South Africans

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Daleen

South Africans

Post by Daleen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:44 am

My family and I are planning to relocate permanently to Chile. Can anyone please help us with the job finding and workvisa processes. Will be great to get in touch with fellow south Africans. My husband is in the art and media industry and has worked for large agencies in South Africa. He is also a professional and advertising photographer.

Donnybrook

Re: South Africans

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:17 am

You don't say if you have been in Chile previously so just a couple of things to consider re working. There will be very few jobs where the CV matters if you do not speak at least passable Spanish. Salaries are probably much lower than you expect.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm

if you don't mind my asking...why are you looking to leave south africa? Is it getting crazy there? I've heard awful reports of genocide and violence.

Also do you have savings you can live on for awhile? Is your husband able to work remotely for a south african company from here? Or if you have citizenship from a place like the US, Canada, Europe, or Australia can he work remotely from a company there while living here?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:09 pm

mem wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm
Is it getting crazy there?
Although this question was not asked to me, I have a friend who just came back from working on South Africa for two years and I was discussing the matter with her this weekend. The political scene is a mess and nobody feels safe; violence is escalating quickly.
"Defying accusations of cronyism, nepotism and facilitating state capture, South Africa’s president, Jacob Zuma, recently survived his eighth parliamentary vote of no confidence – and immediately afterwards, the rand took a further dive, dropping to a one-month low. Clearly the country’s troubled leadership and struggling economy are as entwined as ever.

Zuma’s African National Congress (ANC) continues to pay lip service to radical economic transformation, but little has been done to bolster the economy or equitably distribute national resources, radically or otherwise. Instead, under Zuma’s leadership, the public sector wage bill has skyrocketed, the economy is stagnant, and unemployment has risen to 28%.

All the while, state institutions are being repurposed to consolidate power for Zuma and his ANC party loyalists. Many in South Africa now see the ANC leadership as part of a corrupt power elite, and are losing confidence in the structures of government.
Source: https://theconversation.com/what-the-vi ... rica-83072