Chile to retire ?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
trno

Chile to retire ?

Post by trno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Hello everbody.

After reading this forum today for good half of day i desided i'll make a post and let's see what you guys/girl throw at me and what to expect. My english is not my native talk, so everbody knows before abusing me due to my english.

I noticed extremly a lot of americans here on the forums. I understand that your nation (Usa) is extremly in bad shape. But your not alone here. My country is almost in same position and it's puting every few weeks draconian laws here in Europe. Latest such 2 law event's: Police can come on your door step and check if you have valid licence for tractor and if you go 20/30km to fast, 3000$ cash fine and licence permanently removed. Laws are geting more and more nazi like, it's like living in a prison actualy. Salary ? misery... misery, 400/500$ / month.

We have been discussing where in the world we coud go and retire.

We aren't looking for extremly expensive and ower rated real estate in town. Quite the opositive! Nice rural place with lakes or river and far away from civilization as posible. No one to bother, no one to argue. Even if that woud be like 50/70km away from nearest town. We are used to such place, since we are already living on a small farm in vilage. It's nothing special. We are humble, dont spend like nothing on food and get by per month.

Particular region i was looking more to south of Chile.

What woud such land cost ? As for building stuff, i know how to build wooden or brick houses, etc.. So it's not really big issue from my side.

Other questions that i coudn't find answers on the forums or i miss readed.

- If land owner does actualy shoot you, what happens to him ? Does he get in jail or ? Or he kills you and no one knows and says nothing ?
- Hows with the posesion of weapons (i so you need a permit) ?
- Car licence and what are other transports are avaible in Chile ?
- Is hunting allowed and what else is allowed in regards to hunting ?
- Hows general freedom of people there and are there a lot of laws which are kiling/choke you ?

After writing all this up, is Chile for us ?

Gloria

Re: Chile to retire ?

Post by Gloria » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:40 pm

trno wrote: We have been discussing where in the world we coud go and retire.

We aren't looking for extremly expensive and ower rated real estate in town. Quite the opositive! Nice rural place with lakes or river and far away from civilization as posible. No one to bother, no one to argue. Even if that woud be like 50/70km away from nearest town. We are used to such place, since we are already living on a small farm in vilage. It's nothing special. We are humble, dont spend like nothing on food and get by per month.

Particular region i was looking more to south of Chile.

What woud such land cost ? As for building stuff, i know how to build wooden or brick houses, etc.. So it's not really big issue from my side.
Have ever been to Chile? If you are dead serious about emigrating, come to Valdivia. Here's where you want to be.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm

I like your post!!!, i think chile is for you, personally

If someone is breaking into your house, and you shoot them in your house, you are fine and will not go to jail, if you shoot them in the yard(outside)... then its questionable.... (of course this is based in theory, and i wouldnt like to try it in practice.... chile isnt htat bad if your getting robbed, yes its a bad experiance, but they are less lilky to harm you, you usually give htem the stuff and they will go away).

There is lots of talk on guns here, to have one you pretty much need to be a permanent residence.....if its for protection its rather easy you can search the forum for more answers

By other transport, what do you mean?........ Bus, yes, Car, Yes, Bike, Yes, Planes, Yes.... Horse and Cart..... YES!

The laws here seem to choke the police more than they choke the people......... chileans are very very very free (even if they dont see it them selfs)

trno

Post by trno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Gloria wrote:
Have ever been to Chile? If you are dead serious about emigrating, come to Valdivia. Here's where you want to be.
Never, but im hoping you guys will share some insight :). But im dead serius on moving out of EU and my country, it's geting to extreme.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm

trno wrote:
Gloria wrote:
Never, but im hoping you guys will share some insight :). But im dead serius on moving out of EU and my country, it's geting to extreme.
That's all the insight you'll get from me, the rest is up to you.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:46 pm

trno wrote:Hello everbody.

After reading this forum today for good half of day i desided i'll make a post and let's see what you guys/girl throw at me and what to expect. My english is not my native talk, so everbody knows before abusing me due to my english.

I noticed extremly a lot of americans here on the forums. I understand that your nation (Usa) is extremly in bad shape. But your not alone here. My country is almost in same position and it's puting every few weeks draconian laws here in Europe. Latest such 2 law event's: Police can come on your door step and check if you have valid licence for tractor and if you go 20/30km to fast,
Don't know where you are based but speed limits are in force everywhere in Europe.

Certainly the EU bureaucratic machine churns out endless streams of rules and regulations, but how rigidly they are enforced depends on where you live.

In France, for example, they simply ignore those that annoy them.

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Hello, Welcome to the forum.

