Orden de visita

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
soyena

Orden de visita

Post by soyena » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:30 pm

I have seen a house that I like with agent A, she told me the price is 12800, I said I would pay 12000, she immediately tells me it is impossible, without consulting the owner. Now, I have the owners contact and honestly i would like to negotiate with the owner myself. But if I do, can I skip the agents fee? That is if the owner lowers to 12000, cus all that she did was show me the house once.

On the other hand, I have also contacted various other agents and I think whoever can negotiate for me, I will pay them. This is actually the best case scenario as am not familiar with all the procedures other than am taking a loan from the bank.

Eitherway, can the agent A still sue me for their fee? If I can prove that they didn't negotiate for me and I had to negotiate myself or go through other agents.

Thanks!

at46

Re: Orden de visita

Post by at46 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:44 pm

soyena wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:30 pm
I have seen a house that I like with agent A, she told me the price is 12800, I said I would pay 12000, she immediately tells me it is impossible, without consulting the owner. Now, I have the owners contact and honestly i would like to negotiate with the owner myself. But if I do, can I skip the agents fee? That is if the owner lowers to 12000, cus all that she did was show me the house once.

On the other hand, I have also contacted various other agents and I think whoever can negotiate for me, I will pay them. This is actually the best case scenario as am not familiar with all the procedures other than am taking a loan from the bank.

Eitherway, can the agent A still sue me for their fee? If I can prove that they didn't negotiate for me and I had to negotiate myself or go through other agents.

Thanks!
Judging from your title, you signed an orden de visita, meaning you confirmed she did work for you, however little you think it was. An agent can't move on price without consulting the owner, that's just not how it works here or anywhere. Honestly, the situation doesn't look good on you, and I wouldn't be surprised if she does sue you for the full amount of her fees if you circumvent her.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

real estate agents have in recent years gone to these contracts to view a house or property, but are still at best incompetent; at worst, criminals. we never allow our clients to sign those type of contracts. if they insist we move on to another property or agent.

that said, the other option to keep the piece, is contact the owner. make your offer. if he accepts, and the sale moves forward, pay your share of the commision. think of it as a finders fee.

we get a lot of deals were an agent is involved already when we take over the final closing procedures, and we bluntly tell the real estate agent to shut-up, stay out of the way, and you will get your commission. the particularly incomptent ones, we tell the seller to sort it out with agent. our client did not hire them, so you pay them. typicaly situations where agents pop-up out of the blue to try and collect a commision after a deal is done and they had nothing to do with it.

we have seen a trend in recent years though where agents, especialy around santiago, will not even try to negotiate a sale, and never even inform the seller of the offer.

over the years we have had numerious deals that were otherwise completly fine, moving forward to closing, and frigen real estate agent injects themselves in to the process to the point of nearly killing the deal, at the signing phase. often times we don't even understand what they are thinking. if they stayed out of the way, they would be paid in short order. there was absolutely nothing more for them to contribute to the sale. they do things like try to mess with the contracts. give conflicting instructions to the notary without authorizarion from anyone. just realy bizarre behavior, and not like those are isolated cases. i would say about 10% of the agents we have encountered over the years do something strange at a very avanced stage of the deal, to try and sink the deal, for no good reason other than they are morons.

so we often go with pay them to go away aproach. stay out of the way, you will get your commision.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

soyena

Post by soyena » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

But if I go through another agent? Cus there is this other agent that is quite sure she can get the price lower.
The thing is not how I think agent A did too little, but she didn't even bothered to talk to the owner! :(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 pm

skip the agents. Talk to the owner, and tell the owner what happened.

Could the agent in theory come after you?

Perhaps, if they are willing to spend millions of pesos and years in court, just to possibly loose in the end.

Half the agents in the country do not even know who the owners are.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

soyena

Post by soyena » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm

I don't know , that is what am trying to find out, if I can skip the agent if I signed a orden de visita already with one agent.

proger

Post by proger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:08 pm

I had similar case In Uruguay and it's really vary from agent to agent. I've just been intimidating to him when I felt he is trying to get advantage of me, don't be afraid to be agressive with them, but again every case is different...
hope you'll get lucky in this one.

anyway it's better not to use agents at all if you can.