Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Re: New Member

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri May 02, 2014 4:01 pm

hstutz wrote:
Gloria wrote:
hstutz wrote:I am 27 years old.. bilingual .. don't speak Spanish though...
So, you are just monolingual, never mind if you know.......... "wasamaterforyou"....that won't count.
WOW.. .. quite the welcome :) I m bilingual ... I speak and write 2 languages fluently .... and I am currently starting to learn Spanish..

I think I'll stay away from quoting Gloria.. my intention for joining this forum is to know more about Chile and expat's experiences there! :wink:
I guess what Gloria-san is insinuating that being able to speak and write in English and or French, does not mean much in Chile. And not to learnin' spanish, it won't be much help to you living there in chile. You have got start practicing the Chilensis and that, Gloria-san can be very fluent and teach you a thing or two!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Veni, Vidi, Vici. Chile... Of those three, I have achieved the first two, the third one a big ??
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

hstutz

Post by hstutz » Fri May 02, 2014 4:09 pm

I am starting Spanish now.. studying it seriously... I already know Spanish is the language in Chile and started taking steps to learn the language... I read Spanish very well.. (pronunciation).. thanks to Spanish in high school... so its not like I am unfamiliar with the language... when I visit Chile my goal is to be able to hold a conversation . going there with no knowledge of the language is not a good idea..I already know that I don't need people telling me that. :)

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Creo que nadie preguntó, pero por si acaso, ¿cuál es el otro idioma que hablas?

hstutz

Post by hstutz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:06 pm

El Zorro wrote:Creo que nadie preguntó, pero por si acaso, ¿cuál es el otro idioma que hablas?
I read it . don't understand it well.. I think your asking what languages I speak?

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri May 02, 2014 6:17 pm

exactamente !

hstutz

Post by hstutz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

jamie_m wrote:exactamente !
I speak English and Arabic..

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri May 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Inquiring minds might want to know why you are not raking up some dough as a translator\interpreter at 27, even in the US, but you may have your reasons. Good luck with your Spanish, and follow your dreams.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 pm

hstutz wrote: I and my family as considering moving to Chile......
And also inquiring minds would like to know why would you and your family would want to leave "the greatest :mrgreen: country in the world" to come to Chilitoland...?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

hstutz

Post by hstutz » Sat May 03, 2014 10:32 am

Gloria wrote:
hstutz wrote: I and my family as considering moving to Chile......
And also inquiring minds would like to know why would you and your family would want to leave "the greatest :mrgreen: country in the world" to come to Chilitoland...?
:) libertarian mindset makes me want to leave ..... greatest country in the world ?/// more like the most debtor nation.... minimum wage rises laws ...obamcare.. need I say more?

john

Post by john » Sat May 03, 2014 1:39 pm

hstutz wrote:
:) libertarian mindset makes me want to leave ..... greatest country in the world ?/// more like the most debtor nation.... minimum wage rises laws ...obamcare.. need I say more?
Given your 'libertarian' mindset, the idiom "out of the frying pan, into the fire" comes to mind. :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

CPATX

Post by CPATX » Sat May 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Welcome on here, no need to get slammed down like that in your first introduction. I am glad to see another young family and yes, I echo the sentiment that competent schooling is an issue that you have to consider from the beginning. Of course you are bilingual. Kudos for you being fluent in two completely different languages, especially a difficult one like Arabic. That and having lived in different countries will it much easier for you to adapt to a new culture whether it is Chile or any other place you choose. Do you already know which area you are interested in moving to, when and what you are planning to do? Considering your age, I assume you are not in the retirement category yet. .