Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Building house in Chile "gringo" way

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:28 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:21 pm
Does anyone even interested in all of my updates? It become a bit quiet... :).
I've been following them. I just haven't had anything to add to the conversation.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Same here. I'm interested, I just don't have any questions to ask right now.

Do you happen to have floorplans available to share with us?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

ctroxell

Post by ctroxell » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Enjoying your posts very much. Please continue.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 am

Thanks, guys, will keep you entertained.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am

Went through a more mainstream version of what you are doing now but at the coast. As a GC back in the US (1988-2008) I had a little experience with metal studs but nothing as advanced/involved as you are doing. There are plenty of "condominios" around the Algarrobo area that will permit the guest house big house model and "out of the ground" construction. As usual, my Chilean maestro experience was rapid and expensive but if you have a good sense of humor and a few spare bucks its liveable.
Something you might consider that I did was to bring a 4-5kw transformer and run Romex (there's a grey Chilean equivalent) into every room terminating with US outlets and wall plates. This allowed me to use US tools while the finish was going on and still continues to be very useful. I even built an insulated tool room that stays a few degrees warmer than the garage by utilizing the waste heat from the transformer. Cuts down on the rust at the coast.
Delighted to see you documenting your project for those who will never do anything but criticize but carry on please.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:01 pm

MikieO wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am
Went through a more mainstream version of what you are doing now but at the coast. As a GC back in the US (1988-2008) I had a little experience with metal studs but nothing as advanced/involved as you are doing. There are plenty of "condominios" around the Algarrobo area that will permit the guest house big house model and "out of the ground" construction. As usual, my Chilean maestro experience was rapid and expensive but if you have a good sense of humor and a few spare bucks its liveable.
Something you might consider that I did was to bring a 4-5kw transformer and run Romex (there's a grey Chilean equivalent) into every room terminating with US outlets and wall plates. This allowed me to use US tools while the finish was going on and still continues to be very useful. I even built an insulated tool room that stays a few degrees warmer than the garage by utilizing the waste heat from the transformer. Cuts down on the rust at the coast.
Delighted to see you documenting your project for those who will never do anything but criticize but carry on please.
I was not posting for a couple of weeks. Very busy schedule and also wanted to see what kind of interest is out there. Not many people are interested, maybe just few but it's ok. I am not promoting my work anyway, just showing what is possible in Chile. Tired of people who just complain about the construction here and do nothing. This country provides lots of opportunities and all of the complains are clues where to look for it.

Great idea about US plugs! I was not planning to do it in this house but for my house, I was planning to install that. Lots of tools that I have are from the States and I use US generator for that right now.

Regarding people criticizing... I'm looking forward to it. Some of the points may be legit concerns that at some point my clients will ask. Keeps me in check and ready. Criticism by itself does not bother me a bit. I am a goal-oriented person and I will use anything I can to help me reach my goals.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:08 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Do you happen to have floorplans available to share with us?
Of course, I have a set of plans but I think it would not be appropriate for me to share it here. It's not my house that I'm building and even if I would build my house, I don't think I would be up to sharing it here.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 pm

I may not say much but I'm interested in reading about it, even if it's just for the entertainment value. The pictures make me curious about the location of where the house is being built.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 pm
I may not say much but I'm interested in reading about it, even if it's just for the entertainment value. The pictures make me curious about the location of where the house is being built.
This is in Colchagua valley O'Higgins region.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 pm

It is a work-free day today, will try to catch up on the progress in pictures.
Attachments
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2403.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Installing columns, facia walls.
Attachments
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 pm
This is in Colchagua valley O'Higgins region.
Awesome! I noticed your "location" under your profile but once I read that you were working on a house that's not actually yours I started to wonder. We had a mini vacation in Santa Cruz during a long winter weekend a couple years ago, it's a very nice (if pricey as a tourist) part of the country.