Any policy for foreigner who rent apartments then sublet to tourists/ travelers

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Anny

Any policy for foreigner who rent apartments then sublet to tourists/ travelers

Post by Anny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 am

Hello,

I would like to know If I could rent some apartments, renovate it (if needed), decoration, furnishing... then sublet it to my friends/ other travelers/ tourists...?
I guess I should discuss with the landlord and incase the lanlord approved it, then do I need to register with local police? Should I apply any paper to the police department so my guest can get the address to apply/ extend for their visa in Chile?
How can they transfer rental to me if I don’t have a bank account?

Thank you and saludos

Donnybrook

Re: Any policy for foreigner who rent apartments then sublet to tourists/ travelers

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 am

I can't think that any landlord would approve this and you cannot do it without their approval. If the landlord were interested in short term letting then presumably they would do it themselves. Without approval, and permission written into your rental contract, it would be illegal letting.You would also be liable for sales tax, IVA, as it would be income.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Any policy for foreigner who rent apartments then sublet to tourists/ travelers

Post by admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am

Yea, you need an explicit permission in the contract.

Police have nothing to do with it.

Many buildings and communities are implementing anti-airbnb rules to stop the short stay industry.

That is all besides being properly registered with the irs and taxes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

In Chile, the law is an ass.....the most outrageous things can happen with properties. Don't try this at home.
Un hombre es acusado de subarrendar, las habitaciones de una casa que se tomó hace algunos meses en Providencia. Días atrás, el dueño fue sacado de su propio inmueble. (When he tried to expel his unwanted lodgers)

El acusado explicó que la casona estaba abandonada y decidió tomársela. Luego falsificó contratos de arriendo, para arrendar las casi diez habitaciones que hay al interior.

En entrevista exclusiva con Chilevision Noticias, aclaró que se trataría de un "vacío legal", que incluso otras personas repiten en otros lugares.

Ahora, este hombre decidió autodenunciarse a la justicia y se puso a disposición para solucionar el problema. A pesar de esto, continúa recibiendo el dinero de arriendo, de una casa que no es de su propiedad.
The autodenuncia is his attempt to "solve the problem" by legalizing the misappropriation.

http://www.chvnoticias.cl/nacional/homb ... 33100.html
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
In Chile, the law is an ass.....the most outrageous things can happen with properties. Don't try this at home.
Un hombre es acusado de subarrendar, las habitaciones de una casa que se tomó hace algunos meses en Providencia. Días atrás, el dueño fue sacado de su propio inmueble. (When he tried to expel his unwanted lodgers)

El acusado explicó que la casona estaba abandonada y decidió tomársela. Luego falsificó contratos de arriendo, para arrendar las casi diez habitaciones que hay al interior.

En entrevista exclusiva con Chilevision Noticias, aclaró que se trataría de un "vacío legal", que incluso otras personas repiten en otros lugares.
It reminded me of something I heard on the news:
U.S. Embassy worker refuses to pay back rent, claims diplomatic immunity

Unexpected twist takes dispute between Ottawa landlord and former tenant to higher court

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/em ... -1.4504001
Ottawa landlord warns against renting to foreign diplomats after U.S. embassy worker skips rent

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/po ... e37784522/

Anny

Post by Anny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 am

Thank you for your useful advise
And how much will the Goverment charge for the income tax? Is there any public policy/ law to protect the landlord or the tenant? Or we will all negotiate in person based on the common sense?
How is the leasing market in Chile, spacific in Santiago, is the real estate market depends on the landlords? Are the negotiation articals depending on the landlord’s ethic and kindness?