Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm also interested in the cost-effectiveness of using that kind of foam. My understanding is that you're building this house somewhere in the O'Higgins region, so it won't face harsh winters. Yeah, there's the whole thermal efficiency factor, but I'm a bit unsure if this isn't overkill. So I would love to hear your reasoning.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Talagante area, Chile
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by Britkid » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:24 pm

The payback period on installing insulation can often be really low - a couple of years in some cases. Give it 10 years and you might make 5x the money back. Majority of houses in the world are probably under insulated. So over insulting vs the norm might make sense.

True passive house standards in much of Chile (where most people live), if coupled with other things like large windows facing the sun, would require hardly spending anything on heating at all.

You make the money back and also there is a big environmental benefit, especially if you are using gas.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:24 pm
The payback period on installing insulation can often be really low - a couple of years in some cases. Give it 10 years and you might make 5x the money back. Majority of houses in the world are probably under insulated. So over insulting vs the norm might make sense.

True passive house standards in much of Chile (where most people live), if coupled with other things like large windows facing the sun, would require hardly spending anything on heating at all.

You make the money back and also there is a big environmental benefit, especially if you are using gas.
That is true, but that's actually not my concern. There are diminishing returns when you move up to the high-grade stuff, such as KNDR has done here, and I'm wondering about the choice.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:57 pm
I'm also interested in the cost-effectiveness of using that kind of foam. My understanding is that you're building this house somewhere in the O'Higgins region, so it won't face harsh winters. Yeah, there's the whole thermal efficiency factor, but I'm a bit unsure if this isn't overkill. So I would love to hear your reasoning.
This foam is not cheap, but if I get my investment back in a few years that does not sound that bad. Plus I get a resilient structure. Don't have to run AC all day as I do it now in a Chilean house during the summer. And my electric bill is just going up those months like a chart of coronavirus infected people.

I understand that for many people whatever I am doing seems like overkill. Everything, starting from the foundation and down the line. And it will be like that till the end. Well, some people like much better stuff. I am not that rich to buy cheap junk.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22320
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by admin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am

I actually don't think it is optional, as the house built with metal studs and structure.

You simply would never be able to insulate it fully with say rigid foam board. the heat or cold would always ghost through the metal studs in to the interior.

in that region with blown foam, you will probably be able to get away with no active heating or cooling system; at least for most of the year. possibly the entire year. so, at the least the cost will be a wash. probably immediately. In fact I would say live in it a year before committing to installing any sort of active system.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 am

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am
I actually don't think it is optional, as the house built with metal studs and structure.

You simply would never be able to insulate it fully with say rigid foam board. the heat or cold would always ghost through the metal studs in to the interior.

in that region with blown foam, you will probably be able to get away with no active heating or cooling system; at least for most of the year. possibly the entire year. so, at the least the cost will be a wash. probably immediately. In fact I would say live in it a year before committing to installing any sort of active system.
House insulated that way would need for a heating refrigerator, 10 light bulbs and a living person inside. The heat they produce should be enough to keep the temperature comfortable.

Different insulation is possible in my case because I use double-wall construction and two walls do not have direct connection points, except joists going over them. We used wood blocks to connect wall between each other.

You are right about regular metal frame houses, they are like a highway for heat or cold to travel in both directions.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2120
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Sporadically follow this thread. Since this is evidently being built to a high standard, would just add a comment. Add a small central wiring closet and run plenty of data cables back to it from all over. Just Google "Smart House Wiring"

The sort of people who are willing to pay for decent construction will probably want the mod cons of Home Automation, CCTV, Fire and Security systems and AV distribution. Its much easier to prepare for this before the drywall goes on, and cable itself is relatively cheap.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 pm
Sporadically follow this thread. Since this is evidently being built to a high standard, would just add a comment. Add a small central wiring closet and run plenty of data cables back to it from all over. Just Google "Smart House Wiring"

The sort of people who are willing to pay for decent construction will probably want the mod cons of Home Automation, CCTV, Fire and Security systems and AV distribution. Its much easier to prepare for this before the drywall goes on, and cable itself is relatively cheap.
Thanks for the tip. I just watch some videos and got more educated on the subject. I thought I knew most of it but heard some new ideas from the video "smart house wiring" I found.

Tips about any improvements are always appreciated!

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Time to cover the roof.
Attachments
IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3131.jpg
IMG_3128.jpg

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Primer and the first layer of Flexicoat are in place.
Attachments
IMG_3169.jpg

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22320
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by admin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:35 pm

what is that?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:59 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:35 pm
what is that?
It is waterproof and weatherproof coating that is very flexible and could be walked upon.

I started my career in construction working as a roofer and for several years had a company mostly doing that. I have seen and used lots of different product. In my opinion this is the best thing you could use for a flat roof.

I took a picture of a product to avoid posting a link. Plenty of information online for those who are interested.
Attachments
89BC236E-B6F5-4682-9BFB-5AC40A6CB808.jpeg
89BC236E-B6F5-4682-9BFB-5AC40A6CB808.jpeg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Post Reply