looking for a builder

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: looking for a builder

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Sometimes 5's are scary, because they're loud and they startle you. And sometimes 6's just sort of make the ground wavy, and aren't scary at all. We had an 8+ here in 2015, and it was pretty "concerning", but it wasn't really that scary. And there was very little visible damage in my neighborhood (nothing I saw on the outside, mainly just some small cracks where walls and ceilings are joined, like you'd see when a house settles). Most of the houses here are made out of concrete, and are joined together. The plumbing here sucks, but I was impressed with how well everything held up to the earthquake.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
nikotromus
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am
Location: Santa Cruz

Re: looking for a builder

Post by nikotromus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Can you please define 'light structure'? Do you mean construct the house out of wood and NOT concrete/adobe? Or, do you mean keep the house under a certain size (sf, sm)?

Thanks Admin!

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: looking for a builder

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:56 pm

I've heard that cobb houses are pretty sturdy, because they're basically one solid piece. Not individual bricks, like adobe.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: looking for a builder

Post by Space Cat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Why build anything small from rocks here? I will build a house I'm comfortable to lie under if another 9.6 strikes. That means wood and a single story.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: looking for a builder

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:05 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Sometimes 5's are scary, because they're loud and they startle you. And sometimes 6's just sort of make the ground wavy, and aren't scary at all. We had an 8+ here in 2015, and it was pretty "concerning", but it wasn't really that scary. And there was very little visible damage in my neighborhood (nothing on the outside, just some small cracks where walls and ceilings are joined, like you'd see when a house settles). Most of the houses here are made out of concrete, and are joined together. The plumbing here sucks, but I was impressed with how well everything held up to the earthquake.
It varies by depth (the shallower tend to be more up and down), distance from epi, and if there is magma involved. The 8.8 sounded like the roar of being under a jumbo jet (yes it was that loud) and I was not near the epicenter though I was in the edge of the rectangular max shake zone mapped by the USGS. In my time on the coast, I have been through one mega, one 8, five or so 7s, more than double that amount of 6s, maybe fifty 5s, and a hundred or so feelable 4s and 3s. The projected future Valpo quake is supposed to be a 9.0+ perhaps bigger than 1960 Valdivia.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: looking for a builder

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Space Cat wrote:Why build anything small from rocks here?
If you're talking about cobb, it's basically mud and straw. Not rocks.
Space Cat wrote:I will build a house I'm comfortable to lie under if another 9.6 strikes. That means wood and a single story.
I'm still considering converting an old bus, complete with shock absorbers:) I'm in a 2-story house now, and don't like having that 2nd story over my head. And it's harder to heat too, because everything goes upstairs, and I spend most of my time downstairs.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: looking for a builder

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Sometimes 5's are scary, because they're loud and they startle you. And sometimes 6's just sort of make the ground wavy, and aren't scary at all. We had an 8+ here in 2015, and it was pretty "concerning", but it wasn't really that scary. And there was very little visible damage in my neighborhood (nothing on the outside, just some small cracks where walls and ceilings are joined, like you'd see when a house settles). Most of the houses here are made out of concrete, and are joined together. The plumbing here sucks, but I was impressed with how well everything held up to the earthquake.
It varies by depth (the shallower tend to be more up and down), distance from epi, and if there is magma involved. The 8.8 sounded like the roar of being under a jumbo jet (yes it was that loud) and I was not near the epicenter though I was in the edge of the rectangular max shake zone mapped by the USGS. In my time on the coast, I have been through one mega, one 8, five or so 7s, more than double that amount of 6s, maybe fifty 5s, and a hundred or so feelable 4s and 3s. The projected future Valpo quake is supposed to be a 9.0+ perhaps bigger than 1960 Valdivia.
I think the 8+ we had here was relatively mild, for a large earthquake. I think the scariest one for me, was a 5+ that must've been shallow and close by. And it was scary because it startled me, and woke me up.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: looking for a builder

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Even here, the Coquimgo quake was a rolling (but long) one, it was similar to the Rancagua 7 during the Piñera innaguaration.

The 8.8 was both violent side-to side with occasional violent up-and-down movements.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
nikotromus
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am
Location: Santa Cruz

Re: looking for a builder

Post by nikotromus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 pm

This 12 point checklist looks very interesting. I wonder how much it would cost to build a house that scores an 11 or 12?

http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/d ... eady-house

Niko

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17354
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: looking for a builder

Post by admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm

nikotromus wrote:Can you please define 'light structure'? Do you mean construct the house out of wood and NOT concrete/adobe? Or, do you mean keep the house under a certain size (sf, sm)?

Thanks Admin!
One to two story wood house; or, what ever you prefer to fall on your head.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17354
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: looking for a builder

Post by admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Here buy this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Residential-Ligh ... 0876290128

It comes with pictures.

Show it to your archetch and builders. If they do half of what the book says, count yourself lucky, and your house 1000× better built than anything else in the neughborhood.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: looking for a builder

Post by frozen-north » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:10 am

admin wrote:
Don't let anyone talk you in to adobe or concrete, unless you are ready to plop down some serious change for engineering it correctly.

P.s. make sure what ever maestro is building your house...
If anyone is going to just hire a *maestro* of the street to build their house instead of a qualified professional, then they should not be complaining about the lack of knowledge of the 'maestro'. And if they do, then those doing the hiring are the ones responsible for the result.

Post Reply