Chile Pipe thread standards

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Chile Pipe thread standards

Post by admin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Got a question. What is the Chilean pipe thread standard as compared to the American used NTP?

I know pipe sizes come in inches here as in 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch pipes. someone had mentioned sometime ago that the threading standard was different. They do have limited fittings in Chile refered to as "american", but have never been able to get any clarification on exactly what that means.

Reason I asked is I am looking to buy certain plumbing parts in the states. Most immediately of concern is residential fire sprinkler heads with 1/2 or 3/4 inch NTP threading. Now, I could buy a cpvc connector or whatever and ship them also, but being Chile and all, I always want to have a plan B if something does not fit at the last moment. One of those, don't want to be short a 2 dollar part for the system and prefer to have more options, rather than having to wait to ship something again.

I am sort of inclined to buy just one, take it to sodimac, and see what fits with it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Re: Chile Pipe thread standards

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm

In BC all sprinkler systems are iron and the pieces are cut then threaded on site, a die in the right size and proper OD iron pipe would solve the problem. When you bring in the sprinkler heads and t junctions, bring in the die, but you would have to use it or it may never get done, well it would never get done without indoor showers outside the bathrooms ;)
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm

while we are on the subject of plumbing, has anyone run up against the new enforcement (believe there has always been a requirement, just not enforced) of having a chlorination systems for rural well systems?

The reason I ask is I had a couple neighbors that were building houses down the road from me mention that they could not get building permits because they are now enforcing the requirements they submit as part of their water system plans a chlorination system (including tank). Of course they went and built anyway, but was curious as what they the building departments are accepting.

Seems it does not matter if the water coming out of the tap is completely clean (tested it myself), someone in Santiago decided that rural well water in the south should be as contaminated with chemicals as the tap water all the politicians have to drink. A couple people said they are not accepting any alternatives to the use of chlorine systems.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 pm

admin wrote:while we are on the subject of plumbing, has anyone run up against the new enforcement (believe there has always been a requirement, just not enforced) of having a chlorination systems for rural well systems?

The reason I ask is I had a couple neighbors that were building houses down the road from me mention that they could not get building permits because they are now enforcing the requirements they submit as part of their water system plans a chlorination system (including tank). Of course they went and built anyway, but was curious as what they the building departments are accepting.

Seems it does not matter if the water coming out of the tap is completely clean (tested it myself), someone in Santiago decided that rural well water in the south should be as contaminated with chemicals as the tap water all the politicians have to drink. A couple people said they are not accepting any alternatives to the use of chlorine systems.

thats stupid...............................................

If you keep your well tested, and maybe use a UV filter that should be ample, i would install for the permit but never refill the chlorine!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 pm

yea, I have the tank for backup / water pressure that I am installing anyway. I really have no intentions of dosing my drinking water with any more chemicals than needed, and there are plenty of less chemical dependent ways of dealing with cleaning water (if it is needed). I am more interested in just how complex a show I need to put on to make them go away. So far I have heard they are requiring that the water be dosed at least 20 mins before consumption in a tank. Whatever the hell that means.

I am going to go talk to the city about what they need and design around it. I am going to try the cheap and obvious response first to see if that will satisfy them. That is, we buy bottled water for drinking.

I know a hotel that used a glacial fed spring in the mountains as a water source. They were required to have a chlorination system. They just bought bottle of chlorine and kept it next to the pump for when the health inspector visited.

It is only recently that we started encountering enforcement for rural wells and communities with common pumps.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

admin wrote:while we are on the subject of plumbing, has anyone run up against the new enforcement (believe there has always been a requirement, just not enforced) of having a chlorination systems for rural well systems?

I can see them wanting a blanket provision, I have seen 8 foot deep wells beside heavily used cow pastures, can you say e-coli, because you can hit the water table at 8 feet doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to use the water for household use. But I would have no problem as long as it was a deep well and away from any possible organic contamination. Heavy metals I would test for and not use the water if unacceptable, farm runoff is another thing entirely. I think they accept ozonation , I know someone on Chiloe who put it in and it passed, but thats Chiloe.
It's all about the wine.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:53 pm

You should always chlorinate water, even water that is generated by evaporation should be chlorinated, to protect against any germs and disease in tanks, piping and even the taps themselves. Often you'll find the water is clean and just pics up some discoloration in old piping, discloration does not mean the water is harmful. UV Filtering is good for killing bugs in large flows of water, we have an industrial sized uv unit on board the vessel, but they can be expensive and are not required in the same way as chlorination, they are really an additional feature from what i've seen.

