Security Concerns

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Britkid

Security Concerns

Post by Britkid » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Got a report in our condominio whatsapp of a robbery (2 houses). Looking into the details, the key was that the house used to enter the condominio was the last one in the condominio and its fence passes directly to the public road. There was actually a metal door there, which is always locked and never used as an entrance to the property, so they went through that door by breaking the padlock. Pretty easy way to bypass the guards since it is a large rural condominio and this point is far from and out of site from the guarded entrances.

Reminds me that in our last condominio/parcela there was one neighbour who reported a robbery and said she had been robbed 4 or 5 times. Again, last house in the parcela, right at the back. Her garden fence is also the fence marking the end of the condominio. Once the thieves go over the fence, they are just gone.

(The same thing happened to me at University in England when our ground floor flat was the last one of the buildings next to a wood. Our robbery rate was far higher than the other buildings.)

These houses in Chile are weak points because they are rich people's houses without corresponding security levels,so they make tempting targets. Their robbery rate is dramatically higher, but the price of the house will probably be about the same.

Overall robbery rate around here seems reasonably low. In the last 2-3 years, I've heard of no robberies at all of houses that are in the middle of the condominio (that's most of them), where a thief would likely have to get to the house by breaking through someone else's gardens to get to yours, or getting past the entrance barrier/guards, or walking a fair distance through the condominio.

Based on this experience, which is admittedly a very small sample size, but adding a bit of common sense, I think living in a rural condominio and then selecting the house that borders directly to a field/road is a less safe choice, possibly by a very wide margin. You're better off if all sides of your house are surrounded by other properties or fenced vacant lots. If there are even 2 properties on all sides of your house before you get to the edge of the condominio, even better.

If I bordered directly to the outside and lived in a condominio in a rural area, I would consider extra security measures. Although I doubt I will ever live in such a house.

The other thing I've heard more about in the last year or so, not just in the news but also locally (included the condominios across the road from ours where there have been at least 2 reports) is the portonazo. That, as most of you live in Chile will already know is when people getting out of the car to open the porton (gate) of their house or condominio are attacked and have their car stolen. This is less of a danger if you have a guarded entrance way or automatic opening (electric button) gate so you don't have to get out of the car. This tends to happen in smaller condominios that won't have a guard but can happen anywhere. Suggest to keep the doors locked at this point and be especially suspicious of anyone hanging around the entrance or approaching the car. You just need to remember to go on super high alert at this point.

This may all be stating the obvious for the old timers, so hope it's useful for the newbie lurkers at least.

I am not trying to suggest we live in fear though, either. I certainly don't. I think the media creates of exaggerated sense of excessive crime waves and I don't buy into it.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

frozen-north

Re: Security Concerns

Post by frozen-north » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Infografía: Cinco consejos para evitar los "portonazos" | El Mercurio

http://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/2 ... nazos.html

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm
I think the media creates of exaggerated sense of excessive crime waves and I don't buy into it.
You know there is a problem when even quite small shops are fitting anti-ram bollards.
Both of these are situated 100 metres from the main police station in La Serena.
This first one, a Jewellers has been robbed several times:
IMG_0829a.jpg
IMG_0831a.jpg

And a lament from another (-ex) storeowner on the same street-even nearer the cop shop......

IMG_0417a.jpg
These are just the ones I pass by every day.....
Last week, a vacant property opposite mine was broken into. They flooded the street attempting to steal the water meter. Lots of low-level criminality here.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 pm

We installed a rather rabid, but senior PDI officer and his family at the front of our rural condominium. He bought the house on the corner, where everyone has to pass to enter. Helped cut down on robberies dramatically.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 pm
We installed a rather rabid, but senior PDI officer and his family at the front of our rural condominium. He bought the house on the corner, where everyone has to pass to enter. Helped cut down on robberies dramatically.
:lol: Is that your security system?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Unless a condo is ridiculously huge, it shouldn't cost more than, let's say, USD $3000 to put cameras all over it and motion sensors at weak spots (gates near the fence, lower fence areas, etc). This is a back-of-a-napkin calculation, but it might be worth investigating. Getting it split among the tenants will make it a lower financial strain.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm
Unless a condo is ridiculously huge, it shouldn't cost more than, let's say, USD $3000 to put cameras all over it and motion sensors at weak spots (gates near the fence, lower fence areas, etc). This is a back-of-a-napkin calculation, but it might be worth investigating. Getting it split among the tenants will make it a lower financial strain.
Probably cost that much just to wire the place up with CAT-5 cable and install the extra illumination needed.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 pm

And what will accomplish? Not much, all the lighting and cameras will not deter delinquents. It may slow them down for few days but back to business again in no time.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm
Probably cost that much just to wire the place up with CAT-5 cable and install the extra illumination needed.
CAT-5 cables go for USD $35 per 1000ft/300m, so $0.12 per meter. Even at a 100% import prices mark up, that's $0.25 per meter, or $250 per kilometer. With all due respect, if you're monitoring a condo large enough for CAT-5 prices to be a factor, then you should have a much higher security budget to even begin with, considering the reported crime rates.

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 pm
And what will accomplish? Not much, all the lighting and cameras will not deter delinquents. It may slow them out for few days but back to business again in no time.
Yes, cameras, lighning and sensors don't hinder criminals. Armed guards do (see: Admin's rabid ex-cop). And by having proper info about where a perimeter is being breached, the guards can take action against the trespassers. Certainly taking no action will not help.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Armed guards? Still won't work. What's needed is a true Charles Bronson to "teach them a lesson they'll never remember" :lol:

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 pm
CAT-5 cables go for USD $35 per 1000ft/300m, so $0.12 per meter. Even at a 100% import prices mark up, that's $0.25 per meter, or $250 per kilometer. With all due respect, if you're monitoring a condo large enough for CAT-5 prices to be a factor, then you should have a much higher security budget to even begin with, considering the reported crime rates.
How are you going to run all that cable, string it up among the trees? Or tie-wrap it to fences?
Since this is a security system perhaps running the cables in metallic conduit or even burying them would be better.
But direct burial and outdoor grade cable is considerably more expensive that the prices you quote, and conduit isn't cheap either. That's where the installation costs come in, labour as well as materials. Dont forget the PoE switches, distribution boxes and cabinets,and IR or conventional illuminators either. And backhoe rental.
Après moi, le déluge

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 am

No one has said anything about a big dog or dogs----we had two but you have to train them to only eat from you and out of their own dish as bad guys will just poison meat and through it over the fence-----don't think that you are not being cased all the time----bad guys and even neighbors will watch your routine and hand it off to whomever so its simple to watch your schedule and habits and that is more than half the battle, domestic help is an issue as well with knowing your routine-----The roof is the generally the weakest point in a Chilean house so its usually kids they drop in and then unlock the door or through an unlocked or un barred window on the second floor-----