mailing from Chile to US and vice versa

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

gardengal64

mailing from Chile to US and vice versa

Post by gardengal64 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 am

I've been in Chile nearly a year now and have had small personal things sent here via FedEx (costs are very expensive and it ends up taking weeks/months due to customs) and am wondering about using USPS instead of FedEx. Is there any difference in the costs or time factor? Also, wanted to send my Mom in US some Maqui berries from my yard but I don't know if that is something I can legally do or what the costs would be. Any advice?

Donnybrook2

Re: mailing from Chile to US and vice versa

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:30 pm

I have sent things to the US many times over the years and all arrived within the 20 day period and often before. This was just registered post. You do need to understand the different options re weight etc. Periodically the aduana (customs) here changes what is allowed. They say it is the receiving country which dictates this. So you also need to ask in the post office about what is not allowed. I think food (this included tea bags) was added some years ago. I don't know if it is currently in place but I doubt fruit would be allowed.

I receive packages via Amazon delivery and they take a long time but arrive well with no extra costs or holdups. This means buying something via Amazon rather than a personally made up package.

There are some services which will bring small things in a suitcase but I don't remember any names. See if a search brings up any names.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Some years ago my parents sent me Tea Bags.....These were despatched from Ringtons in the UK as a Christmas Gift. Ringtons used DHL whose representative in Santiago contacted me and said they would need a further sum of around $120mil to forward them to me in Concepcion......That's not how I understand courier companies to work. I declined to pay it and told them to "Return-to-Sender... I wasn't paying.
I advised Ringtons via their website but never heard any more about it.

As to sending maqui berries, I would say; No chance. Pretty sure they would be seized & destroyed.

Recently, I applied to FCP Euro in the USA for some nylon/plastic window sliding blocks for my Volvo car: I need 4 at US1.50 each.... Great I thought, shipping those in a Jiffy Bag weighing a couple of ounces should be reasonable....
Wrong again...they wanted close to US$50! Totally ridiculous. (Especially when you consider that Chinese companies, selling all manner of goods, ship worldwide from various locations....Free.)

Some time ago I visited the local Chile Post Office to send an envelope to a pension company based in Edinburgh, Scotland. The clerk assured me there was no such country listed called Scotland! He even phoned the head office in Santiago and they agreed....No...No country called Scotland on their computer either!
I returned a day or so later: the same envelope addressed "....Edinburgh, [Post code] Gran Bretaña. No problem.
(I must send that story to the Wee Krankie, aka Nicola Sturgeon....that should raise her blood pressure!)

nomad747

Post by nomad747 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 pm

The Chile SAG website - "servicio agrícola y ganadero" should point you in the right direction for imports or exports. They do allow for a surprising amount of food products to ship to the US. But in my experience, it is best to stick with dehydrated food products, because they typically sit far too long with customs before officially leaving Chile, and likewise it sits again at the US border as well (also there is less paperwork with these types of shipments - forms and instructions are all provided through the SAG website).

As for routine shipping experiences, mine are far from consistent - I routinely ship between Chile and the US/UK/Bulgaria/Turkey/Malaysia - delivery times and quality are never consistent. I have had simple business sized envelopes take months to be delivered through normal (not expedited) post, but at other times they arrive within 10 days or so - to/from the same country. Same with packages and it seems not to matter what size or method of shipping has been used. As a general rule, I am happy if my packages arrive sometime in the following 365 days :lol:

Also in my experience, specifically with shipments to/from the US, is that all packages, regardless of weight, size, or priority sent, are likely to look like the victims of an impromptu soccer match upon arrival - where the package has been used as the "ball":roll: :roll: . Luckily I learned this lesson early and advise everyone to package things accordingly if the US is a stop en route- typically and incredibly the products inside usually go by unscathed but the packaging itself takes a very hard beating indeed (protection inside the package is key!). I have never had any issues whatsoever with packages to/from any other country, so I think the issue is on the US side somewhere - sometimes I just imagine a worker in the US, who just hates on other countries, and decides to jump up and down on all the international packages that come across their path :lol: :lol: :lol:

gardengal64

Post by gardengal64 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Donnybrook2 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:30 pm
I have sent things to the US many times over the years and all arrived within the 20 day period and often before. This was just registered post. You do need to understand the different options re weight etc. Periodically the aduana (customs) here changes what is allowed. They say it is the receiving country which dictates this. So you also need to ask in the post office about what is not allowed. I think food (this included tea bags) was added some years ago. I don't know if it is currently in place but I doubt fruit would be allowed.

