Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:08 pm

gregf wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
I am also enjoying this and following the thread, just not posting as I have nothing to add or to ask :) appreciate you sharing this.
Zenth wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:34 pm
Ditto!
Thank you both!

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:08 pm
Yeah anyone that tries to build in Chile deserves respect. Relying on anyone in Chile is a gamble, sometimes you get lucky, more often than not you end up going grey and developing an ulcer. Looking good, very interesting to follow your progress .
Oh, I have already met a lot of contractors that will schedule an appointment to come and will never show up. What is worse, often they will lie and say they already on the way. In the beginning, I was too naive and would show up at the time they said they will come. Later I just assume that maybe... and I plan accordingly. If you don't expect much its easier to handle it emotionally.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:42 pm
I am following your posts also. Looking forward to seeing the completed houses. Not the easiest time of the year to get professionals to commit to appointments, January and February are holiday months.
Completed houses... that will be delayed somewhat. I pulled out of that first project and except finishing backfill and see the water well being done will not be working there anymore. On Monday starting to build another house. That is assuming that the excavation guy will keep his word and will be there at 8 am. :). If not, I have some other work to do at the entry into the subdivision.

This house that I am starting right now is a simple house by the entry and I am building it for myself to move in. Eventually, it will be used as a manager's house. Pretty much will go through the same process as on the previous project. So, please be patient, will try to catch up fast to the stage after the frame.

Btw, I just had an idea. I could show you how that first project had to look like. I should have a video file somewhere.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:30 pm

I was not able to upload the video here for some reason. Good, that my kids know how to post stuff on Youtube. It is up now for you to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjIUlZUIXE

Our architectural team prepared this for our client as a complimentary service when we finalized the design of the plans.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm

KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:08 pm
Yeah anyone that tries to build in Chile deserves respect. Relying on anyone in Chile is a gamble, sometimes you get lucky, more often than not you end up going grey and developing an ulcer. Looking good, very interesting to follow your progress .
Oh, I have already met a lot of contractors that will schedule an appointment to come and will never show up. What is worse, often they will lie and say they already on the way. In the beginning, I was too naive and would show up at the time they said they will come. Later I just assume that maybe... and I plan accordingly. If you don't expect much its easier to handle it emotionally.
Yes, that's the attitude, have low expectations in this country, then you wont be disappointed. You are so right , most gringos (including myself ) start off unprepared and naive and not prepared for the bullshit lies and excuses, that soon changes . The worst ones are the contractors who start off good, then turn into just another liar and fail to follow through on nearly everything they say. You soon learn to finely tune your bullshit radar here and unfortunately become quite cynical. Ymmv
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm
KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Yes, that's the attitude, have low expectations in this country, then you wont be disappointed. You are so right , most gringos (including myself ) start off unprepared and naive and not prepared for the bullshit lies and excuses, that soon changes . The worst ones are the contractors who start off good, then turn into just another liar and fail to follow through on nearly everything they say. You soon learn to finely tune your bullshit radar here and unfortunately become quite cynical. Ymmv
That would be the natural course of action - become cynical. But I do not want to go that route. I can find happiness in this. Let's look on the bright side. Several good points I could see clearly.

Local contractors are so not reliable, so I can provide good honest service and will never have to look for clients. They start work and as soon as they get paid they rarely finish it correctly. They use all kinds of gimmicks to ask for money in advance and when you paid, you lost the battle. But If I finish my projects as I said I will and will go the extra mile, my value in this country is even hard to describe. All I could see just an opportunity in this environment.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:18 am

KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm
KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Yes, that's the attitude, have low expectations in this country, then you wont be disappointed. You are so right , most gringos (including myself ) start off unprepared and naive and not prepared for the bullshit lies and excuses, that soon changes . The worst ones are the contractors who start off good, then turn into just another liar and fail to follow through on nearly everything they say. You soon learn to finely tune your bullshit radar here and unfortunately become quite cynical. Ymmv
That would be the natural course of action - become cynical. But I do not want to go that route. I can find happiness in this. Let's look on the bright side. Several good points I could see clearly.