Are you married and have a family? Single? Much easier to do if you're single. Do you have money to come to Chile for awhile to see what it's like first? You may not like it. Or would you pack-up and go? Do you have money in the bank? Do you speak Spanish? (not that it would help). :D

The south seems to be the place everyone on the other end of a computer thinks is some kind of paradise to go and get away from the problems where they live. You would just be exchanging one set of problems for another different set. Which is fine, if you're ready for it. I personally have zero desire to ever live in Patagonia. Nice place to visit.....

The north of Chile is still a much cheaper place to live, Arica for instance. Or maybe even Peru. Tacna is even less expensive according to Tom Brad.

cheers.
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:04 pm

patagoniax wrote:
trno wrote:
trno wrote: - Is hunting allowed and what else is allowed in regards to hunting ?
You like hunting rabbits? Hares, actually. Maybe some birds? Dangerous wild pigs in some places. There isn't much to hunt for here. Except for a decent cup of coffee and a competent carpenter.
And you will hunt for both of them for a loooooooooooooooong time before you find them if you ever will.

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Chuck J 3.0 wrote:Hello, Welcome to the forum.

Are you married and have a family? Single?
Much easier to do if you're single.
Do you have money to come to Chile for awhile to see what it's like first? You may not like it.
Or would you pack-up and go? Do you have money in the bank?
Do you speak Spanish? (not that it would help). :D
Look at the questions by Chuck J 3.0. , very good ones and please answer every one so people will be able to help you.

Don't think that Chile is an easy country to live in after leaving Europe.
I would also come here for at least 6 month before making the big move.
Where are you from (what country)?

Groschi

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Lots of things to consider, especially from the medical point of view if you are looking to retire to Chile.

As far as I am aware the contributions I made over the last fifty years into the UK National Health scheme isn't transferable so in the event of medical bills you pay them, although no doubt you can buy insurance to cover this. But then, what have you been paying into over the last number of years in your country.

If you leave the UK and are away for more than six months all your previous contributions to whatever scheme lapse and if you return home for treatment you are a private patient and have to pay.

I considered the move along with my wife who is a Chilena who was half thinking about going back home after being in the UK for more than forty years. She is now a diabetic and is on seven different types of medication. Because she is over sixty all medication is free. I have one small tablet a day which is also 'free' as my National Health contributions ceased when I retired last September and neither of us have to pay for any treatment or medication. In Chile you will pay (I expect)(Somebody correct me if that is wrong)

Big thing to think about as you get older, and, to me, more important than whether you will enjoy it or not.

Have you thought about that ?

Programmes on British tv about those who move to Spain for the sun and relaxed life style show a high rate of alcoholism and loneliness especially when one partner dies.There was one case of the man who sold up, moved to Spain alone and shortly after was diagnosed with Alzheimers. No friends, no family, he was stuck, and Chile is a long way from wherever you are.

Sorry to be morose but these are things to think about as well as the more positive things.

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 pm

patagoniax wrote:
Chuck J 3.0 wrote: Do you speak Spanish? (not that it would help).
In most of this country, if you don't speak Spanish, consider yourself crippled. Leaning on crutches all the time. Having to find somebody else to do things you should be doing. Never knowing what is going on. You can "get by" in the sheltered locations but it's a superficial life, like that of the street dog whose only reason for its soon to be shortened existence is to shit on my driveway.

That was a snide comment on my part regarding Chilean Spanish. :mrgreen: But, what you say.... so true. I don't mean to get all psychological but a lot of phenomena comes from that lack of speaking the local language and lack of interaction. I saw it in other expat's in their attitudes towards the locals. They would get morose or angry and make disparaging comments, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I saw it in myself as well to a certain extent. My solution was to just get out there and stumble through with my horrible Spanish and us it as much as I could. It was tough. But it snapped me right out of any "expat disease." Luckily Chileans are pretty forgiving in this regard, I don't recall ever getting hammered for speaking my bad Spanish. Now, what they thought of me, that's a different story, (dumb gringo). But I just didn't care. I knew if I continued to attempt to speak their language.... this is getting too long..... anyway, things go better, you feel better, you have a better quality of life if you speak the language or attempt to. A seemingly obvious statement but very important.
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Trno,
I loved your post and your questions! Here I am worrying about my sweet dogs getting shot -- didn't know the shooters could be after bigger game.
I like your English. People who speak very correctly usually correct all the personality out of what they write.
I want to move to Chile and will probably build a little, simple house, or fix up an existing one. Your skills might be marketable to folks like me.
Keep posting so I know how your moving plans are working out.
Carolyn