Chile Forum Anniversary- 10 years!!!!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Chile Forum Anniversary- 10 years!!!!

Post by admin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

Well, who would have thought this little social media experiment would have kept going for 10 years.

Back when we started this forum, there was little to nothing about Chile on the Internet with any depth of information. A few expat myspace type blogs. A few real estate scams targeting expats. Chile, the vegetable, often outranked Chile the country in the search engines. Even in Spanish, almost none of the web sites worked as they were just a bunch of Flash media player sites. Even if you could load them, they did not have any useful information beyond pretty pictures and graphics. Most of the Chilean government offices did not even have web sites you could find in Google, and was mostly out of date or just wrong.

My original motive for starting this forum was to cut down on repeatedly answering the same basic questions about Chile in emails. Well, it did do that to some extent. It also increased the number of emails we got overall, after the basic questions were answered. So, as long as that keeps on happening, I guess I can afford to keep the lights on around here.

Big thanks to all the members that have kept it going over the years.

Who knows, perhaps we will be around for another 10 years. 8_0
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

susiedillon

Re: Chile Forum Anniversary- 10 years!!!!

Post by susiedillon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:52 am

Congrats, Admin! I, for one, am grateful for all your efforts and for all the support and advice received from the forum members over the years. Our life in Chile could have been a lot more challenging if we had had to re-invent the wheel each time a new desafio happened. So for the sake of future newcomers to Chile, I hope we can all keep the forum alive and well for a long time to come! Yay, AllChile.net !!!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 am

When I got here in early 2001, there was literally NOTHING of value for newbies to Chile on the net. Yes, there was the somewhat helpful Santiago Times page for newcomers, there were conventional meatspace expat groups like the Santiago snobby ladies club (not much value for types like me), there were the "travel" forums like Frommers, TripAdvisor, FlyerTalk and Thorn Tree (the most useful of them) but outside of US and Chile embassy and consulate info pages (later found not to be 100% accurate), NADA.

There were some books and ebooks and associated websites on the subject but they were basically one man or groupthink guru political screeds with incorrect and outdated info or a marketing buy our help agenda.

Yahoo lists were the big thing to come on the scene a couple of years later. The first truly useful forum arrived on the scene, the Chilegringos Yahoo list. There was also a Chile spouses and a writers group.

Then the explosion of blogs and such but they are just one person's usually extremely subjective and unique to them experience or viewpoint and not a format to search for the objective truth of an expat in Chile subject.

Then came the All Chile forum. I remember admin posting an invite message on the Chilegringos group. I quickly joined and saw a ghost town of a forum (like previous attempts by others) but which had potential. It was literally just me and three or four other posters answering questions and exchanging info on a forum based on the famous and familiar phpBB code.

Then it exploded and some of the famous characters like El Puelche arrived and the rest is history (and another long story in itself).
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Well, the first forum was attached to allsouthernchile.com, and it was just pounded by spammers and got very little real posts. Still, it got just sufficient interest to make a more serious go of it worth trying. I decided I needed to cast a wider net, as Chile was already a fairly limited corner of Internet and the World.

Yea, there was a rather hard core group of people that came in to the forum in that first year or two that finally moved the needle.

That lead to a group of users that started coming to the forum before they moved to Chile, actually made the move to Chile, then reported back their experiences, both good and bad. Greg and Vicky were likely among the very first, as the forum was just getting going at that point.

We still talk to people everyday, that are still living in Chile, that used the forum for their first year or two as they got settled. The real number we will probably never know, but I get fairly robust feedback through email questions, running in to people, and so on, that there are a lot more out there than the forum official registration stats will ever reflect that have used the forum.

It was proof of concept that what the forum was providing was real useful information that worked in practice, and that attracted other people to use the forum as a guide to move to Chile.

The largest explosion of users we ever had however was the earthquake in 2010. hundreds of people that really had not reason to ever visit an expat web site about Chile, started joining the forum to search for family and friends, donate money for relief efforts, and generally just follow what was going on. A lot of Chileans started using the forum also during that time. A few other natural disasters also got some similar attention. The Chaiten volcano. Vicky's posts from Futa will always be classic reads on the forum.

After the earthquake, during the search for forum members that had not checked in, we were able to reach one forum member's Chilean girlfriend. She asked who we were, we explained that we were from allchile.net. Her reply was, "oh, that dam website he spends so much time on".

On some level, that is about as good an endorsement as you can get. Likely another big endorsement of the forum, is the number of people that have left Chile for whatever reason, and still stop by the forum to see what is going on. I have had a few people over the years email, and tell me they really have no interest in Chile, but have read the forum simply because they liked the conversation.

I think the thing however that has kept the forum rolling, is it not getting too big. Had this for instance exploded in to something like a flier's talk or some other large forum on the internet, where say there are a 1,000+ users online at any moment, it would have diluted the quality of the forum. It would have become too impersonal, and too anonymous. A large portion of the long-term members know each other, have met. After the earthquake, even with the smashed communication system in the country, we were able to account for just about all the members in about a day or two. That was because the degrees of separation, in the real World, were often one member or less. That, I believe, in itself has served to make the information more trustworthy, and accountable, overall. You don't normally get that from any online web site. It is actually pretty unique on the Internet overall.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:37 pm

:lol:
admin wrote:...

After the earthquake, during the search for forum members that had not checked in, we were able to reach one forum member's Chilean girlfriend. She asked who we were, we explained that we were from allchile.net. Her reply was, "oh, that dam website he spends so much time on".

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Charles, your forum, your insightful posts, your irreverent sense of humor as well as your sophisticated global vision are one of the reasons I have followed this forum for years and it definitely influenced my decision to move to Chile. The contributions of other members are amazing; a whole spectrum of well articulated political views. There are some truly brilliant expats in Chile. It seems to attract the intelligent ones who can think outside the box. Also this forum was not a shill for a country like so many others are, it is a true information sharing site where you can get the good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful if you search. Of course I miss patagoniax and his brilliance ... hope he returns.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Charles, congratulations on 10 years, and thank you for making this resource available. It's helped me tremendously. :thumleft:

john

Post by john » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Charles, congratulations on reaching the 10 year milestone! You are to be commended for creating this very useful and highly informative expat forum. I have found AllChile.net to be an invaluable source of information sharing which has positively contributed to my transition to life in Chile.

Keep up the good work!

John
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:37 pm

admin wrote:After the earthquake, even with the smashed communication system in the country, we were able to account for just about all the members in about a day or two. That was because the degrees of separation, in the real World, were often one member or less.
It was MikieO that contacted me via telephone to check up on me after my multi-day absence from the forum. He dutifully reported back on my OK status and especially about the toilet that came off it's foundation in the depto. :)
Que será, será.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Congratulations Admin,
Thanks for putting the effort into making everyone's lives a bit happier and easier with the wealth of information provided here.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Magnyz

Post by Magnyz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Congrats admin ...
says member #15 (mas o menos) :D

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Allchile.net florishing. Ten years?
It seems much longer in existence than the number suggest. From time to time do read posts of years prior to me joining in 2011..Hoping to see this forum going strong for another ten years to come! Good job indeed, Charles..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.