Please help - from South Africa

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

AHusband

Re: Please help - from South Africa

Post by AHusband » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:50 pm

South Africans do not need a tourist visa.

McDell

Post by McDell » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:59 am

In South Africa, location is a non factor as there are as many violent encounters in the high end suburbs as much as there are violent encounters in the shanty townships. The key for all people, regardless of where you are in the world, is to be vigilant of your surroundings and never take your security for granted. I personally am not in favour of guns, statistics show that most people are killed by the guns that they own (42:1) but hey everyone has a right to their own opinion. I am not discounting Tombi's account of life in South Africa in any way I am just saying that it is one persons view and hopefully anyone reading this forum would consider that there are more parts to a puzzle than that.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:42 am

I only visited SA for a couple of months, but my observation was that (most of) plettenberg bay and chatsworth were much safer than even the nice high end areas of sandton or rosebank. I think that location matters, don't go to joburg.

Divecat1

Post by Divecat1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:38 pm

will any south africans please contact me on <EDITED, use PM> please i am now in peru making my way to chile in jan next year !
thanks guys .
regards john

Dayni

Post by Dayni » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:38 am

Hi all. I'm new here living in CTown at present and planning to move to Chile 🇨🇱 mid 2020 I'm a carpenter boatbuilder surfer 54 yr old single male . Planning to move to Concepcion area. Waves there and just looks good Thanks in advance for any reply regards Brett

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:49 am

Carpenter/boatbuilder, also explore Valdivia

WG82

Post by WG82 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:06 am

Late to the forum. How did everyone get on?
South African currently living in Scotland, but looks like Chile next year - my Chilean wife got a scholarship from there, and now it seems they want her to return to 'pay it back'. A bit stressed as we're not spring chickens and have two young kids, but bracing myself for the adventure I guess. Probably be Santiago although the 'payback' would be shorter if we lived 'en region' i.e. outside Santiago. Have visited the country a few times but don't know exactly what to expect. Cost of living something like SA with private schools, medical insurance etc., stratified class society like South Africa with inequality etc. But hey the wine helps right? I do speak Spanish fairly well but wouldn't say I'm fluent. I know there's a SA restaurant called Casa Botha north of Santiago, never been but keen. Is there a South African network in the country? Cheers...
PS Dayni Pichilemu is the place to go for surfing...but generally should be north of about La Serena otherwise the water's cold (though if you're Capetonian it probably doesn't matter too much).