Local contractors are so not reliable, so I can provide good honest service and will never have to look for clients. They start work and as soon as they get paid they rarely finish it correctly. They use all kinds of gimmicks to ask for money in advance and when you paid, you lost the battle. But If I finish my projects as I said I will and will go the extra mile, my value in this country is even hard to describe. All I could see just an opportunity in this environment.
Good luck to you, I really mean that , I hope you are successful. I wont say anything else because otherwise I just sound like another cynical expat (although the cynicism and weariness is not confined to expats, many Chileans I talk to are way more cynical than I am when it comes to dealing with maestros and contractors/"professionals")
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22030
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by admin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 am

KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm
KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm
Yes, that's the attitude, have low expectations in this country, then you wont be disappointed. You are so right , most gringos (including myself ) start off unprepared and naive and not prepared for the bullshit lies and excuses, that soon changes . The worst ones are the contractors who start off good, then turn into just another liar and fail to follow through on nearly everything they say. You soon learn to finely tune your bullshit radar here and unfortunately become quite cynical. Ymmv
That would be the natural course of action - become cynical. But I do not want to go that route. I can find happiness in this. Let's look on the bright side. Several good points I could see clearly.

Local contractors are so not reliable, so I can provide good honest service and will never have to look for clients. They start work and as soon as they get paid they rarely finish it correctly. They use all kinds of gimmicks to ask for money in advance and when you paid, you lost the battle. But If I finish my projects as I said I will and will go the extra mile, my value in this country is even hard to describe. All I could see just an opportunity in this environment.
I looked at it this way. If I try to do something myself, that I have never done before, I think to myself 'If I only screw this up half as bad as one of the maestros, I am way ahead'. :lol: Thus, I find myself totally willing to do a lot of things here, that back in the States, I would have never even bothered giving it a go.

Well, that, and the invention of YouTube helps. It makes me feel like I am cheating.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:41 am

41southchile wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:18 am

Good luck to you, I really mean that , I hope you are successful. I wont say anything else because otherwise I just sound like another cynical expat (although the cynicism and weariness is not confined to expats, many Chileans I talk to are way more cynical than I am when it comes to dealing with maestros and contractors/"professionals")
Thank you so much for the kind words.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 am

admin wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 am

I looked at it this way. If I try to do something myself, that I have never done before, I think to myself 'If I only screw this up half as bad as one of the maestros, I am way ahead'. :lol: Thus, I find myself totally willing to do a lot of things here, that back in the States, I would have never even bothered giving it a go.

Well, that, and the invention of YouTube helps. It makes me feel like I am cheating.
I guess I am not the only one cheating! Plugged in into Youtube university... Same approach with doing things myself. Things I don't know how to do I can't get wrong as bad as local maestro. I don't think all of them that bad but my chances with them to get a horrible outcome are much higher than to get a good job.

I did not work physically on the construction for about 15 years. Was managing projects as a GC dealing with responsible subcontractors. Now back in the game. Teaching my crew how to do it, hiring only those whos mind was not corrupted with local "experience".

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 am

KDnR wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 am
ctroxell wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 pm
That ground looks hard! Appreciate your posts.
Thanks, glad there are some people who follow this. It’s a bit too quiet here, seems like I’m talking to myself only. Appreciate that I have your response. Some critics were supposed to show up but there are busy doing something else. Boring...

The ground is hard. We had tranches dugout with excavator but still, in some places had to work with shovels. Plus had to backfill under the pipes to be ready for excavator. Into New Year went with a lots of blisters on my hands.
Well I'm sure we could find a forumite or two around here willing to criticize ;)

But it won't be me......just waiting to see those pics of the final product (no matter how many months from now it takes).

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:16 am

Miracles happen, the excavation guy was here at 7.50 am.
Attachments
4ADF7048-93FF-4561-A561-1013D30376EA.jpeg

Post Reply