looking for a builder

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Re: looking for a builder

Post by admin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

Yea what the builders font know here would literaly fill a book.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 am

Even reputable builders sometimes get caught out by dodgy workers burying little time bombs in the construction, and then blame the worker. Lack of oversight and supervision on the part of the builder.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm about to start a remodeling project in the San Antonio area. House needs: a new roof with insulation; new siding with insulation; thermopane windows - amongst other details. As for materials which are actually available, my thoughts were along the lines of exterior OSB over fibre glass
insulation with perhaps T111 siding. I'm ok with painting the siding every now and then, but wonder if there are better options? Please don't say
plastic siding. Also, I wonder if Tivec is available or will old fashioned tar paper do the job.

BTW, the house has what looks like a decent concrete and stone foundation, so I'm not too worried about that. It's decently sited for solar panels.
Has anyone had any experience with roof top solar panels, just as a boost, not as primary power source?

As for the builder - no thanks to the maestros off the street. They seem to say what they think you want to hear, and then do what they want to do whenever they feel like it. So the challenge is to find an architect/builder who does quality work. This is difficult in any country of course.

All suggestions will be most appreciated.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

admin wrote:
Yea what the builders font know here would literaly fill a book.
Julito wrote:
Even reputable builders....
What is a "builder"? Someone that builds? A *maestro* is a builder?
If anyone is going to just hire a *maestro* of the street to build their house instead of a qualified professional, then they should not be complaining about the lack of knowledge of the 'maestro'.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:20 pm

ghibli wrote:
As for the builder - no thanks to the maestros off the street.
In addition to the architects there is also the profession of 'constructor civil'.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks. I will look into that. As for what is a "maestro off the street" they are the ones who put in doors which don't close; pipes
which leak (a speciality) curtain rods that don't slide; windows painted shut, etc etc etc. If you have never met one, count yourself
very very lucky.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

ghibli wrote:I'm about to start a remodeling project in the San Antonio area. House needs: a new roof with insulation; new siding with insulation; thermopane windows - amongst other details. As for materials which are actually available, my thoughts were along the lines of exterior OSB over fibre glass
insulation with perhaps T111 siding. I'm ok with painting the siding every now and then, but wonder if there are better options? Please don't say
plastic siding. Also, I wonder if Tivec is available or will old fashioned tar paper do the job.

BTW, the house has what looks like a decent concrete and stone foundation, so I'm not too worried about that. It's decently sited for solar panels.
Has anyone had any experience with roof top solar panels, just as a boost, not as primary power source?

As for the builder - no thanks to the maestros off the street. They seem to say what they think you want to hear, and then do what they want to do whenever they feel like it. So the challenge is to find an architect/builder who does quality work. This is difficult in any country of course.

Tyvek (not some copy), is fairly priceless, even badly installed. Stop the air from going through all the cracks, even if everything else is badly done. Ideally it needs to be taped, overlapped, properly sealed around the window; but, even with all those details the workers here seem to regularly fail to grasp or do correctly, the difference between a house with it and without it, is very noticeable. Even if it is a bit more expensive, it will pay you back in in heating very rapidly. Then worry about all the other things.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:47 pm

ghibli wrote: I wonder if Tivec is available or will old fashioned tar paper do the job.
http://www.sodimac.cl/sodimac-cl/produc ... rap/882674

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:19 pm

ghibli wrote:I'm about to start a remodeling project in the San Antonio area. House needs: a new roof with insulation; new siding with insulation; thermopane windows - amongst other details. As for materials which are actually available, my thoughts were along the lines of exterior OSB over fibre glass

Make sure your concrete house roof does not have a tin metal panel as if covered in "Zinc" metals. Don't think you can install solar panels a top a Zinc roof. Last time when I was visiting EEUU in Llolleo by San Antonio, was looking down from his high rise balcony down and saw the houses below were all covered in metal roofs!
I thought all houses built with concrete and cement in Chile had a roof using same materials but NO, guess cheaper with the metal roof cover.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks to Admin and at46. I will go to Sodimac. If need be, I can tape the Tyvek myself. So... if I may beg for more suggestions:
I'm thinking of the plain vanilla asphalt shingle type roof. Best placed over exterior plywood in my way of thinking as OSB isn't very strong.
Do I need to be worried about drip edges given that there is no ice here?

To hybridambassador. Yes, alas it does have a metal roof which will be going fast. I am absolutely amazed to see metal roofs with NO insulation. My plan is shingles as I said. I want to insulate it, and will very likely need to add some rafters - if not replace all of them -
plus new roof deck. So it will be strong enough for solar. It's a big project but the house has some very cool features so I'm excited about it.
I also expect to need to reframe around the windows.... on and on.

Yes, I totally agree about using quality materials. Cheapest in the end. And finally, thanks for the website and web comrades.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:16 pm

ghibli wrote: I'm thinking of the plain vanilla asphalt shingle type roof. Best placed over exterior plywood in my way of thinking as OSB isn't very strong.
Do I need to be worried about drip edges given that there is no ice here?

I am absolutely amazed to see metal roofs with NO insulation. My plan is shingles as I said. I want to insulate it, and will very likely need to add some rafters - if not replace all of them -
If you intend to put shingles you always use drip edges. Is it a vaulted or cathedral ceiling? If it's a vaulted ceiling insulate between the rafters.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm

"asphalt shingle type roof"

That is another one to make sure the builder has experience with. Not very many are installed correctly, and if you figure the life is somewhere between 30-50 years on an asphalt roof (depending on the climate), not many that have been installed more than say 10-15 years anywhere in the country, so their failure or problems have not shown up yet. They are relatively new tech in Chile.

It seems like a simple thing to do, but nothing is simple when it comes to the workers here.