Farm land.

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 pm

the tax exempt status of most rural agro properties is not going anywhere. that is too big a political hot potate for either the left or the right. same reason that the wood contamination is not getting fixed. effects a lot poor people, and there are more poor people to vote in chile than rich people.

chile just needs a super simple token property tax, and get rid of all the mystery formulas that are sometimes applied.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2989
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 pm

I agree, a property I have in Canada, 10 acres, as an operating farm ;) ;) is $1250 a year, as a rural residence $4200-5000 a year, ok I farm clove and bees.....I think that's fair, it also can get cheap stuff as a farm, equipment has no taxes and I can buy manufacturer direct......
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm
well for all of you that felt left out of the property tax party, brace for impact.

Thanks to the high-profile natue of Pinera's screw-up with his own property, it looks like the chilean IRS suddendly is motivated to reasses property taxes all across the country, especially on rural properties it had ignored.

so far, we have two property tax reassements this month for client's properties, that paperwork had been pending at the IRS for months and one for years with no movement by the IRS. poof, the beucratic dam broke.

One got a bill for three years of back taxes, one got a one year bill. we highly doubt that is an accident.

so if you have property that the taxes have not changed in a long-time, keep an eye out for sudden changes in assesed value.
Another screw up by Piñera, thanks Sr Doufus . Bout sums him up. A wasted opportunity this administration has been, I know there have been some things that have made him almost a lame duck in some ways, still I guess we can just be grateful he kept Guiller out, that is seemingly like his ONLY saving grace. The way things are going this will only be a one term derecha govt when it needed to be at least 2 , back to more motaniveladoras in 2022.
Well, as much fun as it is to bash on Pinera, funny conversation I overheard between my wife and one of our Argentinean clients the other day.

My wife was like, "yea, no one is too happy with pinera right now and the economy is not doing so great".

Client said something like: "Are you kidding me? Chile's inflation rate last month was something like 0.03%, and our inflation was 3.2%. Our monthly inflation rate is higher than Chile's annual inflation. I go to the store to buy milk, and the guy can not sell it to me because he does not know how much it costs at that moment".

Well, at least the lights are still on in Chile. Not so sure about Argentina.

I cut pinera some slack (for the moment). He, and the central bank, are doing what they should be doing. Copper prices are down, trade war is up, but they are cutting interest rates and injecting several billion in to the economy in infrastructure projects. As appose to Bachelet when the economy was down, and then her administration went and shot the economy with both barrels (tax reform, education reform, etc, etc) to make sure it stayed down. She actually bluntly said, "screw economic growth". Pretty much anything they could think of to kill the economy.

Still, the unforced error, like not having his building permits in order, taking his kids to China with him, etc those are totally fair game to make fun of him.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Farm land.

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 pm
41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm
well for all of you that felt left out of the property tax party, brace for impact.

Thanks to the high-profile natue of Pinera's screw-up with his own property, it looks like the chilean IRS suddendly is motivated to reasses property taxes all across the country, especially on rural properties it had ignored.

so far, we have two property tax reassements this month for client's properties, that paperwork had been pending at the IRS for months and one for years with no movement by the IRS. poof, the beucratic dam broke.

One got a bill for three years of back taxes, one got a one year bill. we highly doubt that is an accident.

so if you have property that the taxes have not changed in a long-time, keep an eye out for sudden changes in assesed value.
Another screw up by Piñera, thanks Sr Doufus . Bout sums him up. A wasted opportunity this administration has been, I know there have been some things that have made him almost a lame duck in some ways, still I guess we can just be grateful he kept Guiller out, that is seemingly like his ONLY saving grace. The way things are going this will only be a one term derecha govt when it needed to be at least 2 , back to more motaniveladoras in 2022.
Well, as much fun as it is to bash on Pinera, funny conversation I overheard between my wife and one of our Argentinean clients the other day.

My wife was like, "yea, no one is too happy with pinera right now and the economy is not doing so great".

Client said something like: "Are you kidding me? Chile's inflation rate last month was something like 0.03%, and our inflation was 3.2%. Our monthly inflation rate is higher than Chile's annual inflation. I go to the store to buy milk, and the guy can not sell it to me because he does not know how much it costs at that moment".

