Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
41southchile

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am

KDnR wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 am
hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm
I knew I was in trouble when I walked into the kitchen and saw the maestro's assistant trying to hammer a screw into the wall. Yes, it really is that bad. And to get a good maestro, you have to wait months, years because they are booked.
Lol, screw with a hammer that sounds like a classic. I had all kinds of guys trying to work for me. But not as bad. Interesting thing, they all trying to tell me that I’m wrong in something the way I work. :). Oh well, I guess self confidence is very elevated and it is a good thing, right?
Yeah that seems to be a typical Chilean hammer swinger style of operating, I believe its called the Dunning-Kruger effect. VERY common in this country across many sectors and all social classes.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning ... ger_effect
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:17 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha I used to just call them the 86ers... which is the average world IQ or so I'm told. BTW, so far so good with maestro number ten after three weeks. I'm not giving out his phone number! Until the work is finished anyway.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 am

Yeah. Bad faith, dishonesty, incompetence and low cunning are the order of the day when it comes to maestros. Not just them either. I guess every homeowner in Chile has a maestro story or two.

Extrapolating from that, I'll believe that this country has truly advanced when it produces capable, qualified workers at all levels with a better attitude towards work. Nah...can't see that happening anytime soon.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:59 pm

ghibli wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:17 am
Hahahahahahahahahaha I used to just call them the 86ers... which is the average world IQ or so I'm told. BTW, so far so good with maestro number ten after three weeks. I'm not giving out his phone number! Until the work is finished anyway.
The ratio of 10:1 is about right. I tried to work with 12 till I found a good one that had no previous experience in construction but is teachable and can follow simple instructions.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Does anyone knows someone really good in tile work? I am trying to find one but so far after checking their work I lose interest.

What do you guys usually pay here per square meter of high quality work? I was able to find in Chile clips and wedges for tile leveling. Just need someone good to use it.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:08 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 am
KDnR wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 am
hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm
I knew I was in trouble when I walked into the kitchen and saw the maestro's assistant trying to hammer a screw into the wall. Yes, it really is that bad. And to get a good maestro, you have to wait months, years because they are booked.
Lol, screw with a hammer that sounds like a classic. I had all kinds of guys trying to work for me. But not as bad. Interesting thing, they all trying to tell me that I’m wrong in something the way I work. :). Oh well, I guess self confidence is very elevated and it is a good thing, right?
Yeah that seems to be a typical Chilean hammer swinger style of operating, I believe its called the Dunning-Kruger effect. VERY common in this country across many sectors and all social classes.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning ... ger_effect

That describes them perfectly

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:27 pm

To be fair - yes the huge majority of maestros who work on houses or small apartments are expletive deleted BUT, I have to say that the earthquake tech is impressive... starting with my place - one of the few things that got done right the first time was the triangulated corners which greatly strengthen the structure. Not much seen in the usa.... my carpenter friends there were impressed. And the reinforced concrete for the apartment towers in Santiago is very very cool. A 6.0 rattler which would level huge sections of LA is barely felt in most Santiago apartment buildings. How the same people cannot understand insulation and basic plumbing is beyond me....

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm

ghibli wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:27 pm
To be fair - yes the huge majority of maestros who work on houses or small apartments are expletive deleted BUT, I have to say that the earthquake tech is impressive... starting with my place - one of the few things that got done right the first time was the triangulated corners which greatly strengthen the structure. Not much seen in the usa.... my carpenter friends there were impressed. And the reinforced concrete for the apartment towers in Santiago is very very cool. A 6.0 rattler which would level huge sections of LA is barely felt in most Santiago apartment buildings. How the same people cannot understand insulation and basic plumbing is beyond me....
Last night pretty much right under my house we had an epicenter of 5.5 earthquake. It was felt very good in Santa Cruz also. I came here this morning and not a single crack anywhere. Seem like that double walls with all of the K bracings are working good. And foam just glued all together. I am happy with the results.

And I hear you. They do build in the way that things are handling earthquakes so good, why not improve just a bit?

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Jaysus.... you would not believe the torment I had getting a house built in Niebla, whilst living in Valdivia minding my 1 year-old at the time. Mother out working, me with his milk-bottle and washing etc. Got to view the progress of the house at weekends.

I honestly cannot even begin to emphasise the importance of being on-site. 5 years later and footy beckons now instead of his bottle, but still fixing the house. On a positive note, I have learnt how to use a screwdriver etc.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:33 am

First 3 pane window is installed.
Attachments
F301CA64-ADD3-4EE5-B210-70C97D49321F.jpeg
6C33B31A-380B-4A47-B857-3B57573AF286.jpeg