Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:17 am
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Did you manage to get a new spray foam guy?
Thank you. Yes, I found someone else now. He did half of the house inside by now and garage. We already covered garage walls inside with MgO boards before pouring the concrete. Soon he will be able to come out and finish the rest. It is actually takes a lot of time to get it done, all cavities must be filled and like always, I have to stay right next to him all day to make sure everything is done right.

The guy I used before for the foam... I have no idea what is going on with him and it’s hard to tell if even fraction of what he is saying is true. One day he is about to leave but then something “happened” and he cannot come. Then his worker allegedly sick with COVID, then the guy in charge claiming the same thing. And he is not responding for days on my texts.

As soon as I have to rely on outside help it’s a struggle here in Chile.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 am

Irishman wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am
Your house looks great. Congrats!
Thank you!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm

KDnR wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am
tiagoabner wrote:
(...) like always, I have to stay right next to him all day to make sure everything is done right.

The guy I used before for the foam... I have no idea what is going on with him and it’s hard to tell if even fraction of what he is saying is true. One day he is about to leave but then something “happened” and he cannot come. Then his worker allegedly sick with COVID, then the guy in charge claiming the same thing. And he is not responding for days on my texts.

I've talked this over with my brother a couple of times. He's a structural engineer in Brazil and he's thinking of moving to Chile once we're through the pandemic, and I'm fairly sure it would still be quite lucrative to move his whole crew here.

I continue to be amazed with how shitty construction workers can be around here.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:23 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm
KDnR wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am
tiagoabner wrote:
(...) like always, I have to stay right next to him all day to make sure everything is done right.

I've talked this over with my brother a couple of times. He's a structural engineer in Brazil and he's thinking of moving to Chile once we're through the pandemic, and I'm fairly sure it would still be quite lucrative to move his whole crew here.

I continue to be amazed with how shitty construction workers can be around here.
If your brother can provide quality and honest service, he will do great in this environment.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Up to this moment in half of the house, foam is still not done. Both guys I used before allegedly have some injuries that prevent them from coming over to finish it. What is interesting both claim that they injured their eyes! Santa Cruz is in lockdown and it is somewhat problematic to get to my property but I manage to continue.

We installed MgO boards inside of the house where the foam was finished. Takes much longer than working with sheetrock. Outlets must be cutout before, router bits can't handle cutting holes out the way it's done with sheetrock. That takes a lot of time but I love the finished product. Finishing corners with the router using diamond bit and those coming out perfect. Started to cut holes for can lights and applying the mud to get walls ready for finishing coat.
Attachments
IMG_3890.jpg
IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:11 pm

to tiogoabner. Yes indeed. I don't know what it would take for your brother to set up shop here with his crew - but definitely he would never lack for work once the word got out. I'm on my tenth maestro in three years. The ONLY way work gets done approximately correctly is when I'm here. I will say there have been moments of greatness - the 14 foot ceiling and monster quia for one, and some nice tile work here and there, but mostly they don't seem to know, don't want to learn, and expect to be paid for every single tomfoolery dia feriado. The house has been replumbed three times. The last guy was great but the other two were deliberate donkey's asses who deliberately did not follow instruction. The bright star was the electrician who was perfect first time out. My sympathies to all who adventure the uncharted waters of
construction. That said, I've seem some pretty bad crews in the eeuu.... cheers. Luckily chile makes pretty good wine. To KNnR. Congrats on getting good looking not-sheet rock. That was another major battle here .... carry on!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:09 pm

When I "worked" back in happier times, I used to detest intrusive people looking over my shoulders. So I keep supervision to a minimum. In our latest mishap I suggested making a walkway from scrap OSB on a ramp so that heavy wheelbarrow loads of cement wouldn't crack the ceramic tiles. Suggestion ignored, broken tiles was the result. Then the "maestro" suggested I pay him to repair the damage he caused by not listening to me. Didn't fix the tiles in the end as every job seems to result in collateral damage these days.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:26 pm

So sorry to hear such a familiar story fraggle. Ugly. Well here's one of mine. One day when the crew were putting up the very expensive 2x6s which I used for studs (tall wall and extra insulation) I noticed that they wouldn't clear the adjoining roof. The f'ing idiots had cut and installed every single one too short. Had to be taken out and replaced. Yes, I paid for the lumber. The f'ing "jefe" and his alleged "architect" were fired on the spot. Turns out the "jefe"="architect" tag team hadn't paid the crew - although I had given them the money.* So I kept the crew by paying them back wages and insisting that "I be the boss" We went along pretty well for 2-3 months, but I've noticed that chileno maestros can't stand prosperity. The crew started thinking about greener pastures and left to work for a guy (chileno) who once again didn't pay them. I used to be to your way of thinking - show some respect, but after replumbing the entire building three times I've changed. It's my way or the highway. The work may go more slowly but the materials costs are much less.
Ah yes, tales, we could tell over a copa... cheers.
* sure I had the receipts, but as admin has noted many times, tell it to the judge doesn't work well here. PS here's a new word for you:
malestro.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Yesterday finally received my container from Germany with windows, garage doors, exterior and interior doors and heat pump with solar water panels. All was delayed for some time due to Covid and I’m glad windows arrived with no damages. But let me tell you... 3 glass windows are extremely heavy.

Another great news, today foam guys finishing up the house. We did all we could inside up to this point. Now we can finish MgO boards inside.
Attachments
077B58BC-2184-4871-BDCD-9B881ECAE406.jpeg
04AFA5D0-52B8-4FDB-B576-2FEA7108CA92.jpeg
DEAB958F-C8A5-4B2E-A045-BA6B838FF3D8.jpeg

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm

I knew I was in trouble when I walked into the kitchen and saw the maestro's assistant trying to hammer a screw into the wall. Yes, it really is that bad. And to get a good maestro, you have to wait months, years because they are booked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:26 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm
I knew I was in trouble when I walked into the kitchen and saw the maestro's assistant trying to hammer a screw into the wall. Yes, it really is that bad. And to get a good maestro, you have to wait months, years because they are booked.
wooo, you found a meastro with a hammer?

can we have his number?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm
Lol, screw with a hammer that sounds like a classic. I had all kinds of guys trying to work for me. But not as bad. Interesting thing, they all trying to tell me that I’m wrong in something the way I work. :). Oh well, I guess self confidence is very elevated and it is a good thing, right?