looking for a builder

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

looking for a builder

Post by nikotromus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 pm

I am sure I will receive more than one thinly veiled insult for even conjuring this question, but here goes anyway. Does anyone know of any "good" builders in Region 7 (Maule)? From what I have read thus far, quality builders in Chile are hard to come by. But, there have to be a handful of thoughtful, competent crews out there somewhere. I just went through the biggest earthquake of my life last night and I didn't see any damage in Santiago! A 5.5 has a much different affect on the infrastructure in Oklahoma. (A testament to the construction here)

Thank you very much in advance,

Niko

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: looking for a builder

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm

For your insulting not vieled insult - 5.5 is a pussy quake here in Chile, just another day on the central coast... :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:57 pm

I was told this morning that it was a 'minor quake'. Wow - sure felt like the world was ending to me. My dog about had a heart attack.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm

nikotromus wrote:I was told this morning that it was a 'minor quake'. Wow - sure felt like the world was ending to me. My dog about had a heart attack.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...with the next one you better have change of underwear ready or a box of diapers... :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm originally from the LA area and the people back home have NOOOOOO idea what an active quake area means or is like. Biiggest quake before I moved away from SoCal was the '71 San Fernando quake, I was a 6 and a half years old and that was quite a rocker. But then I came to Chile...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I believe hlf2888 lives in that area and she may be able to recommend a builder she may know.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Muchas Gracias Gloria!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:48 am

nikotromus wrote:Muchas Gracias Gloria!
:thumleft: and ask for references from the contractor and places he has built !!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:31 am

nikotromus wrote:I was told this morning that it was a 'minor quake'. Wow - sure felt like the world was ending to me. My dog about had a heart attack.
My cat does not even get out bed for a quake that small, but she is a veteran of the 2010 quake in Temuco, and several volcanic eruptions. In the 2010 quake, the refrigerator chased her around the kitchen and launched frozen steaks out of the freezer at ballistic speeds sufficient to bounce off the other wall. She refused to come in the house for 3 days. She hung out in the field across the street until most of the worse after shocks subsided.

One after shock hit, a few days after the big one, and I woke up to my cat on top of my wife jumping up and down on her chest to wake her up. She sensed the shock coming, and decided to wake us up and get us out of the house. Ever since, she has been our designated earthquake evacuation expert. anytime there is a shake on the way, she puts her tail straight in the area, and does a very determined, but not panicked, trot towards the door, stopping to alert everyone in the house that we need to all move calmly towards the door.

So, if that little 5+ (humans can not really feel much below a 5), is bothering you, I am not sure the 7th region is the best destination.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 pm

admin wrote:
My cat does not even get out bed for a quake that small, but she is a veteran of the 2010 quake in Temuco, and several volcanic eruptions. In the 2010 quake, the refrigerator chased her around the kitchen and launched frozen steaks out of the freezer at ballistic speeds sufficient to bounce off the other wall. She refused to come in the house for 3 days. She hung out in the field across the street until most of the worse after shocks subsided.

One after shock hit, a few days after the big one, and I woke up to my cat on top of my wife jumping up and down on her chest to wake her up. She sensed the shock coming, and decided to wake us up and get us out of the house. Ever since, she has been our designated earthquake evacuation expert. anytime there is a shake on the way, she puts her tail straight in the area, and does a very determined, but not panicked, trot towards the door, stopping to alert everyone in the house that we need to all move calmly towards the door.

So, if that little 5+ (humans can not really feel much below a 5), is bothering you, I am not sure the 7th region is the best destination.
I laughed so hard about this. Catquake detector system, haha

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

admin wrote:So, if that little 5+ (humans can not really feel much below a 5), is bothering you, I am not sure the 7th region is the best destination.
I've heard the quakes are rough in Region 7. That is why if I have something built, I want to make sure to do it right. I think I can deal with earthquakes. They seem a lot less scary than staying in the states.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Build a light structure with wood, make sure it is connected to the foundation, you will be fine for quakes north of 8.0+.

Anything larger, and you will have bigger problems to worrying about than if your house is still standing.

Don't let anyone talk you in to adobe or concrete, unless you are ready to plop down some serious change for engineering it correctly. At which point, you could just rebuild the house out of wood, and still save money (2 houses for the price one).

P.s. make sure what ever maestro is building your house actually get's the load paths more or less correct. they have a tendency to think gravity is some magical force that makes beams and loads levitate on their own.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.