Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 pm

While I was away from my job site, my guys did some progress in the last two days.
Attachments
4a5dff0e-088c-4956-a171-61bc742f332a.JPG
00d3a904-834c-4358-ade6-ab82b28b9535.JPG

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:41 am

admin wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:53 pm
yea, at 160,000 that sucker is not going anywhere. the rest of the house perhaps, but not the slab.

I have my own over built foundation story.

did a block stem wall, u.s. standards, with 5/8 rebar bond beams inside.

I somehow over ordered bags of cement for the bond beam across the top, plus vertical filled columns. I was trying to figure out what to do with the extra cement. stumbled across the mix formula the u.s. military uses for nuclear silos. rather than the typical 1-2-3 mix normally used (pretty much covers any residential house need), i decided to toss in the extra begs of cement. think it was like a 1-2-10 mix.

not something I would want to do on a 10 story building, but my foundation is ready for the blast from a minuteman missile. :lol:
You right, long after the houses are gone, slabs are there to remind us that at some point it was there. I have one slab on my property that I need to remove...

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:51 am

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:39 pm
In floor not my choice for Chile, break something in there after a bump or from problem during installation and it’s all gone, I use high tech low profile Italian wall mounted radiators.....
In floor heating is not a problem here. It’s a Chilean maestro problem.

Some of those Italian radiators looks very cool. Just the other day been in one of the stores in Santiago and they had very nice options.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 am

nwdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:37 pm
hlf2888 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:39 am
nwdiver wrote:
In floor not my choice for Chile, break something in there after a bump or from problem during installation and it’s all gone, I use high tech low profile Italian wall mounted radiators.....
Agree, I will skip the heated floors (or maybe only in bathroom) and make sure all my plumbing is at outside walls. Are the radiators steam or electric?
Hot water from a very high efficiency boiler, each has an individual thermostat on it so only rooms that need to be heated are turned up, the rest are at 15C. There are some good German made ones that are easily available in Chile, they are essentially high output “calafonts”. Mine came in with the radiators, it is also demand hot water, the efficiency is over 90%. The Europeans build these systems, North Americans are idiots when it comes to space and water heating, they use brute force. Chilean don’t heat much as “it’s only for 3 months, eh”.
You right, when it comes to space heating, EU is far ahead. My father in law build his house in Germany about 30 years ago and he has nice in floor heating system. Something that people in the States just started discovering recently.

His system was installed properly and he never had the fun of chasing leaky pipes in the concrete.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 am

KDnR wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:51 am
nwdiver wrote:
In floor heating is not a problem here. It’s a Chilean maestro problem.

Some of those Italian radiators looks very cool. Just the other day been in one of the stores in Santiago and they had very nice options.
Quick question: you've mentioned that the guys back at your place made progress while you traveled to receive some material, and you have also mentioned knowing about the legendacy Chilean maestro. How are you handling management for your projects while you're away? Do you have a maestro involved? Is your team local or gringo?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 am

[/quote]

There is a 10 inch pine rim board.

I also ran utility chases with big pvc pipes through the footing where needed, plus an extra one, to allow smaller pipes to be changed out inside them easily. also allows the structure to move independent of the pipes in an earthquake.

I own a jack hammer and a concrete saw. It is hard concreate, but not impossible to go through.
[/quote]

That is a very good idea to use the double pipe.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am

[/quote]

Quick question: you've mentioned that the guys back at your place made progress while you traveled to receive some material, and you have also mentioned knowing about the legendacy Chilean maestro. How are you handling management for your projects while you're away? Do you have a maestro involved? Is your team local or gringo?
[/quote]

We have a crew of locals that are working ONLY under supervision of gringo. Everything that you want to be done wrong, hire local contractor.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:25 am

10C59EDF-3EB1-489E-AC9E-E95114D6F6BF.jpeg
The strike in San Antonio affected our schedule beyond just last two days. I had to be done with containers on weekend and bring a coil of metal for trusses. Some were done before but we had to do the last batch. Did not wanted to do unnecessary trip to Santiago to bring it, that is why I delayed that till unloading containers.

And here is what we have because of that stupid strike. I was out of work for few days, trusses that had to be done by the end of the day on Monday are not there. We have to wait to deal with roof until it’s done. Of course we will not sit around and wait. We have few more closet walls to install and to install diagonal bracings, plus we have plenty of other work around. But still, hate to go slower.

The coil you see on this picture is going to become trusses today that hopefully we will start installing by the end of day.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Connection of the bottom plate of the outside wall to the slab. We have back to back metal studs connected together with a bunch of screws. That makes it unlikely to fail here. And the possible friction will happen under the slab where we have foam to gravel connection. Assuming if all of the parts of the house is done strong enough with some flexibility that metal provides.
Attachments
A2C2AD97-02D8-432C-A8A6-03E599009CE6.jpeg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:04 pm

926ECBC6-EE86-4326-9AD4-FE7FFFE0FA67.jpeg
It is amazing how much strength these diagonal stripes of metal stretched with tensioners adds to the frame. Helps to have perfectly straight corners and keep it that way. At this point frame is already rock solid. And it’s without outside boards, trusses, bracings and diagonal tightening of the roof.
Attachments
EC03B884-FB3D-4F9E-893A-C3FD9280EB40.jpeg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 pm

E437ED1E-A1AC-4D54-9560-08DB5B30B625.jpeg
We made it... All trusses done and that coil looks a bit different now then this morning. Starting to lift them up.
Attachments
F3EF55D2-3B9E-47D2-BDEA-00A8B4EBFE27.jpeg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:21 pm

That is it, enough for today. I got home from Santiago at 3.30 am and at 7.15 already went to the project. Have good feeling of achievement.

Does anyone even interested in all of my updates? It become a bit quiet... :).
Attachments
6CFE5A5F-B8FD-43E2-A636-561B017C3885.jpeg
C2536369-18F5-424E-8F76-74C887783807.jpeg