Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 am

Well I'm sure we could find a forumite or two around here willing to criticize ;)

But it won't be me......just waiting to see those pics of the final product (no matter how many months from now it takes).
I want to get to the final product as soon as possible also. Tired of living in a Chilean house.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:00 pm

Excavation is done, gravel delivered, pile of metal joists is growing...
Attachments
IMG_2546.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Gravel here cost much more then what I paid in the States. Who would have thought? People expect that building in a country like Chile should cost you a lot less. Because labor is cheap... I would argue that a few of my guys from the States would cost me less at the end than using locals. Is that just me?
Attachments
IMG_2549.jpg

mem

Post by mem » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am

Are the metal components you are using made in chile from Chilean metal? Wondering how you did quality control on the metal

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 am

mem wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am
Are the metal components you are using made in chile from Chilean metal? Wondering how you did quality control on the metal
I get my metal from China. On my last order I received tensile strength of the metal G780. G550 is incredibly strong... In Chile they use G350. It’s not all about the the gage but about tensile strength.

When two of my last containers were ready to ship from China, we went there to cut samples from many coils, took it to Germany for a test on strength and galvanized coating.

Btw, galvanized coating on my metal is about 3 times thicker then locals using. My product is much superior to anything you can find in Chile.

And about where it’s made... on the property next to the job site. I control the production and supplies. Relying on Chileans is not a good strategy.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:22 pm

That sounds like some really high quality metal. How does the price compare with the overhead of importing it versus using the inferior metal components in chile? It sounds well worth the premium

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Cost of better quality metal with importing, traveling, quality check in China and very high storage overhead is still lower than buying here.

It is not easy, I had to visit so many factories in China, all over the country. If you just order something using Alibaba and do not check who are you buying from, you are screwed. Chinese people are so good... in cheating and lying. And on my first order, I got screwed, they delivered G350 instead of G550. That was after I visited their company and got a nice welcome tour. All appropriate test results have been delivered from a government-owned independent company that the metal is G550. I learned the hard lesson not to trust anyone in trades with China.

Then I had two more orders that had to be canceled. They take the money, I wait until the delivery of the product and then when I say that I am coming to check the product personally testing it in the States or Germany, orders getting canceled. I took money back using Alibaba insurance.

But eventually, I found what I was looking for and now will reap benefits. Being in a position where I am not dependent on Chileans is a nice thing. Plus, it is likely that the product I could buy here would be made in China :).

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm

Day #3 working on my house. We started to assemble the bottom part already.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 7.33.52 PM.png

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 pm

KDnR wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 am
mem wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am
I get my metal from China. On my last order I received tensile strength of the metal G780. G550 is incredibly strong... In Chile they use G350. It’s not all about the the gage but about tensile strength.

When two of my last containers were ready to ship from China, we went there to cut samples from many coils, took it to Germany for a test on strength and galvanized coating.

Btw, galvanized coating on my metal is about 3 times thicker then locals using. My product is much superior to anything you can find in Chile.

And about where it’s made... on the property next to the job site. I control the production and supplies. Relying on Chileans is not a good strategy.
I get what you are trying to do, and probably a good idea for the first round, but you got a lot of wiggle room to cut cost and still get the same functional strength/ quality. It is a house, not a 20 story parking garage.

you know that super overpriced bridge to chiloe?

they sourced all their metal from CAP in Chile. not even the koreans are going to china for bridge metal. chile does produce it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm

KDnR wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 am
admin wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 am

I looked at it this way. If I try to do something myself, that I have never done before, I think to myself 'If I only screw this up half as bad as one of the maestros, I am way ahead'. :lol: Thus, I find myself totally willing to do a lot of things here, that back in the States, I would have never even bothered giving it a go.

Well, that, and the invention of YouTube helps. It makes me feel like I am cheating.
I guess I am not the only one cheating! Plugged in into Youtube university... Same approach with doing things myself. Things I don't know how to do I can't get wrong as bad as local maestro. I don't think all of them that bad but my chances with them to get a horrible outcome are much higher than to get a good job.

I did not work physically on the construction for about 15 years. Was managing projects as a GC dealing with responsible subcontractors. Now back in the game. Teaching my crew how to do it, hiring only those whos mind was not corrupted with local "experience".
I had a chuckle at that one.

I use to work as a primarily concrete and roofing grunt and then contractor in high school and university, before moving to more management type work. so I sort of knew the foundation and the roof first hand, and everything else between was subcontracted out.

when I went to do other things myself, when I got to chile, I realized I was nothing but a "checkbook contractor". I knew the the theory, but essentially my major skill was cutting checks for someone else, that specialized in one small area. Even the inspection work was not really my job. obviously, I could eyeball it and say that looks good, but it was up to the inspector. Then if it failed, call back the contractor.

you get what I am getting at. the jack of all trades, master of none.

but a chilean friend of mine put it this way.

you ask a Chilean maestro if they can build you a nuclear reactor or a table, they say, si. you ask when it will be ready, they say soon.

:lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:15 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 pm

I get what you are trying to do, and probably a good idea for the first round, but you got a lot of wiggle room to cut cost and still get the same functional strength/ quality. It is a house, not a 20 story parking garage.

you know that super overpriced bridge to chiloe?

they sourced all their metal from CAP in Chile. not even the koreans are going to china for bridge metal. chile does produce it.
I was getting quotes for the metal in the States before, they produce it too. Well, it was double of what I pay in China. The cost of the shipping container from China is $1700 and when I am getting 26 tons in one container, the cost per ton is not that high. Labor in China is low and they are specialized in flooding the whole world with their product.

I looked for metal everywhere and consulted with the company that sold me the metal frame machine. They know a lot about it because they have their equipment all over the world. They said that the lowest price I can get is in Chine If I can manage to deal with Chinese.

I am planning to supply over 90% of all of my material needs for my project. The price difference is huge if I am buying here, making money for local stores or keep my warehouse, buying in bulk from anywhere in the world and stay in control. I am looking for a better product that I can get here and for the price of course. If I can buy cheaper metal of high quality here, I will do it.

I am getting a lot of other stuff from China, not just metal. Makes a lot of sense.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 pm

First time in my life I did plumbing by myself in the house! My plumber was not around, that is the time of the year where it's hard to get anyone to do anything. The idea of getting Chilean maestro involved was not looking good, so... I decided to do it. A few hours of Youtube education, then check, double-check approach and very slowly but I got it done and I am happy with my results. Now I am ready for the foam insulation but my contractor is not available till Monday. I have to stop working at my house for a few days and do something else.
Attachments
IMG_1409.jpg