what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm

duplicate/deleted
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 pm

admin wrote:yea, the 100 foot wave, was at the mouth of bay where a river flowed out between two large hills, that "channeled" the wave up the river.
I think that's similar to what happened in Lituya Bay. So someplace that looks enclosed and protected, might actually be worse than an area that looks completely open and exposed, since the water has nowhere to go but up.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:44 pm

seawolf would be a good was there real life witness for Pichi.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Despite thoughtful choice of location, if worse comes to worse and there is a tsunami there, the altitude of the home you are planning gives you a shorter distance to travel to reach personal safety.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Don't forget the best laid plans...probably the tsunami alert will go off while you are away from the house in a tsunami zone shopping or doing some other daily chore...
Another thing is, I'll be relying on the infrastructure in the surrounding area. So even if my house survives, and me with it, I'll still have big problems if the surrounding area is destroyed. Nowhere's going to be perfect, but it's something I need to consider.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:seawolf would be a good was there real life witness for Pichi.
I remember he recommended Pichilemu a long time ago, in the same thread you recommended San Antonio. I haven't ruled out either one yet, but Pichilemu seems a little riskier now for tsunamis. And San Antonio seems safer than I thought.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:54 pm

The Puerto de Gran Escala for San Antonio is supposedly being built around facilities that can survive a 9.0 and tsunami. Might be good to be near a surviving port as needed supplies arrive for the central region especially Santiasco and onwards.

Also remember that our area's biggest fear is the scheduled giant Valpo megaquake...so...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm

According to those ONEMI maps, I need to go a few blocks uphill to be safe. I think the worst one on record only got about halfway here though, and it would need to go up a small hill if it got even close. But it does seem reasonable, and it's consistent with the tsunami signs.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Also remember that our area's biggest fear is the scheduled giant Valpo megaquake...so...
I'll make sure I'm out of town that week:)

mem

Post by mem » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:17 pm

That Lituya bay Mega Tsunami is a very interesting thing to study considering the avalanche of dirt that caused it was actually caused by a relatively pedestrian EQ. 1700+ ft wave...just stunning

I have studied the landscape of most of Chile and like others mentioned...you gotta watch for the tidal bore. All that water is going to find the low points and outlets/inlets. What are those? Rivers and Lakes

Take the Los Angeles/Concepcion area for example. Its a giant river valley with Bio Bio. All that ocean water is going to flood everything surrounding major rivers, to the point people will be confused far inland to see a water coming at them from the opposite side of the ocean

Los Lagos and and Los Rios....ehhh, giant low lying river and lake valleys...its why its the lakes and rivers regions

I've used this tool quite a bit. It is related to sea level rise versus tsunami size, but it is still useful in that you can keep amping up the sea level rise and then see which areas flood first. With a large tsunami it will be the same areas that flood first....usually ocean fed rivers and lakes and the surrounding areas.

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/sealevel.html

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:03 pm

mem wrote:I've used this tool quite a bit. It is related to sea level rise versus tsunami size, but it is still useful in that you can keep amping up the sea level rise and then see which areas flood first. With a large tsunami it will be the same areas that flood first....usually ocean fed rivers and lakes and the surrounding areas.

Thanks, that helps. It even shows contour lines.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Open coast 20-30m (more and you have no house left as you were on top of the quake), end of channel or in small enclosed bay.......depends as admin said, in Port Alberni BC, after the big Anchorage Alaska quake in the early 60s, 50 foot fishing boats at the dock were moved up to 3 blocks inland, but it's at the end of a 50 mile fiord, though it was thousands of miles from the quake.......oh yeh the quake moved several streets in Anchorage down hill 30-40m....don't worry be happy.
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 pm

mem wrote:That Lituya bay Mega Tsunami is a very interesting thing to study considering the avalanche of dirt that caused it was actually caused by a relatively pedestrian EQ. 1700+ ft wave...just stunning

I have studied the landscape of most of Chile and like others mentioned...you gotta watch for the tidal bore. All that water is going to find the low points and outlets/inlets. What are those? Rivers and Lakes

Take the Los Angeles/Concepcion area for example. Its a giant river valley with Bio Bio. All that ocean water is going to flood everything surrounding major rivers, to the point people will be confused far inland to see a water coming at them from the opposite side of the ocean

Los Lagos and and Los Rios....ehhh, giant low lying river and lake valleys...its why its the lakes and rivers regions

I've used this tool quite a bit. It is related to sea level rise versus tsunami size, but it is still useful in that you can keep amping up the sea level rise and then see which areas flood first. With a large tsunami it will be the same areas that flood first....usually ocean fed rivers and lakes and the surrounding areas.

What your saying is the guys in the Bio Bio valley will take it from both directions should the dams fail and a tsunami is generated.........personally I would never live below a dam in Chile.......
It's all about the wine.