one last look

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Re: one last look

Post by nikotromus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 pm

And, there is good and bad in that. Juxtapose Chile's stringent banking policies with the U.S's whoreish banking policies that lead to the 2008 financial meltdown. Which is worse?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:52 am

nikotromus wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

"she said that she and her Chilean husband were weeks away from leaving Vina to go back to where we had just left. The reasons she stated were lack of job opportunity, the low salaries here and the fact that even though her husband was Chilean, they wouldn't open a bank account for them. She said anything that takes 3 steps in the U.S. takes 10 steps in Chile. She said after they had bought the plane tickets to go to the U.S., they finally opened an account for them.
Does it sound familiar?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:22 am

Yes. Unfortunately.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 am

nikotromus wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 pm
And, there is good and bad in that. Juxtapose Chile's stringent banking policies with the U.S's whoreish banking policies that lead to the 2008 financial meltdown. Which is worse?
It wasn't only the U.S. bankers. All the Western world's corrupt, greedy Central Banks have/had a hand in that.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 am

nikotromus wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm
We can do it without a mortgage. ..........If we had to rely on a mortgage, a purchase her would be impossible for us.
Thanks for getting back to me.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am

I'm taking a hard second look at building from scratch. Buying pre-built in Chile really makes you scratch your head when you consider what you get for the money. Adding to that concern is that I see absolutely nothing that actually sells outside of the Santiago area. At least not the places I've been looking at.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:57 am

Consider buying a building lot and putting a prefab house on it.
I recently bought a small cabana to use as a guest house.
This is a link to the company I used but there are many others if you do a bit of searching.

http://www.construkit.cl

It comes as insulated panels which are bolted together. Everything is included, foundation, roof, deck/patio, trim, windows and doors.
You supply water and electrical connections and a septic system.

They will even supply a crew to assemble it for you. I put it together myself and it wasn't difficult.
I am very pleased with the result and much cheaper than building from scratch. At least half the price or less.

Definitely worth looking into.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 am

I've looked into it. Trying to find a compromise from the life of luxury we left in the States and something here in Chile. When you've got a wife begging you every day to go back home, I'm not sure something like that would entice her to put roots down here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am

yea, watch out for all the prefab "houses" that are trying to sell 5 million pesos of badly put together materials, for nearly the price of new custom house.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:24 am

nikotromus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 am
I've looked into it. Trying to find a compromise to the life of luxury we left in the States and something here in Chile. When you've got a wife begging you every day to go back home, I'm not sure something like that would entice her to put roots down here.
If your wife is begging to go back home every day then you should seriously consider doing that. I don't know what that might entail for you financially etc. but if half a couple are unhappy then you will both be unhappy. Buying a house is complicated in Chile and you need to be completely sure you both want to give Chile a go. Walking away from a rented property is a lot easier than selling up. You appear to have capital (not needing a mortgage) and that should generate at least part of the cost of renting. I would not buy until you have been in Chile for 2-3 years. That seems to be the average cut off point for people who stay and people who go.

Just some unasked for, hopefully not unwelcome, advice is to sit down together and map out what your goals are for life here and what it would take to make each of you happy to live here. Language issues can be overcome. Cultural issues can be adapted to. But you do have to look at the pro/con balance for both of you and see if it is going to work. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Life is always a work in progress!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:59 am

I have considered cashing-in my properties in Brazil to get a house in La Serena, but the cost-benefit ratio turned me off. That looked to be the best area for me, as it has the "best" weather throughout the year and it has easy airport access, but I couldn't find any property that would make it worth it. For the price I would need to pay, I could quite literally get a mansion in Portugal, so I didn't find it to be worth it.

Still, I wish you best of luck looking for a house in that area. I also echo Donnybrook's comment: it might be worth analyzing your long-term goals, as it will be very hard to cash in a property you purchased if/when you decide to move out of the country.

bobserb

Post by bobserb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:08 pm

It is easy to buy a house.It might take years to sell one.Even if you find a perfect house,after few months could move next to you a bad neighbour(loud music,drugs...) who could make it even harder to sell.