Path to become a naturalized Chilean citizen and get a Chilean Passport

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Neo96

Re: Path to become a naturalized Chilean citizen and get a Chilean Passport

Post by Neo96 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:47 am
Neo96 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am
vamoschile wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm
Neo96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm a U.S. citizen looking to become a naturalized citizen of Chile so I can get the Chilean passport and have Chile as a potential base.
Why Chile? Why not Ivory Coast, Mexico, Australia?
Because Chile seems to have pretty nice vibe with nice people and is in a good time zone, great nature attractions, allows unlimited other citizenships, doesn't have a super strict physical presence test for citizenship, and has a great passport...which is important to allow me to be in a good position to renounce my U.S. citizenship should I choose to do so.

I'm already living in Colombia now but I don't want to become a Colombian citizen....halfway decent travel document but the country still doesn't have that good of a reputation internationally and it isn't all that safe here.
I don't think you get that Chile will require you to have significant ties in Chile before they give Citizenship. You also need to understand that lots of people want to come to Chile and in my opinion you will see a large clamp down on ties to Chile before they grant citizenship. You have to think most of the immigrants that have come to Chile have come in the last 5-7 years and they can almost qualify for citizenship which in my opinion will cause a lock down on who qualifies because before this large influx of immigrants Chile might have been naturalizing at max 1000 people a year but probably closer to 100 people a year. FYI There are roughly 1+ million foreign born people living in Chile right now.
I think that Chile won't necessarily naturalize migrants from very poor countries like Haiti and Venezuela because if they get a chilean passport and get rejected for a visa to the USA with a Chilean passport then they will jeopordize Chile's visa-free travel to the USA which only accepts countries with a 3% or less visa rejection rate. (To qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, a country must have had a nonimmigrant visa refusal rate of less than 3% for the previous year or an average of no more than 2% over the past two fiscal years with neither year going above 2.5%.)

I'm betting Chile takes this into account and looks at where people are from knowing which countries pose more of a liability for that person being more likely to be rejected and putting their visa-free travel in some super difficult countries like the USA. So it would be less of a liability for Chile to naturalize a US citizen than someone from Haiti or Venezuela etc.

Neo96

Post by Neo96 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 am

RocketRichard wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 am
When I applied for Chilean citizenship, it was pretty straightforward. However, I was told to have patience once the paperwork was in process. They weren´t kidding...its been more than 3.5 years now and still waiting for the notification that it has been approved.
Wow 3.5 years? Have you been constantly on their case about it? Also, which country are you from? Which other passport(s) do you hold?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:01 am

Neo96 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 pm
vamoschile wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:47 am
Neo96 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am
vamoschile wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm
Neo96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm a U.S. citizen looking to become a naturalized citizen of Chile so I can get the Chilean passport and have Chile as a potential base.
Why Chile? Why not Ivory Coast, Mexico, Australia?
Because Chile seems to have pretty nice vibe with nice people and is in a good time zone, great nature attractions, allows unlimited other citizenships, doesn't have a super strict physical presence test for citizenship, and has a great passport...which is important to allow me to be in a good position to renounce my U.S. citizenship should I choose to do so.

I'm already living in Colombia now but I don't want to become a Colombian citizen....halfway decent travel document but the country still doesn't have that good of a reputation internationally and it isn't all that safe here.
I don't think you get that Chile will require you to have significant ties in Chile before they give Citizenship. You also need to understand that lots of people want to come to Chile and in my opinion you will see a large clamp down on ties to Chile before they grant citizenship. You have to think most of the immigrants that have come to Chile have come in the last 5-7 years and they can almost qualify for citizenship which in my opinion will cause a lock down on who qualifies because before this large influx of immigrants Chile might have been naturalizing at max 1000 people a year but probably closer to 100 people a year. FYI There are roughly 1+ million foreign born people living in Chile right now.
I think that Chile won't necessarily naturalize migrants from very poor countries like Haiti and Venezuela because if they get a chilean passport and get rejected for a visa to the USA with a Chilean passport then they will jeopordize Chile's visa-free travel to the USA which only accepts countries with a 3% or less visa rejection rate. (To qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, a country must have had a nonimmigrant visa refusal rate of less than 3% for the previous year or an average of no more than 2% over the past two fiscal years with neither year going above 2.5%.)

I'm betting Chile takes this into account and looks at where people are from knowing which countries pose more of a liability for that person being more likely to be rejected and putting their visa-free travel in some super difficult countries like the USA. So it would be less of a liability for Chile to naturalize a US citizen than someone from Haiti or Venezuela etc.
what are you talking about?

that has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Bastian

Post by Bastian » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:05 am

Great info reading through this thread but my case is quite different. I have a month old son with a Chilean lady but we're not legally married. I live and own a business in Chile. I've already applied for Permanencia Definitiva earlier on after a year on temporary residence visa. They say it takes about a year or two for a decision. So in this case, if I choose to apply for Chilean citizenship, how would the process be and how long until I'm qualified to apply, still 5 years? Does having a Chilean son play any role while I'm not married to his mother? I've read in this thread about having ties with Chile and how it helps when applying for citizenship, I believe my son and my business are enough ties already but I would like to have more accurate info as it concerns my case.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am

it us 5 years, including temp residency time.

having a child really has no relevance.

the ties to the country are to demonstrate you are physically in the country substantially. too many people were passport shopping, and believed they could just get residency, never live in chile, and still apply for citizen.ship

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Bastian

Post by Bastian » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am

the ties to the country are to demonstrate you are physically in the country substantially. too many people were passport shopping, and believed they could just get residency, never live in chile, and still apply for citizen.ship
Ok but if I was married to his mother, would that have had relevance? I mean how long would it take for extranjeros that are married to Chileans to qualify for citizenship. I read somewhere that spouses to Chileans or at least 2nd degree family members of a Chilean can qualify to apply after 3 years including temp residency time. If that's correct, I was thinking being a father of a Chilean makes me a 1st degree family member?
Thing is I own my business in Chile and already knew it should be 5 years before I can qualify for citizenship, but after I read that stuff about being a 2nd degree family member to a Chilean makes one eligible to apply after 3 years, it wasn't clear at all if it applied to me or not.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Never heard this degree family thing and less time, source? or as many Chilean sites and social media say "fuente?" (y no fuente de soda o Fuente Alemana :P ).
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Bastian wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 am
admin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am

Ok but if I was married to his mother, would that have had relevance? I mean how long would it take for extranjeros that are married to Chileans to qualify for citizenship. I read somewhere that spouses to Chileans or at least 2nd degree family members of a Chilean can qualify to apply after 3 years including temp residency time. If that's correct, I was thinking being a father of a Chilean makes me a 1st degree family member?
Thing is I own my business in Chile and already knew it should be 5 years before I can qualify for citizenship, but after I read that stuff about being a 2nd degree family member to a Chilean makes one eligible to apply after 3 years, it wasn't clear at all if it applied to me or not.
absultly false.

there are a lot of scam sites on the internet blowing smoke up people's rears about citizenship.

It is hard coded in the constution. 5 years.