Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
KDnR

Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 pm

I decided to share with you guys my journey of building in Chile. As many of you already know, that is not an easy task.

A month ago I started to build the main house and just a few days ago I started working on the guest house. I was sharing the progress privately with some of the people on this board up to this moment but I thought that more people would want to have a chance to look at it too.

Disclaimer: I do not advertise my construction business here. I have lots of work lined up ahead. I am just sharing a different type of construction that you never have seen before.

I will not be able to spend a lot of time on this forum to explain each step but I will be happy to answer questions.

Here it is. This is what we did at the end of last week:
Attachments
IMG_2158.jpg
IMG_2161.jpg
IMG_2165.jpg

KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 pm

More pictures...
Attachments
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:06 pm

And some more :)
Attachments
IMG_2206.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

As someone who's considering building in Chile in the future, would you mind sharing a bit more about your choices regarding the construction technique you chose?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

chilly

Post by chilly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 am

I’d be interested to know which issues you did plan for and which you chose not to implement in terms of earthquakes (like 8.0), flooding from storms, lightning or high winds, solar panels, insulation, passive solar, fire resistance, etc.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 am

What exactly is new here?

metal framed houses are pretty common now, and have been for 10 or 20 years.

I don't like there thermal properties, but that is also depends on what part of the country you are in and is fixable.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:29 am

as for the earthquake, the metal studs are known to perform well in earthquakes.

problem with metal over wood, is their failure mode is rather sudden vs. wood that tends to fail gracefully in earthquakes. think about the way screws rip out of metal vs. nails out of wood. even that is fixiable, and probably has more to do with the covering (e.g. osb shear walls) than the type of studs anyway. and a house with a bunch of strange angels will not perform well no matter what you build it out of.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 am

admin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 am

I don't like there thermal properties, but that is also depends on what part of the country you are in and is fixable.
I thought it was just me, is it just the fact it is metal com or is there something else different about the construction? Metal framing quite common here, has its supporters and those that dont like it.
Looking good though, good photos.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm
As someone who's considering building in Chile in the future, would you mind sharing a bit more about your choices regarding the construction technique you chose?
That is the plan, I will be sharing that as we go alone step by step. Simply do not have much time in a day :). Ask more specifically and I will do my best.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:10 pm

chilly wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 am
I’d be interested to know which issues you did plan for and which you chose not to implement in terms of earthquakes (like 8.0), flooding from storms, lightning or high winds, solar panels, insulation, passive solar, fire resistance, etc.
I will show what I will do that the house will be just fine in a major earthquake, can't be damaged during flooding and will withstand fire. Just be patient, will be posting photos here.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 am

There is nothing new under the sun. All material was invented a long time ago. But the way I will use all that is different from what people usually do.

You right, metal framing has its issues and I will address those during construction.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:29 am
as for the earthquake, the metal studs are known to perform well in earthquakes.

problem with metal over wood, is their failure mode is rather sudden vs. wood that tends to fail gracefully in earthquakes. think about the way screws rip out of metal vs. nails out of wood. even that is fixiable, and probably has more to do with the covering (e.g. osb shear walls) than the type of studs anyway. and a house with a bunch of strange angels will not perform well no matter what you build it out of.
The metal frame will perform better in an earthquake if...
1) tensile strength of the metal is high enough;
2) quality screws and an appropriate amount of them;
3) K bracing are in place in most of the walls;
4) diagonal straps are used with proper tensioners

The weakest part of the metal-framed house is the bottom plate where walls are connected to the foundation. I have a way to deal with that also.