Chile or Argentina?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile or Argentina?

Post by admin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:21 am

I have a property near inter lagos / Puyehue resort just east of Osorno, that puts me like 20 mins from the boarder so I can beat the morning traffic if I want to go over to Argentina for the day. Barriloche is just a couple hours beyond that. Also happens to be the land route around to the Chilean Patagonia. The drive to the boarder on both sides is all national park with great big trees.

You got to like rain however in the South, which I do.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dant

Post by dant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

I think if you want lush green forests and mountains you have to accept a bit of rain. Like I said two metres or so, but not four or five. When I looked at Bariloche it was something like 0.5metres of rain a year, which gave me the impression that the Argentinian side gets quite a bit less. Its a big balancing act really, with lots of trade-offs. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of places between Lago Ranco and Colico lake nearish to the border that have what I'm looking for with reasonable levels of rain. Even if it was crazy rain for a few months and then decentish weather - its just light rain year round that gets to you. One winter in Scotland I swear it rained every day bar about two days. After a while it starts getting depressing.

I'm also wondering whether there is much differences between how each country treats environmental and conservation issues. I know this is up and down over time depending on which government is in power, however some countries do seem to have environmental issues a bit more ingrained into their culture such as Scandinavia. Looking from the outside I doubt either country takes it that seriously. I'm not saying Chile or Argentina is poor or anything but countries that are somewhat less developed seem to treat such issues very much as a side issue, with economic growth over-riding pretty much everything. This is truth everywhere just to different degrees.

RWS

Post by RWS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 pm

You'd encounter environmentalist rhetoric in Argentina comparable to what you'd hear in North America or northwestern Europe; the reification, however, is lacking. Words for environmental preservation are fewer in Chile and emotions, thinner, but generally -- generally -- what is promised is actually delivered, if often quite slowly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Chile's environmentalism is more a practical issue. There is only 15 million people, about 10 million are in the central region. Chile's population just has an overall smaller environmental foot print, and will for many years to come relative to the super exploding populations of the neighbors.

Also, Argentina right now is the midst of one of the worst droughts in years. It is only going to get worse with global climate change trends. I bet much of the pampas become pure dessert in the next 10 to 20 years, and a lot of the agricultural area with it.

Also, rain fall in southern Chile needs to be looked at carefully. Valley to valley down here you get wild differences in rain fall. Many of the rain fall maps you see also are not very accurate because of the geography.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dant

Post by dant » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 am

When will the world learn that human populations and resource usage cant both go up at the same time, especially with climate change mixed in. Its a great receipe for disaster.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:59 pm

dant wrote:... areas around the border are probably best as you can have the best of both worlds. This also supports my other wants in that I would like to be near quite high mountains and a bit more out in the wilderness...
Are foreigners in Chile allowed to own land close to the border with Argentina? If so, how close? Are there any official limits? Do foreigners have the same rights as locals when buying land close to the border?

2nd question:

Does the government registry of land allow public access to some of their records, possibly over the Internet? Specifically, for any place in Chile, I would be interested to see if the land is private or not. Is there an online map or plan of the entire country, or maybe by region, where any private land would be marked as such, and government property as such?

Mondadiente

Post by Mondadiente » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Regarding the climate,for me, it's not only rain that is important, but also the number of hours of sunshine (or cloud cover). If someone knows where to find such data, that would be nice.

I managed to find some data for rainfall and the average number of rainy days per month.

month: March

Bariloche 29.2 mm 6 days
Santiago 3.2 mm 2 days
Puerto Montt 98.9 mm 15 days
Mendoza 34.7 mm 5 days
Punta Arenas 29.6 mm 15 days
Buenos Aires 153.9 mm 9 days

I hope this is useful for someone.

pohler

Post by pohler » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 am

Mondadiente wrote:Regarding the climate,for me, it's not only rain that is important, but also the number of hours of sunshine (or cloud cover). If someone knows where to find such data, that would be nice...
You might want to look at Solar Energy maps from either an entity in Chile (govt or private) or from a company like 3Tier.
-Clint

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am

One can get a fair idea of what life is like in Chile by reading this forum because of personal experience on the part of its members, but I haven’t seen anybody who can paint a reliable picture of life in Argentina.

This is the answer, in a nutshell, to the topic question: To live in Chile, it all depends on what’s going on inside Chile; to live in Argentina, it all depends on what’s going on inside you.

-----------------------------
Living well is all that matters.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:58 am

When the citizens of Argentina get tired of their nutzo government and outrageous taxes, or just want to vacation,they head across the river into Uruguay. Uruguay is also where they hide their money from the government of Argentina.

To me, the choice isn't Chile or Argentina, it's Chile or Uruguay.

Uruguay has fabulous beaches (every one of them a public beach), welcoming immigration laws, excellent cheap health care, stable government, low crime, and relatively inexpensive real estate. Chile has beautiful mountains, more diversity of climate, good stability, but the real estate seems awfully expensive compared to the income of the locals.

Chile seems to handle foreign trade a lot better, which is an advantage.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:05 am

Wow, looks like you've got it covered.
I'll visit you (and buy you a beer) while doing my 90 day visa run.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

carica

Post by carica » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:00 am

After four years in Chile and now rounding into my 2nd semester in Argentina (doing a 2 year master's program) I can fully attest to the .. economic instability of Argentina as compared to Chile. I have no comment about party politics (because it doesn't seem to matter who's in office, craziness happens here) but during the 5 months that I've been in Argentina, they've frozen pensions for the elderly, messed around with farmers and had major strikes. The highway between my city and BsAs regularly gets cut off by protesters, but most recently got cut off when Estudiantes de La Plata won the Copa Libertadores.. the sports scene is great here. They've also removed gov't subsidies of utilities bills (which are about 45% federal tax as is) only to change their mind and reinstate the subsidies.

So people have been waiting around for the past week wondering if they need to pay the gas and electricity bills or not.. and if they do will they ever get a refund? And if they don't will they be fined?

These are every day events here. True, it's cheaper, the beef is riquísimo, alfajores are too, people are friendly and attractive (but in the Buenos Aires region some think they are god's gift..) Rent is high and you have to have a local property owner guarantee your contract, .. the bottom line is that Argentina has a ton of potential, but things are twisted, messed up, and backwards, so that most Argentinians expect things to mess up and that's exactly what happens. Chile offers stability. Punto.