I don't know whether any government department will give you a hard time about this, since it potentially creates abnormal admin. I should think your wife's case for remaining in the UK will be stronger if she has 2 documented British children, rather than you appearing to import 3 foreigners... At the end of the day, it seems you do have something to lose by not following any expected procedure as carefully as practical, if you have to persuade the government to let your wife stay, so I'd personally try to get your daughters' passports beforehand if possible.

Lekki

Post by Lekki » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 am

A bit of an update on this, I submitted all documents at Registro about a month ago and have since left for London, as I was told it could take up to 65 days.

However yesterday my friend whose number I left as my contact received a call telling her that I had to come in for my fingerprint to be taken in order to enter it into the database.

This is ofcourse incredibly frustrating. The alternative I was given was to take my documents back and submit at a consulate where I can be present for fingerprints which they say could take up to a year.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this pushed through without having to travel all the way back for the fingerprint? or have to wait a year by doing it abroad?

Admin, any thoughts or recent experiences with these inscriptions of adult Chilean born abroad?

Lekki

Post by Lekki » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 pm

To close this, I finally received my RUT and Chilean birth certificate back. I am however back in London so I visited the consulate here to apply for a passport. They said as its my first passport it will take about two months to get to me but I am in no hurry now.