common fees on real estate

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Re: common fees on real estate

Post by nikotromus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 am

Las Condes cracks me up. There are security guards EVERYWHERE! They even guard parking lots in Lo Branechea! The other day I was in a grocery store where I was the only shopper, but there were 3 security guards there watching me (remind me again why the prices are so high i Chile? Right, because we're all paying for this security). Been in Chile 3 months now, and I have yet to see any of them fighting crime. In fact, I have yet to see any crime whatsoever. Hopefully, just once before I leave this land I'll get to see one of these highly trained security professionals perform a high tech Jiu-Jutsu maneuver on one of these dangerous Chilean criminal masterminds. But, in realidad, I'll probably have to scotch tape few one mil pesos to my abrigo and fetch a subway ride from Los Dominicos to Los Heros in the hopes that someone rips it off of my jacket so that I can finally experience an actual crime here.

I have spoken to people who have said their house has been robbed. I used to date a cop in the states who investigated home break ins. She said that she never once investigated a home break in where the homeowners had a dog at the house. I stayed a month in Vina Del Mar, and errbody had giant German Sheppard's that would love to have ripped my head off of my shoulders if the metal fence wasn't separating us. I wonder how many break ins happen with those creatures lurking about?

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 am

ok just one more...

Mi esposa:"Why do they use PVC pipes for gutters here?" mi mismo: "Because if they used aluminum, someone would climb the barbed wire and electric fences and steal them! Claro que...

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 am

FYI: consumer prices in the US are too low, they are average here.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 am

I saw a mechero get nailed at the local Lider about two weeks ago. I think I've seen him before, one of the local dirty, bearded, mid-aged always drunk/drugged on the street types. Best I gather he was stealing items and putting them into his parka pockets and then must of gotten the idea to also slash the strap off a customer's handbag and dash to the finish line. He was first corralled and detained near the elevator by three guards and they twice pushed him down to the floor forcefully with him loudly banging against the metal door of the elevator as they did so and then he made a final run to the stairs to the under structure parking lot. More guards and employees ran down helping. A minute later, a female employee comes up the steps and shows a long slash on her palm to her colleagues as she made her way to the bathroom. The detained struggling ass was brought up, the stolen items removed from his person and he was forcefully put into a holding cell, the guards loudly slamming the metal door shut.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Post by mem » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Regarding dog security. Yes, that certanly seems to be the status quo. Dogs for days almost everywhere. In some places it hard to be a cat that goes outdoors and survive. I have heard of banditos using juicy raw steaks to placate the snarling dogs. Toss em a few steaks and then proceed to steal stuff while the dogs are eating. That might work with typical dogs, but I would think if the dogs are well trained security dogs they wouldn't fall for that and will still attack the intruders and then go back and finish the steaks!

Security is really important. I have learned a lot about scoping out houses for rent down in the country in the south.I can't really speak for Santiago not having lived there more than a few weeks, but down here you gotta look at proximity to the main road. Can they see the house from the road? Is there public access road right next to the house on any of the borders? Is there a tree line with field behind it that a car/truck can drive into, park on the treeline and then head into your property/house? That happened to some people we know. So if they can get a vehicle in proximity to your property line and then make a few trips to and from your house with electronics, computers, etc they probably will.

One thing we have learned is the presence or absence of an alarm on the house. Most if not all the alarms on houses down here are not connected to the police or anything like you might find in Canada or the US. Typically the alarm just sounds a loud noise. Pretty toothless. So many times we have lived in areas where we hear someone alarm going off ALL DAY. Like 8-12 hours. This is in a large country condomino where maybe only 20% of the houses are occupied all year, the rest are summer only houses. So they have alarms in some cases, but they end up mostly a nuisance to the bandits and they still can haul off some of your stuff and be in and out in 30minutes...faster than it takes some distant nieghbor who is actually present there to mozy on over due to sheer noise pollution annoyance and wonder what is going on.

So now I know that if a house has an alarm...it is because the chilean owners thinks it needs an alarm, which generally means we pass on it. Most chilean won't bother with the expense to install an alarm unless they get their arm tweaked with a previous burglary or worse

Then there are country houses that are far off the road, relatively secluded, possibly controlled access to get within a km of the house and no alarm is present or needed. Just so many factors to consider in terms of the location and what is surrounding the house. Also seen controlled access condominios that you would think are totally safe, but then you have to look what is surrounding the condominio. Can bandits hop the fence and come in from the back or side and bypass the gate? Or worse can they get a vehicle along the back or side of the property?

One of the best places to rent or buy if your are looking for a small plot(hectare or less) is to find an affluent chilean family that owns 5-50 hectares and already has the place basically gated/fenced off. They probably have a family house on a half or full hectare and then probably a grandparents house on another half/full hectare and then the rest is open land that is just let wild. If they like you and you can purchase a piece from them you can avoid the condominio fees and if its considered agricultural land outside the urban zone there is no property tax either so the overhead fees are basically nill while still having good security and everyone there knows everyone that should or shouldnt be there, etc. So you can take off for the weekend or for a few weeks and the other residents are still there holding down the fort or fundo as it were.

I do hope they do not one day change the free property tax on the agricultural land. That is such a great thing