Farm land.

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Mahmoud
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Farm land.

Post by Mahmoud » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi,
I once read that Chilean government facilitates investment in agriculture in the south. I searched for exact prices but found many old ones. What is the exact price per acre for lands in the south please? Any advise regarding agriculture?

Thank u all.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Farm land.

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Mahmoud wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm
Hi,
I once read that Chilean government facilitates investment in agriculture in the south. I searched for exact prices but found many old ones. What is the exact price per acre for lands in the south please? Any advise regarding agriculture?

Thank u all.
Not sure where you read that, but no not really, you maybe able to get a few million pesos back for applying fertilizer but no more than about 10kUSD , apart from that, nothing really that facilitates investments In agriculture. In Chile they work in hectares the price of land varies from 1000USD per hectare to over 50 thousand per hectare it depends on many many things , you need to be a little more specific the south is a big place.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 pm

perhaps in say 1900's, not really today beyond some small scale programs for small farmers.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Farm land.

Post by mem » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Mahmoud wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm
Hi,
I once read that Chilean government facilitates investment in agriculture in the south. I searched for exact prices but found many old ones. What is the exact price per acre for lands in the south please? Any advise regarding agriculture?

Thank u all.
The one benefit from the government are the non-urban properties...IE rural/agricultural don't have property tax. Maybe I am wrong or that has changed, but it is a pretty great benefit that avoids the "state imposed rent" on properties you actually own that typically applies

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Farm land.

Post by 41southchile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 pm

mem wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm
Mahmoud wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm
Hi,
I once read that Chilean government facilitates investment in agriculture in the south. I searched for exact prices but found many old ones. What is the exact price per acre for lands in the south please? Any advise regarding agriculture?

Thank u all.
The one benefit from the government are the non-urban properties...IE rural/agricultural don't have property tax. Maybe I am wrong or that has changed, but it is a pretty great benefit that avoids the "state imposed rent" on properties you actually own that typically applies
They do have property tax, nearly everything has property tax now, and they rose substantially after the infinite wisdom of the NM.
There are some small exceptions but the govt will extract their pound of flesh no matter what.
The one advantage of agriculture though is taxes you pay, its renta presunta, so you only pay a percentage of the govt valuation of your land (like 10 percent) instead of actually what you make off the land provided you make less than 9000 UFs in income per year. (250 million) As govt valuation are a lot lower than commercial valuation the savings can be substantial compared to someone owning a shop for example.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

proger
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Farm land.

Post by proger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:12 pm

from what ive understand no more than 5 hetareas in rural land is free from property tax

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 am

proger wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:12 pm
from what ive understand no more than 5 hetareas in rural land is free from property tax
not true, and way more complicated than that. for example, plenty of parcels of half hectare in the country pay property tax even though the have no house and are still zoned rural agriculture.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Farm land.

Post by proger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 pm

nice good to know

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Farm land.

Post by mem » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I havent heard of the 5 hectare rule. I have heard of the 1 hectare rule without a house where apparently the property tax is 0%.

So a more pointed question...is it true that there could be 1 hectare rural properties with no house somewhere in rural Chile with 0% property tax?

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Farm land.

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I havent heard of the 5 hectare rule. I have heard of the 1 hectare rule without a house where apparently the property tax is 0%.

So a more pointed question...is it true that there could be 1 hectare rural properties with no house somewhere in rural Chile with 0% property tax?
Hi haven't heard of that rule but doesn't sound very likely, considering the half hectare lots I sell incur a property tax, normally about 17 to 25 thousand pesos per quarter or less than 150 USD annually , still not a huge amount.
It normally takes at least a year after the sale before they start charging.
In fact in some instances in rural areas you pay less property tax if there is a dwelling on the property as opposed to an empty lot, that's why a lot of people put on a small 4 by 4 meter shack or pergola or something on their parcelas . Somewhere without a property tax seems very unlikely.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17779
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Farm land.

Post by admin » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I havent heard of the 5 hectare rule. I have heard of the 1 hectare rule without a house where apparently the property tax is 0%.

So a more pointed question...is it true that there could be 1 hectare rural properties with no house somewhere in rural Chile with 0% property tax?
yea i own one that is tax exempt, with a house on it.

turns out president pinera owns one too. :lol:

there is a convoluted formula, that involves property, community economic disadvantage, special acts of congress that are specific to various regions, etc, etc; which, all is often meaningless, when it takes sometimes decades for the tax authority to get around reassesing property values. even then the formula is not based on market value, and they can only increase the tax rate at 10% a year until they reach the new rate. which by that time, the market has more than run away from whatever magical number they decided to use.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Farm land.

Post by Gloria » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:23 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 pm
mem wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I havent heard of the 5 hectare rule. I have heard of the 1 hectare rule without a house where apparently the property tax is 0%.

So a more pointed question...is it true that there could be 1 hectare rural properties with no house somewhere in rural Chile with 0% property tax?
yea i own one that is tax exempt, with a house on it.

turns out president pinera owns one too. :lol:
This means you have not regulated your house. You may laugh now but......"is pay me now or pay me later"........when it's time for you to sell it, by law you must regulate it or cannot sell. By when you do, you may have to pay retroactive those years you didn't pay and then guess who will be laughing last.....
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Post Reply