Rabies post exposure RIG vaccine availability?

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

mkomko

Rabies post exposure RIG vaccine availability?

Post by mkomko » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi, I'm here because my daughter will spend next semester (January - April) in Patagonia with Round River on a conservation semester abroad. She is very happy to have the chance to do this, and I'm so happy for her and that she chose this program. I got to visit Chile years ago and it was beautiful and the people were so wonderful. So, thanks for this forum where I can keep up with Chile and feel more in touch. (I'm glad I found it!).

I'm sorry if this seems like a selfish question at this time, but I was hoping to get some inside advice on the availability of the Rabies post-exposure immunoglobulin vaccine in Chile. I understand the risk is very low, especially in Patagonia. But there are bats and she will be living in nature, backpacking the entire time. Round River say the vaccine is not required by them..it is up to us to decide.

If she does not get the pre-exposure vaccine here, and actually does get bitten while in the National Park, what are the odds she could find the post-exposure immunoglobulin vaccine at the closest hospital (Cochrane is base camp) or in Santiago? It is important to get it within 24 hours of a bite. I know this because I had to get it once! It's a very low chance of getting rabies..but if you do, you die. No in-between. The vaccine is VERY expensive and the logistics are tough for her because of the timing. (Of course...the $ wouldn't stop me if I thought it was risky, or if I knew it was impossible to get it in time in Chile from her location.)

Thanks everyone!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Rabies post exposure RIG vaccine availability?

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 pm

every small hospital in the Patagonia has it. lots of people working around a lot of animals.

can not however recall ever meeting anyone that needed one, but read about it once in a while in the paper.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mkomko

Post by mkomko » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 am

Thank you! I feel better.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:32 pm

She's more likely to be bitten by a street dog, as I was in Valparaiso. The chile gov. is right on top of vacinations - so no worries - just a few weeks of discomfort.

passport

Post by passport » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 pm

If she is in a national park there won't be many street dogs around. Also, safer than hiking in the frontier reserves where subsistence farmers have dogs that might well not be vaccinated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am

yea, the rabies vaccination program in chile has been substantial, even reaching out to a lot of ver, very rural areas. most domestic animals I would not worry about.

a dog or cat acting strange on a rural farm, tends to get put down pretty quickly. no one wants to risk their other animals.

the only ones I can think of that I might be careful is with the foxs in chile. they tend to be a bit overly friendly. they are very curious, and not afraid of people. first time one approached me, it kind of freaked me out. he was like within 4 or 5 feet in front of me, and I'm thinking, 'is he going to stop'. he just checked to see if i had any food to share, decided i did not, and trotted away.

I have seen them hanging around tourist location on the sides of roads (with a photo for food sign), there is one that wonders around the parking lot at the puerto montt airport, and I seen one at the puyehue ski resort that they play ball with. They are harmless. a quick gesture, or snap of the fingers, would probably be sufficient warning to send them on their way if they get uncomfortably close.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am

here photos of my close encounter with a fox in southern chile.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11383

since then i have had many more closer ones.