Well, at least the lights are still on in Chile. Not so sure about Argentina.

I cut pinera some slack (for the moment). He, and the central bank, are doing what they should be doing. Copper prices are down, trade war is up, but they are cutting interest rates and injecting several billion in to the economy in infrastructure projects. As appose to Bachelet when the economy was down, and then her administration went and shot the economy with both barrels (tax reform, education reform, etc, etc) to make sure it stayed down. She actually bluntly said, "screw economic growth". Pretty much anything they could think of to kill the economy.

Still, the unforced error, like not having his building permits in order, taking his kids to China with him, etc those are totally fair game to make fun of him.
Yeah maybe too hard on Piñera, in light of what's going on. Although hearing some of those infrastructure projects are all smoke and mirrors to make headlines, the Chiloe dual carridegeway of ruta 5 has suddenly been pushed back, when a few months ago it was all go apparantly. I'm not saying Piñera is shit, he is just being portrayed that way and that is a worry, for Chile to really take off and shake all those socialist/communist/ there needs to be another bloc from the derecha next election
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 pm
41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm
well for all of you that felt left out of the property tax party, brace for impact.

Thanks to the high-profile natue of Pinera's screw-up with his own property, it looks like the chilean IRS suddendly is motivated to reasses property taxes all across the country, especially on rural properties it had ignored.

so far, we have two property tax reassements this month for client's properties, that paperwork had been pending at the IRS for months and one for years with no movement by the IRS. poof, the beucratic dam broke.

One got a bill for three years of back taxes, one got a one year bill. we highly doubt that is an accident.

so if you have property that the taxes have not changed in a long-time, keep an eye out for sudden changes in assesed value.
Another screw up by Piñera, thanks Sr Doufus . Bout sums him up. A wasted opportunity this administration has been, I know there have been some things that have made him almost a lame duck in some ways, still I guess we can just be grateful he kept Guiller out, that is seemingly like his ONLY saving grace. The way things are going this will only be a one term derecha govt when it needed to be at least 2 , back to more motaniveladoras in 2022.
Well, as much fun as it is to bash on Pinera, funny conversation I overheard between my wife and one of our Argentinean clients the other day.

My wife was like, "yea, no one is too happy with pinera right now and the economy is not doing so great".

Client said something like: "Are you kidding me? Chile's inflation rate last month was something like 0.03%, and our inflation was 3.2%. Our monthly inflation rate is higher than Chile's annual inflation. I go to the store to buy milk, and the guy can not sell it to me because he does not know how much it costs at that moment".

Well, at least the lights are still on in Chile. Not so sure about Argentina.

I cut pinera some slack (for the moment). He, and the central bank, are doing what they should be doing. Copper prices are down, trade war is up, but they are cutting interest rates and injecting several billion in to the economy in infrastructure projects. As appose to Bachelet when the economy was down, and then her administration went and shot the economy with both barrels (tax reform, education reform, etc, etc) to make sure it stayed down. She actually bluntly said, "screw economic growth". Pretty much anything they could think of to kill the economy.

Still, the unforced error, like not having his building permits in order, taking his kids to China with him, etc those are totally fair game to make fun of him.
Yeah maybe too hard on Piñera, in light of what's going on. Although hearing some of those infrastructure projects are all smoke and mirrors to make headlines, the Chiloe dual carridegeway of ruta 5 has suddenly been pushed back, when a few months ago it was all go apparantly. I'm not saying Piñera is shit, he is just being portrayed that way and that is a worry, for Chile to really take off and shake all those socialist/communist/ there needs to be another bloc from the derecha next election
Yea, the other right wing block, is probably kkkast. Not sure there is a possibility of an effective second "center right" party. The DC, after getting so burned flirting with the far left, might move to grab that center right territory in the next presidential election; but, that is just speculation.

The socialist party, with all of the corruption cases, pro-immigration stance, and the narco-politic scandal, has pretty much collapsed in on itself from its own internal bullshit. That leaves a fairly big political hole on the left. Those former supporters of the socialist party, either have to break far left, or move to the center right. That means a DC or NM to the right, or communist party and FA on the far left.

