Insulation

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Insulation

Post by nikotromus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Hola ya'll,

Does anyone know if there is any insulation in wood framed houses in Chile? We see a lot of wood houses in Santo Domingo, and we're wondering if any of them have the pink insulation that American homes have? Or, is it just siding and drywall? I have no idea how we could tell without ripping out a piece of a wall.

Bonus question: We saw 7 houses in Santo Domingo, and 5 out of the 7 had visible water damage in the ceilings. One of the two houses that didn't have water damage had giant cracks in the walls that you could stick the tip of your fingers in. Is that normal for Chile?

Thanks in advance?

GringoVikingo

Re: Insulation

Post by GringoVikingo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 am

Nope! If it rain they use saw dust to suck up the water...
5 years ago, I used a maestro carpenter, that refuse to touch "vidrio de lana" because it scratched him.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 am

There are three modern types-----typical fiber glass in rolls and "plumivit" which is styrofoam that comes in sheets in different thicknesses---the plumivit is the same as a the old school styrofoam you would drink a cup of coffee from stateside---sometimes you can get it with foil on one side and sometimes not-----the third is the still plumivit but it comes in blocks so you frame up your house and then place the hollowed out bricks in the wall----I have seen it where homes are built with the styrofoam blocks and then filled with concrete and plastered over on the exterior and interior buts it rare---the blocks are hard to find-----I have seen structures with the walls filled with sawdust as wells as lambs wool and also crunched up balls of newspaper.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 am

Come on?

This is a got money, no problem, sort of problem.

If you buy a shack built by some local maestro, yea your going to get garbage. Dont be a cheapskat.

If you are willing to spend the money there are good houses in chile built to international standards.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.