If yur building or boring a well, you should have holding tanks, that way if your well dries up unexpectidley (always possible, amounts of water from bore holes are only predictions, similar to oil wells) you will have a supply left in the tank, you can then chlorinate what water you will use for consumption, but if it is for only showering and toilets i'd be surprised the legislation says you have to chlorinate. Personaly I would consume bottle water and only use your well for cleaning teeth, showering, toilets, swimming pool, anything thats not going to upset your stomach!

Referance to the pipe threads, go to a descent plumbers, they should be able to tell you very quick, and if its unusual hopefully they will have a thread guage and be able to measure it. If its small copper piping not a problem, steel or iron piping youll want to be using pipe die and so require a plumber or friend with the right dies, not worth buying dies for a one off job.

Catchi

Post by Catchi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:31 am

I mentioned once or twice that I used to work on a ship that went in and out of Punta Arenas (PA) harbor. They used to make us sort our trash while at sea, then we brought it back to port where the nice Chilean folks took it and dumped in back in one receptacle and threw it in an uncovered land fill...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 am

The water is from a community deep well, in an area with few chances for contamination. I am not worried about the real quality of the water at this time. I am trying gauge options for treating bureaucratic contamination of my water and wallet. The community and the well predate the new health laws for community wells.

Yea, not against the water treatment requirement in most cases in chile, this is just not one of them.

The hand dug scratches in the dirt are common in chile, and even more common are poorly installed septic systems up hill from them. Seen a guy at the construction store with a septic tank so small that it fit easily in his tiny pickup truck (like a 50 gallon tank, smallest septic tank I have ever seen), and thought to myself 'bet he has 10 people living in his house, and is going to build some tourist cabins next door to share that tank'.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Catchi wrote:I mentioned once or twice that I used to work on a ship that went in and out of Punta Arenas (PA) harbor. They used to make us sort our trash while at sea, then we brought it back to port where the nice Chilean folks took it and dumped in back in one receptacle and threw it in an uncovered land fill...
MARPOL regulations and general shipping company policies dictate you have to seperate your garbage, it can be helpful, glass and metals can be dumped at sea, also food. Things like copper and aluminium can be sold for a good amount in Chile. But what you saying about port authorities dumping all your bins into one truck then a landfil is generally an international thing I find, the regulations stop when the garbage leaves the ship. :P

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/drawings/ ... _chart.jpg

Admin, if you ever have fear of germs in your pipeline or such, you can buy water test kits for a few dollars before going and super chlorinating your whole system too. :lol:

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:16 am

I don't have time to read the thread properly right now, but Chile uses the BSP (British) pipe thread standard in imperial sizes for plumbing fittings.

In practice the 1/2" and 3/4" British BSP and American NPT fittings are compatible, with a decent amount of teflon to ensure they seal well. They're not identical in theory, but have the same threads per inch and will mate securely. For other sizes you are out of luck and need to use bushings or something to convert to one of these sizes in order to mate the 2 systems.

I believe you can also solder a US NPT fitting directly to a Chilean copper tube, as the sizes are the same (have done this for a 3/4" fitting).

My source of information is basically building a sprinkler system with some American parts, since they don't use silly gringo stuff like backflow preventers here.

James.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 pm

admin wrote:Most immediately of concern is residential fire sprinkler heads with 1/2 or 3/4 inch NTP threading. Now, I could buy a cpvc connector or whatever and ship them also, but being Chile and all, I always want to have a plan B if something does not fit at the last moment.
Nah, that should work directly with a Chilean fitting. You can also just buy a 50 peso PVC terminal in Sodimac and try it out.
admin wrote:I am sort of inclined to buy just one, take it to sodimac, and see what fits with it.
Yeah, done that. Once I tried my threaded T with all the garden taps on the shelf until I found one that would fit tightly with just the right rotation. How do plumbers get taps fitted securely always pointing downwards anyway?? Apparently my neighbours don't know either as theirs points sideways!

If you do need US fittings, you can get them fairly easily from http://plumbingstore.com if you have a US address (at least a couple of years ago when I used them). They are overpriced but convenient if your options are limited.

James.