Chile Pipe thread standards

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Catchi

Re: Chile Pipe thread standards

Post by Catchi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 am

Actually... one of my FAVORITE things about Punta Arenas (PA) is the water. Tastes better straight from the tap than anything I have ever had in the USA. Santiago on the other hand.. yuck !!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Shower filter

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm

jehturner wrote:I don't have time to read the thread properly right now, but Chile uses the BSP (British) pipe thread standard in imperial sizes for plumbing fittings.

In practice the 1/2" and 3/4" British BSP and American NPT fittings are compatible, with a decent amount of teflon to ensure they seal well. They're not identical in theory, but have the same threads per inch and will mate securely. For other sizes you are out of luck and need to use bushings or something to convert to one of these sizes in order to mate the 2 systems.
OK, so I want to buy a shower water filter that is supposedly made for the 1/2 inch US standard. From the above, it appears to have a good chance of fitting the Chile/British standard. Anyone connect a US made shower filter cartridge assembly in Chile who can confirm?
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Why thanks for the response rattyboy!
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm

CONFIRMED, the shower fitting is the same as the US standard ...
Que será, será.

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 pm

I don't know anything about plumbing but I know I'm fed up with the crap or overpriced faucets sold in Chile, so I'm thinking of getting one from Amazon. There's a couple touch models with pull down sprayers that look to be good bang for the buck. They come with 3/8 compression fittings, presumably of the NPT type since we're talking about Amazon.com. I'm thus thinking of buying two 3/8" Male Pipe x 1/2" Female Pipe adapters (NPT) and two 1/2" NPT Male Thread x 1/2" G Male Thread Brass Hex Nipple Fitting Connector Pipe Adapter (G Thread = BSP used in Chile as far as I understand it) to be connected to Chilean water lines. Will that work with a reasonably good chance to not leaked (assisted with Teflon tape for good measure)?

So in summary we'd have: made-in-China US faucet 3/8 compression female fitting -> 3/8 male to 1/2 female NPT -> 1/2 male MPT to 1/2 male BSP -> Chilean water line.

- amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Fitting-Adapter-Female/dp/B000BOAERY
- amazon.com/Joywayus-Thread-Fitting-Connector-Adapter/dp/B07SBXX34C

Incidentally I'd like to claim the new record for necro posting on this board!