Hola Chile! Estoy verando a Antofagasta

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

icanreachit

Hola Chile! Estoy verando a Antofagasta

Post by icanreachit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Hey everyone! As the title implies, I will be moving to Antofagasta in two weeks. I have accepted an opportunity with a local company and will be working there for the next year. I've joined the Antofagasta Expants on Facebook and have searched here quite a bit but I've still got a few questions:

1) Cell phones - Is it possible to retain service with my current provider or is there a recommended service provider?

2) Transportation - I got around by bike during college and have no objections to riding around within a 10-mile radius to save money and avoid car hassles. Is this a safe activity? Is a road/mountain bike preferable? Are there stores for tubes/tires/supplies?

3) Comida - Any food/activity recommendations beyond what I can dig up with TripAdvisor and Yelp?

Thank you for your help!

zer0nz

Re: Hola Chile! Estoy verando a Antofagasta

Post by zer0nz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm

stay in the states, your in for a treat and rather green :)

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey everyone! As the title implies, I will be moving to Antofagasta in two weeks. I have accepted an opportunity with a local company and will be working there for the next year. I've joined the Antofagasta Expants on Facebook and have searched here quite a bit but I've still got a few questions:

1) Cell phones - Is it possible to retain service with my current provider or is there a recommended service provider?
meaning will your usa cell phone work here.. sure, you will go bankrupt in a couple of weeks.. then what do you have left.. obamacare? you will need to get a plan here, if you don't have a liberated phone from the usa (talk to your carrier, good luck with that) then you will also need to buy a phone here

2) Transportation - I got around by bike during college and have no objections to riding around within a 10-mile radius to save money and avoid car hassles. Is this a safe activity? Is a road/mountain bike preferable? Are there stores for tubes/tires/supplies?
Yes, no, yes, no ,yes, no... we are not columbia or argentina, or peru, but we are chile and chile means safer than other SA countries in terms of crazy drivers and muggings... but not perfect.... no its so backwards in that they have restaurants on tripadvisor and yelp, but no bike repair shops

3) Comida - Any food/activity recommendations beyond what I can dig up with TripAdvisor and Yelp?
its antofagasta, if you find 2 places thats it!

Thank you for your help!

update wow there are 34 restaurants on tripadvisor.... consider that a bonus

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Antofagasta Expants
That sounds like a ot more fun than expats! :D

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Antofagasta Expants
pants seem over rated..

OP are you here to represent the fine church of the latter day saints?

mmm, they are not allowed to call home from what i understand so there goes the theory , he wanted to have his telephone!

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm

This allchile wiki article might help a bit: http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... ntofagasta

Please contribute to its improvement after you live there awhile.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Two responses in the yellow pages for "bicicletas" in "antofagasta ii region", but one is in Calama:
http://www.amarillas.cl/b/bicicletas/an ... ii-region/
So there is at least one possibility. I can't believe a town of almost a half million people won't have a few bicycle shops.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Bikes are pretty expensive here. Check with your airline to see if they'd let you pass a bike as checked luggage.

Riyko

Post by Riyko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:54 am

zer0nz wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
Antofagasta Expants
pants seem over rated..

OP are you here to represent the fine church of the latter day saints?

mmm, they are not allowed to call home from what i understand so there goes the theory , he wanted to have his telephone!
If he is you are correct they are only allowed to write letters or emails to family unless the church has relaxed the rule in the past week (one of my friends left for his mission a week ago and told me he can't call me while he's gone).

As for the expants what made you break up/do to them to make them expants :D
"por la muestra se conoce el paño"

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 pm

icanreachit wrote:Hey everyone! As the title implies, I will be moving to Antofagasta in two weeks. I have accepted an opportunity with a local company and will be working there for the next year. I've joined the Antofagasta Expants on Facebook and have searched here quite a bit but I've still got a few questions:

Thank you for your help!
1. Phones: Either bring an unlocked phone or buy a phone here. It's cheaper to get one from abroad and then get a pay as you go SIM. Virgin are good for data.
2. Cycling: All depends on where you live/work in Antofa. If you live in the North to the centro, there is a relatively decent cycle path on the coastal road. Anywhere else and you are taking your life into your hands. Also, the city is built into the cerro, so, you can go downhill one way, but it's a bitch to cycle up-hill. I think you can buy cycling spares here.
3. Comida - there are an increasing number of decent Peruvian restaurants here. You can get decent standard Chilean food and the fish/mariscos are very good too (but pricey).

Good luck and drop me a pm when you get here and we can point you in the right direction for stuff if you are stuck
FB