New user introduction

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

gymbal

New user introduction

Post by gymbal » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Chile from the UK some time in June next year. Just spent two months travelling around with my girlfriend and we think we've found where we'd like to live, somewhere near Puerto Varas.

So, I'll probably be asking loads of questions about setting up a business, buying land, building a property and everything in between! Depending on what land we can buy we are leaning towards some sort of eco tourist business so I'm keen to learn as much as I can about green and alternative energy sources. I was really shocked seeing the smog in Pucon one evening from all the log burners!

Look forward to getting to know you all better.

Gloria

Re: New user introduction

Post by Gloria » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:38 pm

The "search" button will be your best friend. We charge hefty for whatever else we answer.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Also have a read of the Wiki. You will find lots of answers there.
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index.php/Main_Page

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't understand why you were shocked. Wood is essentially free. Everything else is not.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Zenth wrote:I don't understand why you were shocked. Wood is essentially free. Everything else is not.
I don´t know where do you live but here in the south most people pay high price for wood. A cubic meter cost $ 28.000 to $33.000.

La leña en el sur de Chile: el principal combustible

La leña es el principal combustible residencial en las ciudades tanto para calefacción como para cocción de alimentos. Esto por su disponibilidad y bajo precio comparado con otras fuentes de energía.

No obstante, como ha sido constantemente advertido a la población, la leña tiene asociados problemas ambientales debido a la contaminación por la leña húmeda y la conservación de los bosques nativos.

Los consumidores que elijan leña certificada se aseguran de la calidad del producto y del origen, lo que garantiza que no se está atentando contra el medio ambiente.

La Seremi de Medio Ambiente, junto a otras reparticiones del sector público como el Sernac, han desarrollado iniciativas que contemplan entre sus acciones la entrega de una lista con los locales que ofrezcan leña seca certificada y que respondan a la norma 2907/2005.

Esta norma establece las características que debe tener la leña para un consumo apropiado, indicando, por ejemplo, que la humedad de la madera no puede superar el 25% y que el diámetro no debe ser mayor que 16 cm.

De cumplirse estos requisitos, los usuarios de leña no tendrían el problema de exceso de contaminación y reducirían el volumen consumido, pues el poder calorífico aumenta y las estufas y cocinas de combustión lenta logran funcionar a su real capacidad.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

gymbal

Post by gymbal » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 pm

OK, I was shocked at how thick the smoke was... I was choking just walking down the street!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:00 pm

gymbal wrote:OK, I was shocked at how thick the smoke was... I was choking just walking down the street!
That 'cause people buy the green or go and cut down a tree then chopping to bits for fire-wood.! The dry wood cost money
and Chilenos do-what-ever-to=gettin'-it-for-free! Thus emitting 10 folds smoke than the dry ones and those green smoke are very toxic. I once was at my friends log-cabin high in the mountain, he had very small supply of dry woods left. So we decided to chop off some branches off a downed tree and combine the dry ones with the fresh cut ones so to save in a way but soon after fire started, a choking smoke started to fill the fire-place room where we were! Never try to burn semi-dry woods, it can kill you!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 pm

We've tried wood paraffin and gas I haven't noticed one being more expensive than the other although never looked at it closely. I expect some get free wood (live by a forest) but even then there is the value of your time to cut and collect it. It's only cheaper if you are poor. If you earn decent money it's probably cheaper to pay for ready wood and use your time freed to earn money faster in something else.

The one thing that's expensive is electric heating.

Hope things work out for you.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Suffer the initial high expense, and get a Toyatomi forced extraction heater. With a large external tank.
Incredibly easy, fast, and efficient. Not mention the air quality inside your home stays neutral in every way. And you can time it to wake up with your whole home already warm. Circulates warmth far better than our large wood burner, which I only fire up if I want to.
Sound investment after a few winters.
And my family loves it. No arguing over lighting the damn wood burner.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Britkid wrote: The one thing that's expensive is electric heating.
Not really. I had two gas wall heaters and a rolling gas heater. I put them on in the evening only. I got fed up with the bad air quality from the gas. I went electric...a Thorben..and comparing what I used to pay for piped gas and a canister for the rolling heater every month, it came out to a very similar amount.The house is warmer and cleaner. This heater is for the living areas of the house as I don't mind a cold bedroom. If I had a heater in that area then costs would be higher obviously. I live in Santiago and other regions may require more heaters too. But my switch was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.