Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by admin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 pm

interesting.

I worked as a roofer too when in high school and couple years in university.

coming from a northern climate, you can apreciate my natural recoil at the sight of "flat" roofs of any sort. in that area it is probably fine, but they insist on trying to transplant those to southern Chile.

Down south, we would call it a "rooftop swimming pool" :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 pm
interesting.

I worked as a roofer too when in high school and couple years in university.

coming from a northern climate, you can apreciate my natural recoil at the sight of "flat" roofs of any sort. in that area it is probably fine, but they insist on trying to transplant those to southern Chile.

Down south, we would call it a "rooftop swimming pool" :lol:
:) I know what you mean. I lived in a rainy state and flat roofs always had some sort of problems. But I can't complain, I made a lot of money when people called to do repairs. So... I have an idea how to do it right. Attention to details and everything will be fine.

I scratch my head when I see some other people doing it. Recently I saw one roof done in the most horrible way I have ever seen... That is how houses set for a disaster down the road.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Finally!!! Our exterior boards made it to the property after 5 months of delays. Could not unload into warehouse due to complete lockdown in Santiago, had to bring the container to the property to unload by hand. Not much fun to do it, each board is up to 120 pounds. But at least it is here and we can move on with construction.
Attachments
IMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Today we finished wrapping the house in MgO stripes. Same as on the roof, it will help eliminate heat loss or gain. It took a lot of materials, almost the whole pallet. The problem now is that we need to get spray foam guy to do corners and areas that we will not be able to do from inside. And he is from Santiago and can't come because of lockdown. Can't start putting MgO boards until that is done...
Attachments
IMG_3286.jpg

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm

So just flicking through the whole thread....thanks for sharing...

The flat roof, you mentioned you know how to design, the solution is you just design it in such a way that after heavy rains you can just leave the water there until it dries out and given the construction quality it will be fine?

And then my other curiosity, the under floor heating, how does that work? Those pipes contain what - hot water? Heated by gas?

Also curious if you are considering/going to do solar panels/solar hot water systems or not? Or just rely on grid electricity + gas supply? If you are building in the Colchagua valley area, solar energy would be decent.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun May 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
So just flicking through the whole thread....thanks for sharing...

The flat roof, you mentioned you know how to design, the solution is you just design it in such a way that after heavy rains you can just leave the water there until it dries out and given the construction quality it will be fine?

And then my other curiosity, the under floor heating, how does that work? Those pipes contain what - hot water? Heated by gas?

Also curious if you are considering/going to do solar panels/solar hot water systems or not? Or just rely on grid electricity + gas supply? If you are building in the Colchagua valley area, solar energy would be decent.
I have a drainage system inside the roof. Heavy rain may destroy the roof in no time if there is no way out for the water. The weight of that water may quickly exceed how much that roof can handle. On top of that drainage, I have an overflow opening, just in case...

In-floor heating will be handled by the heat pump that is working on electricity. Also, I am using top of the line unit that also utilize heat from solar hot water panels. Most of the time I will have extra heat that I could use to warm up the floor. If I do not have enough sun for the water, the heat pump will help. But we have plenty of sun here, doubt that this would be the case. And I am placing a system that exceeds my needs. I like to go the extra mile in everything I do if you noticed.

Pipes inside of floor contain water.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 pm

ok, thanks!

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Does anyone know the contractor in the Santa Cruz area who can finish spraying the foam from inside? Our contractor can't get to us from Santiago now to finish the job. He was able to get here once during lockdown that we can proceed with placing MgO but can't get another permit now. Please PM me if you know somebody, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_3437.jpg
IMG_3436.jpg
IMG_3438.jpg