I receive packages via Amazon delivery and they take a long time but arrive well with no extra costs or holdups. This means buying something via Amazon rather than a personally made up package.

There are some services which will bring small things in a suitcase but I don't remember any names. See if a search brings up any names.
Thank you. That is interesting that Amazon packages come through without any additional costs. I have been paying some pretty high fees lately. At first, this was not the case so I'm not sure what changed.

gardengal64

Post by gardengal64 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 pm

Sparky wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:17 pm
Some years ago my parents sent me Tea Bags.....These were despatched from Ringtons in the UK as a Christmas Gift. Ringtons used DHL whose representative in Santiago contacted me and said they would need a further sum of around $120mil to forward them to me in Concepcion......That's not how I understand courier companies to work. I declined to pay it and told them to "Return-to-Sender... I wasn't paying.
I advised Ringtons via their website but never heard any more about it.

As to sending maqui berries, I would say; No chance. Pretty sure they would be seized & destroyed.

Recently, I applied to FCP Euro in the USA for some nylon/plastic window sliding blocks for my Volvo car: I need 4 at US1.50 each.... Great I thought, shipping those in a Jiffy Bag weighing a couple of ounces should be reasonable....
Wrong again...they wanted close to US$50! Totally ridiculous. (Especially when you consider that Chinese companies, selling all manner of goods, ship worldwide from various locations....Free.)

Some time ago I visited the local Chile Post Office to send an envelope to a pension company based in Edinburgh, Scotland. The clerk assured me there was no such country listed called Scotland! He even phoned the head office in Santiago and they agreed....No...No country called Scotland on their computer either!
I returned a day or so later: the same envelope addressed "....Edinburgh, [Post code] Gran Bretaña. No problem.
(I must send that story to the Wee Krankie, aka Nicola Sturgeon....that should raise her blood pressure!)
Thanks for the reply/info and the hilarious story about Scotland's disappearance from the face of the earth :-)

gardengal64

Post by gardengal64 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:18 pm

nomad747 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 pm
The Chile SAG website - "servicio agrícola y ganadero" should point you in the right direction for imports or exports. They do allow for a surprising amount of food products to ship to the US. But in my experience, it is best to stick with dehydrated food products, because they typically sit far too long with customs before officially leaving Chile, and likewise it sits again at the US border as well (also there is less paperwork with these types of shipments - forms and instructions are all provided through the SAG website).

As for routine shipping experiences, mine are far from consistent - I routinely ship between Chile and the US/UK/Bulgaria/Turkey/Malaysia - delivery times and quality are never consistent. I have had simple business sized envelopes take months to be delivered through normal (not expedited) post, but at other times they arrive within 10 days or so - to/from the same country. Same with packages and it seems not to matter what size or method of shipping has been used. As a general rule, I am happy if my packages arrive sometime in the following 365 days :lol:

Also in my experience, specifically with shipments to/from the US, is that all packages, regardless of weight, size, or priority sent, are likely to look like the victims of an impromptu soccer match upon arrival - where the package has been used as the "ball":roll: :roll: . Luckily I learned this lesson early and advise everyone to package things accordingly if the US is a stop en route- typically and incredibly the products inside usually go by unscathed but the packaging itself takes a very hard beating indeed (protection inside the package is key!). I have never had any issues whatsoever with packages to/from any other country, so I think the issue is on the US side somewhere - sometimes I just imagine a worker in the US, who just hates on other countries, and decides to jump up and down on all the international packages that come across their path :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets their packages in that condition. I don't care how much tape is applied in the US, they all arrive looking just like you described. I guess now I am just grateful (and shocked) if they make it here at all. I think you might be right about that worker stomping on them...