Overall, my sense of where the left stands, is that the they are loosing a lot of supporters over recent years. Some friends of mine that were very hard-core socialist / communist party type supporters since the 80's, and use to take the view "I will never vote for the right because voting for right means voting for the return of the dictatorship" types, voted for Pinera last time. They are seriously disillusioned with the corruption and incompetence the left has brought to the table over the last two Bachelet administrations.

I see a lot of younger lefty voters I know leaning to supporting the FA (university age of course); older, former socialist / communist party supporters (dictatorship kids), are breaking more right and skipping the DC in the middle all together. The DC is for the most part a rebranded socialist party, that was a bit more palatable for general center voters in a post-dictatorship time. That ship has sailed, and most of those voters don't want to hear anymore about the "we are the party that opposes the dictatorship". The DC, socialist, and communist parties have pretty much defined their existence around the dictatorship, and have very little else to offer. The younger generation sees them as being as much the problem, as the far right. Thus why the FA has gained so much ground on the left.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Mahmoud
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Re: Farm land.

Post by Mahmoud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I've been busy to follow up. Me and my friend thinking about investing in farming. We have between 10000 -20000 dollars but we can try to increase the capital money. Is it enough to buy a fsrming land?

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Mahmoud wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I've been busy to follow up. Me and my friend thinking about investing in farming. We have between 10000 -20000 dollars but we can try to increase the capital money. Is it enough to buy a fsrming land?
not even remotly close. hell, you can hardly start a garden for that in chile.

$200,000 u.s. would get you sufficient land to go bankrupt trying to farm.

Try more like 2 million dollars to even be in the game to have a commercially viable farm in chile. even that might be a stretch now. That is if you knew what you were doing, and had sufficient experience to really stretch a relatively small piece of land to the max production.

I think you got the wrong country for your budget.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Farm land.

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 pm

$10,000 - $20,000 dollars is a reasonable per-person figure to cover living expenses for a year in Chile, depending on your lifestyle. So yeah, it isn't remotely close to being enough to start a farming business.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 pm
$10,000 - $20,000 dollars is a reasonable per-person figure to cover living expenses for a year in Chile, depending on your lifestyle. So yeah, it isn't remotely close to being enough to start a farming business.
that is what two foriegners, just arriving are going to need, just to find a property in chile. Assuming they care at all about the quality.

but, i have sneaky suspicion, there is more going on with this question than the OP is posting.

I sure hope they don't think they are going to "buy" residency or citizenship, by buying some property in chile. there is zero rights connected to immigrate or visit chile by owning property in chile.

the immigration scams related to chile are getting thick, now that the u.s., europe, and well just about everywhere else is cracking down. much of what is being shoveled on facebook, whatsapp, whatever is simply wrong to full on lies to lure people to buy whatever human trafficking crap they are pushing.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Farm land.

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 pm

I thought he said he was married to a chilena? Or is that story suspect also.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Farm land.

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Mahmoud wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I've been busy to follow up. Me and my friend thinking about investing in farming. We have between 10000 -20000 dollars but we can try to increase the capital money. Is it enough to buy a fsrming land?
I think you left off a couple of zeros on your figures
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 pm
Mahmoud wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I've been busy to follow up. Me and my friend thinking about investing in farming. We have between 10000 -20000 dollars but we can try to increase the capital money. Is it enough to buy a fsrming land?
I think you left off a couple of zeros on your figures
I am always amazed at how people think they are just going to buy a little piece of land and start a farm from scratch. only people that have never farmed, or even gardened, would even think that is possible.

farming is a very capital and labor intensive business. now a days it is a highly technical business. you need to know everything from engineering and chemistry, to basic gentics and biology. the land is typically the cheap part.

what i would say to anyone considering buying a farm, start a garden in your backyard that is say larger than 1000 square meters. If that goes well, now try to imagine how much time and money it will cost to scale that up to 100 hectares, 200, or a 1000.

hell, just owning a 100 or 200 hectares doing nothing cost money to own and maintain.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply