Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Jamers41

Re: Building house in Chile "gringo" way

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 pm
I may not say much but I'm interested in reading about it, even if it's just for the entertainment value. The pictures make me curious about the location of where the house is being built.
This is in Colchagua valley O'Higgins region.
Awesome! I noticed your "location" under your profile but once I read that you were working on a house that's not actually yours I started to wonder. We had a mini vacation in Santa Cruz during a long winter weekend a couple years ago, it's a very nice (if pricey as a tourist) part of the country.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Awesome! I noticed your "location" under your profile but once I read that you were working on a house that's not actually yours I started to wonder. We had a mini vacation in Santa Cruz during a long winter weekend a couple years ago, it's a very nice (if pricey as a tourist) part of the country.
Yes, it is a nice part of the country. Currently, I live in Santa Cruz but the project is 40 min drive south. About 10 km SW of Lolol

KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:32 pm

House seemed like it has been completed a few days ago but there are still so many little things that need to be done.
Attachments
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:23 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:42 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Yes, it is a nice part of the country. Currently, I live in Santa Cruz but the project is 40 min drive south. About 10 km SW of Lolol
I love that part of the country, I first lived in San Fernando when I came in 95, it would be . Progress looking good, well done.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:32 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:23 pm
I love that part of the country, I first lived in San Fernando when I came in 95, it would be . Progress looking good, well done.
Wow, you have been here for a long time...

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:32 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:23 pm
Wow, you have been here for a long time...
Yeah not continuously though I have come and gone over the years, but was drawn back Permanently to Chile since 2012.
That area has changed a lot over the years, in those years Santa Cruz wasn't much at all, just an agricultural service town. The wine industry and Cardoen really changed it and made it to what it is today. I used to visit Peralillo, Pumanque and Lol lol quite a bit in those early days, and of course Pichilemu 😉 for a bit more excitement in the summer.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:09 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Yeah not continuously though I have come and gone over the years, but was drawn back Permanently to Chile since 2012.
That area has changed a lot over the years, in those years Santa Cruz wasn't much at all, just an agricultural service town. The wine industry and Cardoen really changed it and made it to what it is today. I used to visit Peralillo, Pumanque and Lol lol quite a bit in those early days, and of course Pichilemu 😉 for a bit more excitement in the summer.
I have been here just a bit more than 2 years. And even since I came to Santa Cruz, it changed. Imagine how much change you can see.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Now we are back to work on the main house. You may notice that we have a corner of the house insulated with spray foam. When we did spray the foundation of the second house, we sprayed this corner from outside to fill all cavities that would be hard to reach from inside. Most corners would have to be done this way prior to installing the MgO boards.
Attachments
IMG_2414.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Time to start putting up the covered porches
Attachments
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 pm

It was so hot on that day, 36 degrees I think. One of the guys got a heatstroke after we lifted some heavy boards on the roof. Work in that heat is not as easy as it seems.
Attachments
IMG_2431.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:50 pm

Now its time to finish things on the top
Attachments
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2444.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:59 pm

The dangerous part of the job, getting great room joists in place at 15 feet hight
Attachments
IMG_2454.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2451.jpg